I have a Gibson Les Paul '59 reissue, a crate BV120h tube head and peavy cab, a volume pedal, and a boss os-2 overdrive/distortion pedal. I have been trying many ways to order these to where I can do this....

Have one channel (the amps clean channel) for obviously clean sounds, this really isnt the problem just stating that.

Have another channel/pedal that I can use for distortion backup, I would prefer for this to be my amps second channel because the distortion on that channel sounds way better to me than my os-2.

And now here is where the problem is. I basically want an overall boost of the amps distortion channel for my solos. I have tried putting my os-2 in the effects loop and even before the amp. none seem to work. I have also tried putting my volume pedal in the loop but that gets to where I often cannot get it dialed in right to balance with the band after returning from a solo.

Essentially I want to be able to stomp on the amps foot switch to go from clean to distortion, then from that have another switch that can give me a boost to that sound without changing the sound of the amp too much. I would prefer not to use the effects loop if possible because the extra wires I need to set that up get in the way a lot. I have about $300 to spend on new gear if anyone can recommend anything new that would solve this problem. Thanks for your help.
set the os-2 as an overdrive, then turn the gain down and the level up. if that doesnt get the results you want, look into a clean boost. it will just give you a little volume boost like you want
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Not sure if this might end tweaking your tone too much, but I also have a bv120h and I run a flanger (a crappy $25 ebay job) in the fx loop and it works great as a solo boost, strange as that may sound. It seems to add a lot of extra midrange honk and thickens things out nicely, as well as adding a bit of extra character to the sound. Not sure how this would work for you as it does alter the overall tone quite a bit, might be worth trying though.
What Clean boost pedal would you recommend? I havent really tried many brands of pedals outside of boss or digitec so not sure on some ones Iv'e been looking at.
If you have a chorus pedal, try that for a boost. It gives it some edge and cuts through more.

Alternatively, I suggest using an eq pedal with the mids up. This will pull your tone to the front of the mix.

I use both methods depending on the song, and I started using my guitars volume knob/pickup switch.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Bgranger11123
What Clean boost pedal would you recommend? I havent really tried many brands of pedals outside of boss or digitec so not sure on some ones Iv'e been looking at.

If you want a purely clean boost try reincaster's idea of using a graphic eq, that should allow you to push your amp a bit harder as well as shape your tone very effectively. You could also try something like the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal, which gives you the option of a traditional tubescreamer type sound or a purely clean boost.
http://www.voodoolab.com/sparkledrive.htm
I use my compressor/sustainer pedal for this purpose, works really well and doesn't change the sound that much, the only other pedal I use for solos is an overdrive pedal on top of my amps overdrive, but thats for dirty feedback type solos, it changes the sound a bit.
so much fail in here.

What you need (far better than a boost pedal for this app) is an eq pedal (parametric/graphic). Since your going for a 'solo' boost you want to boost the midrange to help you cut through the mix. The pedal will need to go after the preamp. If you put a boost pedal before distortion, it will only give you a slight boost in dirt levels