Didn't find anything with the search bar.

Forest fires have been raging in Alberta for the last little while to the point where places like Fort MacKay have been shut down until further notice. Fort MacKay is basically just like Fort McMurray, which is just a big industrial area. One town in particular, Slave Lake, has been engulfed and people are speculating that the entire area is going to be burned off of the map before they get the fires under control. I had a few family members in Fort MacKay who were told to leave, and have friends in Slave Lake who were all evacuated. There have only ever been a few fires this bad that I can remember, one of which was in the early 90s as it had nearly burned my hometown before it was put out, and then there was one which burned up Lac La Biche, Alberta a ways back.

There are reportedly over 40 fires. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage. Luckily this time, no one has been killed.

I was actually planning on going up to Fort MacKay for the summer too, but it looks like that plan is done for.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'm a good couple hours away from there, it has basically no chance of getting to where I live. But I do fear for the people, it's quite nasty up there. Lots of fires this year.
Yeah, right now I'm pretty safe too, at least until the fires make their way into Saskatchewan. These fires are going to be felt for years with the amount of damage caused.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'm pretty much in the middle of refugee center. Everyone from all around is heading to Westlock. I've just heard that Thorhild is (maybe?) being evacuated, and my great aunt is being stubborn and doesn't want to leave.

Several of my friends have had fires right near their places, one of them started about 800 yards away, but her house was safe, luckily.

Way too close to me for comfort though, and way too close to a lot of my friend's houses.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I'm from central BC so i'm not too worried but thats really terrible...Slave Lake is in biiiiiiiiig trouble
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
That sucks, man. There's been a fire about an hours' drive north of where I live burning for a couple of weeks (100k+ acres), and my car looks like some kind of artifact from Vesuvius in the morning. I can't imagine what it'd be like in the center of it.
For those who haven't heard about it, here are some pictures.

The town hall of Slave Lake 1 day ago.

Slave Lake 5 hours ago.
(Invalid img)

And there are more burning and out of control still. Not a good year for Alberta. Normally it wouldn't be this bad, but we've had winds gusting up to 100km/h the past few days that just blow them out of control without notice.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by RU Experienced?
Man up, a little fire never hurt anybody.

Tell that to the hundreds of people with no homes and no jobs anymore.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread