I can't seem to find a definition of it.
Thanks
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
it's a chord "progression" that consists only of two or three chords (usually two, though).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
So would the Song A horse with no name by America just be one long vamp?
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Vamps are usually just simple chord progressions, more often than not played over a vocalist's ramblings prior to kicking into a song. Frank Zappa would often have his band play a simple vamp over his song intros (see: Punky's Whips or The Illinois Enema Bandit)...
It can just be one chord. A vamp is a background for improvisation, yeah? yeah, that's exactly what it is. record a vamp for yourself so that you can practice improvising over it. It can literally just be one chord, and the simpler it is the better. The purpose in practicing that it serves is to give you a better idea of each individual tone's effect over a chord, and it is very useful. Vamos by the Pixies has a vamp in the middle of it, it's great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvn0U4lS24
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine
Last edited by Marcus_Wiesner at May 18, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
it's a chord "progression" that consists only of two or three chords (usually two, though).

Can be, but it can also be a short repeated phrase can't it?
Quote by Sóknardalr
Can be, but it can also be a short repeated phrase can't it?

i suppose -- i'd be more inclined to call that an ostinato or a riff, though.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i suppose -- i'd be more inclined to call that an ostinato or a riff, though.

I was under the impression that ostinato is the "proper" term and vamp is the colloquial one. I guess I was wrong, according to Wikipedia that is:

In music, a vamp is a repeating musical figure, section,[17] or accompaniment used in jazz, gospel, soul, and musical theater.[18]

The equivalent in classical music is an ostinato, in hip hop is the loop and in rock music is the riff.[17]

I guess it just depends what music you are playing. But do you agree that the terms can, in essence, describe the same thing?
Quote by Sóknardalr
I was under the impression that ostinato is the "proper" term and vamp is the colloquial one. I guess I was wrong, according to Wikipedia that is:

I guess it just depends what music you are playing. But do you agree that the terms can, in essence, describe the same thing?

of course they can - they're all the same thing.

i would still be more inclined to use vamp for an accompaniment rather than a figure (though a figure can be an accompaniment). but i see no reason why it would be "wrong".
A vamp is a type of Ostinato, But it isn't limited to that, you could have an 8 chord ostinato.
Virtual Amp = Vamp

Not everyone is going to agree on when a vamp becomes a riff. For mine, its a 1 or 2 chord groove that goes on for a long time
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
yea, dude, just like a backing track or harmony that's just like chilling there, relaxing and stuff.
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine