Okay so I already own a Marshall Mg50dfx and I like the look of the EVJ's,

Here's the plan:

I want to disconnect the speaker from the MG, take the line out from the MG, go into the EVJ's input and then connect the EVJ's speaker output to the MG's speaker.

I know it can be done, the only question is;

Will the sound quality be better or worse than the Marshall alone?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, it can be done. But I have a better idea. Take the MG into the backyard, load your 12 gauge, and use it as target pratice. Go back inside, plug in the Epi Valve, and start playing.

Problem solved.

Hahaha I was literally just about to ask for nobody to make jokes about the fact I don't actually own an amp!

Why buy one awful amp to put through a half decent little amp?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ma-hog!
Hahaha I was literally just about to ask for nobody to make jokes about the fact I don't actually own an amp!

Yeah. Anyways, yes you can do that, you can take the preamp send of the MG and have it going into the input of the Epi Valve and then plug the Epi Valve into the MG cab, but the Epi Valve and MG cab have to have matching impendence, otherwise you'll burn up the Epi Valve.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Why buy one awful amp to put through a half decent little amp?

I already own the (awful) Marshall, not the (little) Valve Junior and I'm interested in the modification potential of the VJ..
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 17, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus

Yeah. Anyways, yes you can do that, you can take the preamp send of the MG and have it going into the input of the Epi Valve and then plug the Epi Valve into the MG cab, but the Epi Valve and MG cab have to have matching impendence, otherwise you'll burn up the Epi Valve.

Oh I'm aware of that but will it sound better than just the Mg on it's own??
Quote by Ma-hog!
Oh I'm aware of that but will it sound better than just the Mg on it's own??

Better than the MG, yeah, but not much better. It's the equivalent of running a Boss Metal Zone with everything maxed out through the Epi Valve, then trying to play Metallica through it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Better than the MG, yeah, but not much better. It's the equivalent of running a Boss Metal Zone with everything maxed out through the Epi Valve, then trying to play Metallica through it.

Dear god....I own a tolex joke.....

Well it's either a nice Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio pickup or an EVJ, they'll both end up around the same price anyway
Quote by Ma-hog!
Dear god....I own a tolex joke.....

Well it's either a nice Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio pickup or an EVJ, they'll both end up around the same price anyway

Get the Epi Valve, you'll be surprised at how much better you'll sound.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Get the Epi Valve, you'll be surprised at how much better you'll sound.

Thanks Ethan!

i love the epi jrs.

and the mod potential is not what you are thinking of doing.

that's like the buttsex potential.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
i love the epi jrs.

and the mod potential is not what you are thinking of doing.

that's like the buttsex potential.

What are you talking about? I never said that using the marshall as a preamp was modding it.

I mean putting in a master volume, a variable resistor instead of fixed ones, bypass switch for the tone knob (GA5H only) and replacing the transformers.....
Quote by Ma-hog!
What are you talking about? I never said that using the marshall as a preamp was modding it.

I mean putting in a master volume, a variable resistor instead of fixed ones, bypass switch for the tone knob (GA5H only) and replacing the transformers.....

variable resistors everywhere? that'd be pretty cool. do it.

Quote by AcousticMirror
variable resistors everywhere? that'd be pretty cool. do it.

Come on, don't be a troll.
Furthermore, I doubt you'll have any cleans, since it'll be at line level going into the epi, and noise problems will arise from the impedance mismatch.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Furthermore, I doubt you'll have any cleans, since it'll be at line level going into the epi, and noise problems will arise from the impedance mismatch.

Clean as opposed to distorted? I'm not too worried about that because if I want cleans I can just take the Marshall out of the signal path, or better still I think* I could use an A/B switching box to switch between the two amps or just the epi

I have used the mg going into a stereo and a smaller amp and the noise isn't unbearable, but I wasn't using a speaker cable, would that make a difference??

And hey it's a cheap valve amp, if worst comes to worst it can be used to keep coffee warm
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Ma-hog!
Okay so I already own a Marshall Mg50dfx and I like the look of the EVJ's,

Here's the plan:

I want to disconnect the speaker from the MG, take the line out from the MG, go into the EVJ's input and then connect the EVJ's speaker output to the MG's speaker.

I know it can be done, the only question is;

Will the sound quality be better or worse than the Marshall alone?
A better idea would be to replace the MG with a $25 TS7 overdrive pedal.
Quote by gregs1020
so selling the MG to add to your amp budget is completely out of the question?

Oh thanks for the idea! What would you suggest buying if I could sell it?
why do you have two identical topics made within hours of each other?
Quote by fly135
A better idea would be to replace the MG with a $25 TS7 overdrive pedal.

I already own a clean boost pedal and that will push the amp into a natural overdrive,

but as far as I know a TS7 won't give me a great amount of distortion just more of a bluesy overdrive, is that right?
Quote by al112987
why do you have two identical topics made within hours of each other?

eh...I don't?? One whether or not a SS amp into a tube amp will fry something.

This one is whether or not a Marshall MG going into an Epi Valve Junior head will sound any better than the Marshall on it's own
You're right, there is zero overlap whatsoever.
Last edited by al112987 at May 18, 2011,
Quote by al112987
You're right, there is zero overlap whatsoever.

I created the first with that agenda on my mind,
Once I found out that it is possible I wondered will the sound quality be worth putting the idea into practice.

I'm just here to learn, not to cause any offence
There are quite a few simple mods you can do to a VJ. Just changing the values of the input resistors makes a hug difference. Bigger filter caps, DC heater supply. All pretty simple stuff, and then there are the tone mods. There's quite a little sub-cult of VJ modders out there. A few minutes on google and you'l find heaps of mods.
Get the VJ head and plug it into something good like a 2x12 loaded with greenbacks. You could use the cruddy seventy 80's in the MG in the meantime if you're short of cash. Good little starter amp for the would be modder. THere's even enough headroom in the power tranny to run an extra 12AX7 if you want to go crazy. Some even go to the extent of throwing the whole PCB away and fitting a turret/eyelet board inside.
Bottom line - a VJ has a better sounding preamp than an MG and with a bit of soldering can be made a LOT better than an MG. So much more so it's laughable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ma-hog!
I already own a clean boost pedal and that will push the amp into a natural overdrive,

but as far as I know a TS7 won't give me a great amount of distortion just more of a bluesy overdrive, is that right?
IMO the Vjr isn't going to deliver a great bluesy tone just with a clean boost. The TS7 would be a great affordable OD that will give you much more than your clean boost. It will deliver quite a bit of dirt especially with the hot switch. And there are many distortion boxes that will take it further. The Jekyll & Hyde is a good one that gets pretty heavy on the Hyde side. Another cheap dirt box that would cover the heavy side with the TS7 handling the rest would be the Danelectro Fab Tone. You could get a Fab Tone and a TS7 for about $50 total on eBay.
Quote by Cathbard
There are quite a few simple mods you can do to a VJ. Just changing the values of the input resistors makes a hug difference. Bigger filter caps, DC heater supply. All pretty simple stuff, and then there are the tone mods. There's quite a little sub-cult of VJ modders out there. A few minutes on google and you'l find heaps of mods.
Get the VJ head and plug it into something good like a 2x12 loaded with greenbacks. You could use the cruddy seventy 80's in the MG in the meantime if you're short of cash. Good little starter amp for the would be modder. THere's even enough headroom in the power tranny to run an extra 12AX7 if you want to go crazy. Some even go to the extent of throwing the whole PCB away and fitting a turret/eyelet board inside.
Bottom line - a VJ has a better sounding preamp than an MG and with a bit of soldering can be made a LOT better than an MG. So much more so it's laughable.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Now that you've got me drooling over this amp even more
I assume the extra 12AX7 would be wired in parallel right?

And the MG has an Eminence speaker....even worse than the Celestion seventy 80's

Oh and don't the V3 VJ's already have DC heater supply???
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 18, 2011,
No, you'd add it as another stage for more gain. Brootz in a VJ. That's not a common mod. It was discussed at length in here when Kanthras was doing it to his. He has the circuit in his profile
That's a pretty radical mod, the simple things I mentioned earlier are where you start. You can turn them into a great little blues amp and you don't need that extra gain for that, you just have to crank them up. Like I said, spend some time on google, there are VJ mods all over the shop.

Edit: Actually, I think you're right, they do have a DC heater now. One less thing to do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 18, 2011,
^ yeah the newest v3 model (i *think*) has the dc heaters (in fact the v2 had those too iirc), plus a bunch of the other problems fixed too (the incorrect impedance OT etc.)

I bought mine when only the v2 was available but if i were buying today i'd be sure to get a v3... a lot of the more basic mods are already done, it might not even need too many mods to start sounding pretty good.

heck the stock v2 sounds pretty awesome as a pedal platform (though not so good on its own).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
heck the stock v2 sounds pretty awesome as a pedal platform (though not so good on its own).
Definitely +1.

I have the V2 head and the V3 combo. Both sound pretty good, but I noticed that the V3 combo sounds much better than the V1 combo I used to have. I haven't plugged it into a cab yet but I'm guessing it will be a bit better than the V2 head. I got the V3 combo when GC was blowing them out for $80. Didn't need it but figured it was too good a buy to pass up.
haha yeah for $80 that'd be hard to pass up. heck that's probably cheaper than buying the mods for the v2 (if you're doing the full-shebang mods, the correct OT etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
No, you'd add it as another stage for more gain. Brootz in a VJ. That's not a common mod. It was discussed at length in here when Kanthras was doing it to his. He has the circuit in his profile
That's a pretty radical mod, the simple things I mentioned earlier are where you start. You can turn them into a great little blues amp and you don't need that extra gain for that, you just have to crank them up. Like I said, spend some time on google, there are VJ mods all over the shop.

Edit: Actually, I think you're right, they do have a DC heater now. One less thing to do.

psh sidekick kanthras is a dabbler.

the vj power transformer can support something like 3 more preamp tubes.

Oh you're just mad because he's your archenemy and he's not around anymore. You know what they say about a hero with no villain.

TS - I've had two VJ heads, both V2... They were pretty decent, but really only excelled when cranked. The second one I had modded by a guy here and had some great results. Good little amps, but they need to be cranked. As for an MG through them...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Maybe I should try running my Gorrilla GC-25 into mine.

I drug my GC-25 out just the other day after not having played through it for years. I was actually getting some pretty cool tones out of it. I'm not sure if it was the crappy old 8" speaker that gave it the mojo or my awesome licks