So I'm looking at getting a decent large diaphragm condenser mic for vocals, both group and individual. If it was decent as a kick drum mic too, well, that'd be perfect.

My budget is relatively flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $150, ideally. I don't mind buying used. So here's what I've looked at so far:

AT3035
-I've heard only good things about this, many people claiming it's as good as/better than the AT4040 for half the price. I can get one for about $80, so this is looking like a strong contender at this point.

MXL990
-I know this is a cheapy, and it seems like people either love it or hate it, so it makes me nervous. But if anyone has any great experiences with it, let's hear it.

Samson C01
-This is also a cheapy, and a lot of what I find on it says it's rather noisy.

Out of these, I'm definitely leaning towards the AT3035, but I'd like other suggestions too. Any help is appreciated.
Can't speak for the AT never used it...I do like most Marshall mics if that helps. My only solid piece of advice is to AVOID the Samson C01, it sounds like butt.

If I were you I'd save up a little more than your current budget and go with a Shure large diaphragm or a CAD medium diaphram.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Any specific Shure? I was looking at the SM27, but it's pretty well out of how much I want to spend.

And in my experience, Marshall mics are some of the shittiest things I've ever heard, but that might just be me.
Quote by CrossBack7
Any specific Shure? I was looking at the SM27, but it's pretty well out of how much I want to spend.

And in my experience, Marshall mics are some of the shittiest things I've ever heard, but that might just be me.

Yea the KSM series is good too.

IDK about the MXL's I love my 603's.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Hm, I really expected more replies than this, but oh well. I think I'm just going to buy two Audix F15's for $100, since they can double as drum overheads. But they should be suitable for the upcoming job that I need condenser mics for, so hopefully it all works out. I'll probably look to buy the At3035 when I find it at a good price again.

Thanks for the help.
Buy the AT. Never heard of the CAD, think they're more of a hit in the US than over here. As for MXL - they suck balls. I'm sorry to the guy in the thread who said he likes them, but I'm yet to hear one that even comes close to good. I'd sooner take a Behringer over an MXL, and that says a lot because my trust in Behringer is at an all time low after having to use one of their Eurodesks at a gig a few weeks back... someone should ban small venues from buying them.

Anyway, back on topic - the Audio Technica is actually pretty good, although personally I'd go for the AT4040 if you can.

Edit: Also, since when have Shure been good at anything but live mics? I haven't used any shure mics in the studio except for the SM57, and don't plan on doing so any time soon. I think that Shure have a reputation for rugged build quality, and reliability, rather than for studio-quality gear.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at May 18, 2011,