Page 1 of 2
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4321/first-habitable-exoplanet-confirmed

Thoughts? Do you think the human race will EVER discover if we are truly the only intelligent life out there? If we'll ever be able to send colonies of people to other planets like this one? I doubt I'll ever see that day, but I hope that someday it will be possible.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Absolutely amazing. And it's ridiculously close by (on a cosmic scale).
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Modelling of planet Gliese 581d shows it has the potential to be warm and wet enough

Eff yeahhhh
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Gravity about twice the size of Earth's... Gliese Olympics 3068? That'd be interesting.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

What if it's already inhabited.

D:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
That's intense. If it didn't take 300,000 years to get there, I'd say it's pretty perfect. Also with regard to it might have sunlight on one side and none on the other.

Pretty cool in my opinion.
The fact that they are still sending "goodwill messages" to other planets cracks me up. It's quite possible that it is able to support life, but it is nearly impossible that it would be home to life that could accept and transform radio signals into sound, let alone a language that can be understood.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, whoever lived there will be really friken strong when they come back to Earth.

Oh shit. If there's life on that planet already then we've got no chance. It's like a planet of Supermans/Supermen.

I looked at the link, and for a second there I thought you were referencing Cosmo.

Anyway, that's pretty sweet.
Quote by metallica #1
That's intense. If it didn't take 300,000 years to get there, I'd say it's pretty perfect. Also with regard to it might have sunlight on one side and none on the other.

Pretty cool in my opinion.

Gliese 581g is tidally locked, not d. That's why g was discounted as a candidate for habitability; a planet needs to rotate to regulate temperature.
Quote by MAC2322
Gliese 581g is tidally locked, not d. That's why g was discounted as a candidate for habitability; a planet needs to rotate to regulate temperature.

Quote by Article
The planet, spotted in 2007, had initially been dismissed as a candidate in the hunt for life. It receives less than a third of the solar radiation Earth gets, and may be "tidally locked", meaning that one side of it always faces the Sun, which would give it permanent dayside and nightside.

300,000 years to get there

But the new model, devised by CNRS climate scientists Robin Wordsworth, Francois Forget and colleagues, showed surprising potential. Its atmosphere would store heat well, thanks to its dense CO2, a greenhouse gas. And the red light from the star would also penetrate the atmosphere and warm the surface.

I thought that bit was referring to 581d, mainly the first paragraph saying that they originally thought it couldn't sustain life but now they think it could.

Our only hope of even having a remote chance of getting there is if we find a way to travel (at least close to) the speed of light. Actually living there is waaaay out of the question.
Couldn't we just put a guy and a girl in there and they could reproduce and keep a generation going until they get there?
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma.

Quote by one vision
Why not chromatics? Chromatic harmony was the "new thing" in the romantic era.
Quote by BassFishin
Problem:
Fish isn't meat.
Quote by CodeMonk
Pics or its a DS-1
Quote by BlackNapkin
Couldn't we just put a guy and a girl in there and they could reproduce and keep a generation going until they get there?

inbreeding?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by BlackNapkin

Great. First contact and our representatives look like frog people.
What if we stored like 30,000 frozen eggs and sperm?
Music stores give all gear a +50 to Charisma.

Quote by one vision
Why not chromatics? Chromatic harmony was the "new thing" in the romantic era.
Quote by BassFishin
Problem:
Fish isn't meat.
Quote by CodeMonk
Pics or its a DS-1
Quote by BlackNapkin
What if we stored like 30,000 frozen eggs and sperm?

After 300, 000 years the people wouldn't know what they were representing
THATS SO ****ING COOL!

gfsfGADHSFfv
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Thats pretty cool. I think one day well discover some form of intelligent life
Quote by Trowzaa
I thought that bit was referring to 581d, mainly the first paragraph saying that they originally thought it couldn't sustain life but now they think it could.

I thought that at first, but 'the planet' is actually referring to Gliese 581g, which was discovered in 2007. d is a newer discovery.
Quote by Twist of fate
We should avoid ANY contact with aliens. If they're more advanced than us, it'll be like War of the Worlds. If they're less advanced than us, it'll be like Avatar.
I've always thought that it'll depend on who visits who. I mean either way, whenever we make contact with other life humanity will be changed forever (notably is the predicted change from BC and AD to Before and After Contact), but I'm sure that whoever the domestic species during contact is will be dominated by the visitors.
I thought that that link said cosmo magazine instead of cosmos magazine.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Quote by Pat_s1t
I've always thought that it'll depend on who visits who. I mean either way, whenever we make contact with other life humanity will be changed forever (notably is the predicted change from BC and AD to Before and After Contact), but I'm sure that whoever the domestic species during contact is will be dominated by the visitors.

That's just it, though. Whoever visits the other first will almost certainly be more advanced simply because they can do so.
Wooohooo...

I really hope this doesn't turn out like Pandorum...
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Quote by benn913
Thats pretty cool. I think one day well discover some form of intelligent life

For now, though, we're stuck with republicans
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by GibsonMan321
Thoughts? Do you think the human species will EVER discover if we are truly the only intelligent life out there? If we'll ever be able to send colonies of people to other planets like this one? I doubt I'll ever see that day, but I hope that someday it will be possible.

It's completely conceivable, just not in our lifetimes. A human could theoretically survive a round trip to the Vega star system (for example). It would simply take them 80 or so years, during which a few million years would pass by on Earth. Relativity, time dilation, an' 'at.
I think that contact will eventually happen, but not in my lifetime.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by fearofthemark
For now, though, we're stuck with republicans

Ziiiiiing.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
awesome i hope they find life
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by MAC2322
I thought that at first, but 'the planet' is actually referring to Gliese 581g, which was discovered in 2007. d is a newer discovery.

Quote by Article
Exoplanets are named after their star and listed alphabetically, in order of discovery.

Are you absolutely sure?

Quote by Trowzaa
Are you absolutely sure?

Not anymore

What I DO know is that Gliese 581g is tidally locked with Gliese 581.
Quote by MAC2322
Not anymore

What I DO know is that Gliese 581g is tidally locked with Gliese 581.

On further research, 581d was discovered in 2007, 581g in 2010.

If we find life, it's only a matter of time before we infect them with smallpox and take all of their land and resources.
Quote by Trowzaa

On further research, 581d was discovered in 2007, 581g in 2010.

I think I was confusing 581d with 581c. (In the sense that I remember 581c being discovered in 2007 but don't remember hearing about 581d.)
I love when they find things like this. Whats the probability that just because a planet looks like Earth and has the same properties of Earth (they can only guess by the way.) means it is a habitable planet. Unless something like Mass Effect happens right now and Aliens happily give us the technology to go to other planets then what the scientists are guessing is another Earth could just as well be a blue planet made of glass with green colored lava.
Page 1 of 2