Caution: Rambling below; kinda long read.

Looking for my first 7 string, but I don't play too much 7 string music, if at all. I'd be doing more original pieces with the 7 I get...

Anyways, is the RG7321 a good place to start? Right now getting a 7 is more of an experiment than anything else, so I don't want to spend too much on it, but still want a fairly high quality instrument for like $500 or so.

I've seen much love (and some hate) for the RG7321 and it seems like a lot people's starting block for 7's, so it cant be that bad, right? Right now they're like $450 new, which is do-able.

So besides the pickups, and the neck (for the small amount of time I played it the neck was nice), are there any other faults to the guitar? Is there a "good year" for the RG7321? Is there something else I should be looking at?

ALSO: There is an RG7421 (MIJ) and RGD7321 on CL for $400, but I'm in Canada and they're in the US, and going by Rondo's rates, US to Canada is like $200, which is harsh, which makes me hesitant.

tl;dr:
Is an RG7321 good for a first time 7 player?
What would a good pickup set be if I wanted to play medium-high gain hard rock/metal?
Is there a "good" year I should be looking for?
Is there another guitar I should be looking for?
Does anyone have a 7 that they are losing interest for and would want to sell for ~$500?

Thanks guys.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I don't think it would cost $200 to ship a guitar to Canada from the US, but it would probably cost a fair amount. If you can get your hands on an RG7421/7621, definitely do it. Although I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one.

That being said, yes, the RG7321 would be a good 7 string for a beginner. I just feel that the MIJ Ibanezes are a lot better and feel a lot nicer. I'm not a huge fan of the 7321, but I fell in love with my friend's 7620 when I played it.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at May 17, 2011,
Its just that all of the ones I've found for sale (RG762x and RG742x are all in the US. I have now idea how much shipping and duties etc., would be, and would most likely run me over my hoped budget.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Hi, sorry I don't have any experience with the RG7321. Just noticed you said you don't play much 7-string music. Are you set on the 7 string?

Have you looked into any 6-string baritone guitars?

I tried a few 7 string guitars but prefer the 6 string baritones much more. You can get the same tunings.

Check out Axe Music (free shipping in Canada), or if you are near Winnipeg pop into Long & McQuade.

RG7321 @ Axe is $439.99 + $22 tax, should be free shipping as order over $199.
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=10923&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=RG7321&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all
Last edited by yarzo at May 17, 2011,
I've been down the GAS road for a Bari, and theres just not enough options, and I like the chord possibilities of a 7.

So, yes, I'm set on 7's. Thanks though.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by Pac_man0123
I don't think it would cost $200 to ship a guitar to Canada from the US, but it would probably cost a fair amount. If you can get your hands on an RG7421/7621, definitely do it. Although I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one.

That being said, yes, the RG7321 would be a good 7 string for a beginner. I just feel that the MIJ Ibanezes are a lot better and feel a lot nicer. I'm not a huge fan of the 7321, but I fell in love with my friend's 7620 when I played it.

Yeah, but they don't make the 7620's or 7621's anymore, and they rarely pop up on the web for sale.

I'd go for the RG7321FM with the flame maple top and hard tail.
Quote by AWACS
I've been down the GAS road for a Bari, and theres just not enough options, and I like the chord possibilities of a 7.

So, yes, I'm set on 7's. Thanks though.

That's cool...check out the link to the RG7321 at Axe Music in my previous post: $439 + tax.
But for that price yarzo I could pretty much get a used 7421.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
used 1527 pretige
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
RG7321's are nice 7 strings for people who want to see if it's their cup of tea.
However, there are better options out there, especially in the used market if you keep your eyes peeled.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I do want a 7. I'm not just trying it.

And shipping from Agile to where I live (in Canada) is $150-$200. A decent mid range $500 guitar, is now $800. I have to buy a case as well.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but they don't make the 7620's or 7621's anymore, and they rarely pop up on the web for sale.

If by rarely you mean all the time then you'd be correct
actually there aren't that many for sale compared to other used stuff.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
actually there aren't that many for sale compared to other used stuff.

Well yeah but I see them all the time on eBay and Guitar Center's used website, as well as now and then on Craigslist.

Compared to stuff like crappy Squier Affinity series guitars they don't pop up very often, but they're not impossible to find.