I was checking the FAQs and was surprised this wasn't there.

Basically, I have a Head with a 8 Ohm output impedance and a 16 Ohm Cabinet. Can I connect them safely?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
what head?

if it is a solid state head then you will be fine, just a little less power output but no adverse effects.

if it's a tube head, then you'll be stressing the output transformer or power tubes. you may be able to 'mismatch' with little consequence but that is dependent upon the designer's consideration for mismatching heads to cabs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Ya I've also heard that if it's solid state it'll be fine and if you go small into big it's alright as well. But only for solid states!
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
-------------------------------------------------
It's not my set-up, so I'd have to ask my friend. I'm pretty sure it was a tube head though, if that helps.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Pretty much what gumby said.

Running 8 ohms to 8 ohms is perfect
Running 8 ohms to 16 ohms is still acceptable but there is a loss in wattage Im not sure on what ratio this rule works on. But if the head is 8 and the cab is 16 thats fine, if the CAB is 8 and the head is 16 than welcome to blown up gear population you.

For example, the number of people with 8 ohm heads that are looking for a 8 ohm 1x12" cabinet.... I only really know mesa and ibanez tubescreamer cabs that run it.. alot of the people end up getting 16 ohm cabs anyway