hey guys, i live in apartment and and upgrading away from my peavey vypyr amp. I was hoping to find something all tube thats got that nice crunchy marshally tone. I prefer a head as I wanna get a 2x12 and 4x12 for a fuller sound.

I was thinking the Blackstar HT-5 after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UGyfsvQKCA&feature=related

But in most other videos it sounds very compressed and "modern" like which I dont want. I want more of a vintage 80s metal tone in the style of like GNR or Ozzy. Also something capable of being pushed into early Metallica.

My budget is 600ish give or a take a hundred or so.
the ht5 is modern voiced.

are used amps in play or are you only looking for new amps?

and 600 what exactly?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The HT-5 is a crap apartment amp unless you have an apartment with brick walls. If the volume is low enough to not annoy neighbors the speaker doesn't move enough, you lose the treble, and your crunch sounds dull and lifeless.
The HT-1RH is the way to go. I to live in an apartment very thin walls.

But the HT-1RH can be run at max vol. and not bug anybody and sounds great.

This little amp has some power for only 1 watt runs my Laney 4x12 280watt cab.

I was going to get the HT-5 but it was too loud for this apartment like I said very thin walls here.
Quote by leesops
The HT-1RH is the way to go. I to live in an apartment very thin walls.

But the HT-1RH can be run at max vol. and not bug anybody and sounds great.

This little amp has some power for only 1 watt runs my Laney 4x12 280watt cab.

I was going to get the HT-5 but it was too loud for this apartment like I said very thin walls here.

This post is one giant contradiction... If you can max the volume in an appartment with very thin walls then it does not have some 'power.'

TS - I wouldn't recommend a 5 watt tube amp if you're really concerned about volume... I've had two Valve Juniors and they're not quiet, and worse yet sound pretty bad when turned way down. Surprisingly, in my experience a larger wattage tube amp is still capable of the same low volumes, but sounds better doing it. That could just be the handful I've tried though.

For reference, I have a 15 watt Blues Junior and I was playing last night basically as low as I could get it while audible and decent sounding (I think I was at 3 on pre, 3 on post and maybe 5 on guitar volume) and I was told it could still be heard downstairs.

Either just get the amp you want, and accept that you may not be able to play late at night, or go another route such as a modeler or headphone amp. That's my take anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 18, 2011,
Quote by jpnyc
The HT-5 is a crap apartment amp unless you have an apartment with brick walls. If the volume is low enough to not annoy neighbors the speaker doesn't move enough, you lose the treble, and your crunch sounds dull and lifeless.

What speakers are u using?? Sounds like it needs to break in.
They get a bad rap on here because theres a lot of cheap/crappy ones on the market but a quality attenuator like a weber can help a lot. I have a weber 100w and it can turn 120w monsters down to bedroom levels.
Guitars
Amps
600 what again? euros? pesos? chocolate chips?
lolololol
the guitar is plugged in the marshall not in the hr5 use your eyes
ht-5 is there just for lul
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
lolololol
the guitar is plugged in the marshall not in the hr5 use your eyes
ht-5 is there just for lul

are you on dope? Neither of the marshalls is even on...You can clearly see the cord plugged into the HT-5 is swaying as hes playing and the power LED is on. Also, hes got other videos of the Marshalls and they sound nothing like this... Arent you smart.

Anyway...its 600 USD

If there is no such thing as good amp tone at apartment levels, is something like Eleven Rack any better than a POD? I've tried the POD X3 and didn't care for it too much, just cant stand wearing headphones.
Last edited by nonamesleftWTF at May 18, 2011,
Quote by nonamesleftWTF
are you on dope? Neither of the marshalls is even on...You can clearly see the cord plugged into the HT-5 is swaying as hes playing and the power LED is on. Also, hes got other videos of the Marshalls and they sound nothing like this... Arent you smart.

Anyway...its 600 USD

If there is no such thing as good amp tone at apartment levels, is something like Eleven Rack any better than a POD? I've tried the POD X3 and didn't care for it too much, just cant stand wearing headphones.

Honestly, people talk about "bedroom amps" all day long but I have a 100 watt Mesa stack in my bedroom (my band's about to start playing decent sized shows so it'll finally get stage time), and I get great tone at reasonably low volume. You just need to know how to tweak the amp. You can get a nice Mesa head for $700-ish easily and be very satisfied.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
The HT-5 is fine for bedroom but you will not be able to play it at full volume without disturbing a roomate, family member or neighbour.

The HT-1 can be cranked full, but I personally think investing in a top of the range solid state amp would be better by then, like a Line6 Vetta II, Axe-Fx, or even a Line6 Flextone III.

You may also be interested in trying a small clean amp like a Fender DRRI and using pedals to derive your dirt. It works fantastically for me. Although I live in the countryside and can play as loud as I want, I have a family, and they don't want to hear me play Doom Metal at 2 o'clock in the morning, so I turn my Fryette Memphis 30 down and use high quality pedals.

Again, like the Vetta II option, it will be more expensive, but you'll have far better tone and far more versatility and options for the future.
tubetime86
Have you tested the HT-1 and the HT-5 and also do you live in the same appartment as me ?

No okay then.
Well I have and the the HT-5 sounds like crap at low vol. and the fact when I had the vol. up to around 6-7 it wasnt 5 mins later I had a knock on my door.

So Take the HT-5 back and try the HT-1 same setting vol.6-7 guess what no one came knocking so I max vol. same no one came to the door asking me to turn it down.

So your remark (This post is one giant contradiction) was a waste of time.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The HT-5 is fine for bedroom but you will not be able to play it at full volume without disturbing a roomate, family member or neighbour.

The HT-1 can be cranked full, but I personally think investing in a top of the range solid state amp would be better by then, like a Line6 Vetta II, Axe-Fx, or even a Line6 Flextone III.

You may also be interested in trying a small clean amp like a Fender DRRI and using pedals to derive your dirt. It works fantastically for me. Although I live in the countryside and can play as loud as I want, I have a family, and they don't want to hear me play Doom Metal at 2 o'clock in the morning, so I turn my Fryette Memphis 30 down and use high quality pedals.

Again, like the Vetta II option, it will be more expensive, but you'll have far better tone and far more versatility and options for the future.

Pretty much what I came to post. If I needed to gig I'd get a Vetta, otherwise I'd probably look at something small (in power terms) and clean.
Here's something to think about:
Frequencies which are going to go through the walls more easily are going to annoy other people more. Bass frequencies firing out of a cab with a resonating structure, sat on the floor of your room will then resonate the floor a little, and the sound will spread easily.

I used to put my amp on a piece of "celatex", which is like a compacted insulation block, it was an offcut from the building going on in my house. It did help quiet a lot to stop annoying my family. Maybe you can find a similar material to sit the amp on. It just needs to reasonably spongy to absorb sound, but hard enough to stop the amp from just compacting the material and sitting closer to the ground than you want.

I'm not going to say it'll make a cranked 100w 4x12" quiet enough to play in your apartment, but it could help.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
If you are after an amp with a modern voice the HT5 is good. If you want a vintage voice I'd go with an epi vj or champ 600. If you need something that is vintage(ish) but with more versatile than the Epi and champ then I'd look at the marshall class 5 or laney ac15.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by leesops
tubetime86
Have you tested the HT-1 and the HT-5 and also do you live in the same appartment as me ?

No okay then.
Well I have and the the HT-5 sounds like crap at low vol. and the fact when I had the vol. up to around 6-7 it wasnt 5 mins later I had a knock on my door.

So Take the HT-5 back and try the HT-1 same setting vol.6-7 guess what no one came knocking so I max vol. same no one came to the door asking me to turn it down.

So your remark (This post is one giant contradiction) was a waste of time.

All I was saying is that saying an amp is powerful and quiet in the same breath is contradictory. I'm glad it works well for you, and it may be a good option for the TS... But the 5 watters I've had were pretty damn loud, so if you can crank your 1 watter to max without disturbing anyone than I think its amazingly lacking in power. That's not a bad thing, in fact its a good thing in this case.

We're now competing for biggest waste of time posts with these last two. At least my original post included information pertinent to the TS, unlike yours and unfortunately this one... Sorry TS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 19, 2011,
lol all good....should i just keep this crap amp and then go all bat shit crazy and get a jubilee head like ive always wanted for the rare occasions i jam with someone? i mean i guess realistically like you guys said if i cant even move the air from the speaker it really aint gonna sound good no matter what i got.
i personbally would say that a 4x12 and even a 2x12 is too large spacewise, overkill, and too big to pus hthe speakers for appartment volumes.

i recently tried a vox lil nighttrain and a vox ac4. train beat it HANDS DOWN. but that thin is great. i think its 2 and 1/2 watt and talk crunch. pure tube tone at super low volumes. of course if you crank the full 2 watts you will get the cops called...or atleast piss off everyone to the left, right, top, and bottom of you.

i would recommend a solid 1x12 cab with a low wattage speaker with great crunch to get all you can out of low volumes but still good breakup.
well space wise, i have a "dining room" in my apartment as my dedicated music area. so space would be ok for any size cab. volume wize, I can go about 2 on my peavey vypyr 15 before my neighbors start freakin the f**K out and star smacking my floor or ceiling telling me to stfu lol. its so annoying, argh. I swear to god before i leave this place I will half a half stack marshall and max it out on my balcony
Quote by nonamesleftWTF
lol all good....should i just keep this crap amp and then go all bat shit crazy and get a jubilee head like ive always wanted for the rare occasions i jam with someone? i mean i guess realistically like you guys said if i cant even move the air from the speaker it really aint gonna sound good no matter what i got.

I would say get whatever it is you want and don't worry about volume. That way on the rare occasions you can blast it you'll love it, and it'll still sound better than a shitty practice amp when you have to keep the volume low.

Its kind of the 'better to have it and not need it...' thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
For apartment use, I like the Tiny Terror if you're not deadset on needing a head/cab instead of a simple combo. Great little combo amp, in my opinion. I just demoed one of 'em at Guitar Center yesterday in their little sound-proof room. In terms of gain, it's just shy of br00tz.. great rock sound though. The lack of EQ and an effects loop may be a downer for you, however. There's also the Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 (used) in your price range.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Egnater tweaker head and a decent 212 cab so when you play with friends....

It works great at low volumes.