ok so the other day the power section of my 6534+ went out. on the distortion channel at high volume there was only hum and a very quiet clean sound while the clean channel was completly dead. its currently in at the local tech, and theyre looking at it now and im gonna hear back in a couple days but i have a show coming up next tuesday and thursday and was wondering if its likely that my amp will be back up and running by then?

worst case though, the store is gonna lend me either a peavey butcher, 3120, or JSX untill my own amp is fixed. btw which of the 3 should i take if it comes down to that?

so what do you guys think is wrong with it? the store said the power tubes or chassis could be loose but it could be alot more serious. also there was feed back if you ut your hands near the power tubes
Take the 3120. Would be the closest to your amp. Although I'm pretty sure the 3120 is a JSX with a fancier name.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
sounds like a preamp section problem tubes probly died and became super microphonic which they do when they die hence the feedback when you put ur hands near them
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by Mopy
Take the 3120. Would be the closest to your amp. Although I'm pretty sure the 3120 is a JSX with a fancier name.

No, the 3120 is the newer version of the XXX.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
3120/JSX.
Sould sound more or less similar to the 6534.
Isnt the Butcher hybrid?

Sounds like your pre amp tubes rather than poweramp- had poweramp went conk logically you wont get any sound at all right?

No. The 3120 and 6534+ have rather different tonalities, one has an active equalizer, different power sections/preamp sections, etc. They're very different beasts.

You could still get sound in the event of power tube failure, actually, depending on what it is. At this point it could be either, or some combination of both.

The Butcher is not a hybrid either.

OP, I'd go in and give all the amps a try and pick the one you like the best, I guess. None of them really sound particularly similar to the 6534+, IMO. I'll admit I'm not really familiar with what the Butcher sounds like, but it is one of Peavey's older amp designs from the '80s. Not sure if they changed anything in the new Butcher, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
just to clear up something, it wasnt microphonic feedback, it was more like grounding static, if that makes sense. another thing that is annoying is that i havent een had the amp 90 days, atleast the tubes are still under warranty but it sucks that somethings wrong already with it.

oh btw i heard the 3120 has an active eq on the distortion channels and pssive on clean. what kind of eq does the 6534+ have and whats the difference between the 2?
The 6534 is a 6505+ with a few component changes. It has EL34s. It is designed to have a more of a British tone. I've never played one unfortunately. I'm actually thinking the Butcher may closer but not as heavy and possibly more geared for 70s/80s rock. They both have passive EQ'ing I believe so like most amps....you set the B/M/T to taste and they operate independently.

The 3120 and JSX will be brighter amps as they are more geared toward lead playing and modern tones. They will be heavy though too - lots of gain like the 6505. Dedicated clean channels. They both have active EQ'ing I believe so in that case, when you turn one parameter up it also increases the frequencies (B/M/T) of the other two parameters. Therefore, you may have to go back and change the other 2 parameters each time you adjust one or the other. Just takes getting used to.

While your amp is down I'd play all 3.

Hopefully it is just a simple grounding issue and takes 30 minutes to fix. If they have to send it out or get another one it could take days/weeks.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

v....Agreed Greg.

Personally, myself, I like the JSX the most of the bunch. And yes, the 3120 is just the updated name of the XXX but with EL34s out of the factory. Unfortunately, this naming structure is changing again and will just add more confusion.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 18, 2011,
what the hell did peavey do with these 6534s? i had high hopes for these things but all you seem to ever hear is issues.

i'd probably use the jsx during the repair, not a fan of the butcher myself and i haven't played the 3120.

i do quite like the jsx if eq'd semi-retardedly.

good luck, i hope your amp get's fixed soon. i'd love to hear clips of it when it's right.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I strongly suspect it's the preamp tubes. Are these the original tubes or did you already change them? I suspect the V1 and V2 tubes are dead and/or microphonic which will explain the lack of sound in your clean channel. Something similar happened to my MkV before.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by gregs1020
what the hell did peavey do with these 6534s? i had high hopes for these things but all you seem to ever hear is issues.

what do you mean? ive never heard of a 6534+ breaking or having issues
^i've heard of some issues but I've heard of issues with 3120s, JSXs, XXXs, 6505s, Vypyrs, and a whole shit load of other amps.

that being said, what I've read is that none of these issues have caused wide scale failures with the Peaveys
Quote by Seanthesheep
what do you mean? ive never heard of a 6534+ breaking or having issues

I dunno, most 6534 threads I see are issues? Maybe its just me or I'm perceiving it wrong. I've unfortunately not had the chance to play one. Honestly its an amp I can see myself liking on paper. Quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, its not like I see them everyday, just when there is one, its due to an issue.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.