What the crap is this supposed to do? they seem to only make it louder but ive noticed on the clean channel it makes it get a slight crunch to it when you start turning them up.
Pre adjusts the volume of the preamp, post adjusts the volume of the power amp. Turn either up a lot and that respective section starts to distort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that makes some sense. is there a certain way im supposed to have it set or what? ive never understood much when it comes to amps
It depends on what you are playing. With most metal the distortion is derived from the preamp, pre up until it sounds right then adjust the volume with post. For blues you want most of your distortion to come from the power amp so you leave the pre down and crank the post. Rock can be any mixture of the two, the older the music the more you want power amp distortion. Just mix and match to suit. Jazz, pre right down and post only as high as you can get it without distorting (or enough to keep up with the drummer without distortion).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks alot i am a metal player who dabbles in blues every once in awhile but now that i know that hopefully i can find some tones im happy with