I have a fender blues jr. When I go to college, I normally just have it sit at my house because when the pre amp volume is up, even at like 2 on the master volume, it's way too loud for dorms. Under 2, it gets way too quiet and there's too big of a jump to make sure I'm always quiet enough for dorms, but loud enough to be heard.

However, I'm kinda tired of it just sitting at home and not getting to play it year round, so my idea was to unplug the speaker and just plug it into some higher impedance speakers. Obviously, this is going to bring the power output down and make it quieter, but is this going to have any bad effects on the amp itself? I have some speakers to do it with already, so I just want to make sure I'm not gonna burn out a tube or something really fast.
just buy yourself a cheap practice amp for under $50 and a pair of headphones. Now you can play as loud as you want.
it can harm your output transformer the easiest thing to do safely would be a power attenuator like the thd hotplate
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by malmsteensolo
just buy yourself a cheap practice amp for under $50 and a pair of headphones. Now you can play as loud as you want.

Which I can already do with my computer or just running pedals through speakers or headphones... The point would be to use my amp.
whats the wattage of your amp if you can spend around 200$ i can tell you a kickass way to convert any tube amp into a headphone amp also tell me the ohmage of your amp
basically what you've got to do is a make a diy dummy load then get a cab sim pedal next powered headphones
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
you can't just plug in higher impedance speakers you'll ruin your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
ts here's what you gotta do suppose your amp is rated at 100 watts and 8 ohms get 7 20w 8ohms resistors, wire them in series and connect the wires to a input jack
next plug your speaker out into the jack switch it on
next start playing
you wont get any sound because there are no speakers attached
to get some sound connect a cab sim pedal to your effects out and connect powered headphones to your cab sim
rock and roll

notes

-if you follow my method you will only get yout tone only from preamp the power section will be rendered useless as long as you plug the resistance

-if your amp is a combo you gotta open it up and add a speaker out

-this method wont work with amps which do not have effects loop
edit: noticed cathboard's suggestion go with that its better it'l give you power tube saturation
and i was wrong about the powered headphones you can use any headphones
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at May 18, 2011,
Hey, I wasn't saying how I'd do it. I would use the 200W PA driver I have with a busted cone and clone a Weber Mass Driver or something similar - or even just a simple L-Pad. I would never buy something like I posted for myself but it would get the TS out of trouble without touching a soldering iron.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification