Poll: Which Amp Sim Do You Favor, and list why below?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Amp Sim Do You Favor, and list why below?
Amplitube
21 46%
Guitar Rig
8 17%
Pod Farm
17 37%
Voters: 46.
Title sums it up. I currently have been using amplitube 3 for awhile and wasn't completely satisfied with it so i purchased pod farm 2 (not platinum addition) and after a few hours of playing with both and comparing them, I ended up finding in my opinion a way better guitar tone for metal from amplitube 3. At the moment not very impressed with pod farm. Amplitube's presets suck ive realized but if you take your time you can definitely get some good tones. Whats your guys opinions and this is NOT involving impulse cabs at all? also opinions on Guitar rig.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Guitar Rig is good cause it comes with many great effects that can be used for other things.

I like POD Farm for bass sounds I can get from it and with and impulse great guitar sounds.

Never used Amplitube 3.

All presets suck in Guitar Rig and POD Farm and I assume Amplitube.

I personally prefer TSE X50 with Cab Impusles or LeCto with impulses or LeXTAC with imuplses.

You can prob get good sound out of any with good tweaking though.

Of your choices I say POD Farm.
I've tried all 3 and never really liked any of them, my favorite amp sims are Metal Amp Room and Lepou's. The demo version of Revalver Mk.III sounds pretty damn good very high gain stuff, theirs a sandpaper type fizz/distortion which I couldn't seem to EQ out though. I must try Amplitube 3.5 soon, I've heard great things about that.
I would avoid Izotope as it usually makes songs sound worse because people don't use it correctly.

Izotope has distortion program called Izotope Trash btw

Free Amp Sims + Impulses + Good EQing + Compression is the best bet.
Well, like everything that comes up on this board, I've used all three. One thing I've found equally bad with all 3 are presets. I don't rate by presets. Presets are only useful if you don't know what you're doing.

Anyways. With Amplitube, right out of the box I found problems. The high gain amps produced a lot of feedback and the clean sounds weren't clean enough for me. Even after layering a few effects on, it didn't sound right. The UI felt wonky and I just felt disappointed at the end of the day.

Guitar Rig 4 is nice. Its got a lot of good amps out of the box but the cabs are hit and miss. Some I like, some I don't. The high gain amps don't produce feedback like the Amplitube ones do but they still sound a little muddy. Clean sounds amazing with this guy. Lots of great effects and stuff for guitar.

Pod Farm depends on which version you get. I have the Platinum so I have everything. I've found PF the easiest to get a sound I like out of it. I can get anything between a huge driven sound to a crystal clear with a few tweaks. Its not 100% perfect since you have a huge pricetag for the good stuff and some amp sims are meh.

I voted for PF. Its my typical first choice for an amp sim. As for the whole "Free Vs. Paid" debate. Its all down to preference. Personally, I cant find a good clean free amp sim. I can find anything good for Metal but I don't play metal.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
anyone have some link's to good free amp simps? (for heavy music) want a born of osiris/after the burial type of tone. Also I know how to do cab impulses if you are using a DAW that does VST's but I run pro tools, is there a FREE way to do cab impulses for RTA's?
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Quote by lockwolf
Well, like everything that comes up on this board, I've used all three. One thing I've found equally bad with all 3 are presets. I don't rate by presets. Presets are only useful if you don't know what you're doing.

+1

rating based on the presets is dumb just cause your not really rating the program but the arbitrary setup of the factory default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

POD Farm is great for metal if you get the metal add-on pack. The 5150, Diezel, and Bogner sims are fantastic for high gain.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I have Amplitube 3 and GR4, haven't messed with Pod Farm.

I just use Amplitube 3 for metal, and GR4 for everything else really. I get great 80s rock/metal tone from GR4. Cab simulation is much better on Amplitube, and with that being said, sometimes I can get much nicer cleans (on Amplitube) than GR4. However, for metal I always use impulses anyway.

Just my $0.02
I always use Amplitube pretty much. I have Pod Farm but I haven't messed with it in a long long time. Guitar Rig has some nice features but I still use Amplitube as the amp.
I've never used Pod Farm, but I have used both GR4 and Amplitube and I prefer Amplitube for the distortion and some effect while GR4 is great for everything else, especially cleans. The Soldano and Orange amps in Amplitube is awesome by the way, you guys should try them out.
Quote by FireHawk
except for the horrible pumping and clipped brick walling a lot of people end up using it for.

izotope is a cheap way to try to master

First sentence doesn't even make sense. And it's actually a pretty quick and efficient way to master once you make some of your own presets. It's kinda nice to be able master a song in about twenty minutes.
I think one thing that really bothers me in Amplitube though is the lack of true stereo processing in effects and amps. They allow for 2 lines of effect that you can make stereo, but that is a waste of slots and time.

This makes double tracking with post-amp/effects hard.
Last edited by Clay-man at May 19, 2011,
None of the above, I'd go for VANDAL, way less known but probably the best Amp Sim I've ever heard.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by CrossBack7
First sentence doesn't even make sense. And it's actually a pretty quick and efficient way to master once you make some of your own presets. It's kinda nice to be able master a song in about twenty minutes.

Make your own preset?! How can you even think to master a song with any preset? Every track has potentially unique 'presets' required... presets should only be on mastering plug-ins to show beginners the kinds of processes people might go through when mastering.

As for amp sims, I find LePou's Lecto head is my fav, and I use Space Designer to load the impulse responses of a Mesa 4x12 created by some people on ultimate-metal, or a 1960 Marshall 4x12 from Redwirez (as it was free...)
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at May 19, 2011,
Quote by CrossBack7

The first does make sense and its over compression and making your track to loud. You see that a ton from Ozone users. Also EQing tends to be way to trebley or bassy from Ozone users.

Obviously I am generalizing, if you go through and mess with all the settings then yes Ozone is good. It just makes more sense to be to just do what is needed and avoid messing with the master to much.

My tracks I know sound better since I have stopped using Ozone.

Quote by DisarmGoliath

As for amp sims, I find LePou's Lecto head is my fav, and I use Space Designer to load the impulse responses of a Mesa 4x12 created by some people on ultimate-metal, or a 1960 Marshall 4x12 from Redwirez (as it was free...)

Have you noticed any differences in Impulse Response programs? I been using Keifer and was just wondering what you think? I haven't tried any others. I'd assume there is no difference, refering to the actual VST, not the actual impulses.
Last edited by FireHawk at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles
POD Farm is great for metal if you get the metal add-on pack. The 5150, Diezel, and Bogner sims are fantastic for high gain.

I wasn't a big fan of the Bogner sim, actually. It felt 'bouncy' to me, like... Rubbery, like my strings were rubber bands...
Quote by FireHawk
Have you noticed any differences in Impulse Response programs? I been using Keifer and was just wondering what you think? I haven't tried any others. I'd assume there is no difference, refering to the actual VST, not the actual impulses.

Well, tbh I use Space Designer because it came free with Logic (one of the bundled plug-ings, though it's main job is actually as a convolution reverb, but you can load your own impulse responses, which is what I do to use it for amp sims) so I've not used any standalone cabloaders, but I'm not so sure I could anyway as there aren't many freeware AU plug-ins around.

That being said, using Space Designer means I can adjust the envelope of the IR, and EQ and wet/dry signal etc. though I've never bothered to so far as it sounds fine with just the impulse and set to 100% wet - I imagine you'd get the same control with any convolution reverb that lets you load your own IR's though, if you wanted to experiment.

Other than that added versatility though, I can't imagine cabloaders sound any better or worse... all they really have to do is read an impulse response so I shouldn't imagine many people would notice a difference. Plus, at the end of the day you only hear what they're doing when you have an amp sim pre in front of them so unless you set up identical channels with different cabloaders you wouldn't know, as you'll spend time EQ'ing to your taste anyway!

Quote by L2112Lif
I wasn't a big fan of the Bogner sim, actually. It felt 'bouncy' to me, like... Rubbery, like my strings were rubber bands...

Have you played the Bogner being emulated though, in physical form? Just interested to see whether you don't like how it sounds, or don't find it accurate.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at May 19, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Make your own preset?! How can you even think to master a song with any preset? Every track has potentially unique 'presets' required... presets should only be on mastering plug-ins to show beginners the kinds of processes people might go through when mastering.

Why wouldn't I make my own preset? If I know what MY voice sounds best as, why not save myself the trouble? Yeah, I might tweak it from song to song, but it's better than EQing it all over. Same with guitar tones. Do it once for a certain tone, it's that much easier. So I don't see why the hell you're freaking out. I use it on each track individually, so I don't see why I wouldn't use presets for certain guitar tones, drum sets, or voices. It doesn't mean I don't tweak them, it just makes it that much easier.

And to the other guy, you were probably relying on it too heavily then.

As for amp sims, I like Lepou's Legion a lot as my head for distorted stuff. The Lepou Lextac is pretty good too. I also use a 6505 head at times. Just depends what I'm doing. And I just use Lepou LeCab with various impulses that I found and liked. You can do it for free if you're willing to work a little extra. I have a friend who uses Amplitude, and it didn't really strike me as anything special, though I can't say anything about the other two.
Quote by CrossBack7
Why wouldn't I make my own preset? If I know what MY voice sounds best as, why not save myself the trouble? Yeah, I might tweak it from song to song, but it's better than EQing it all over. Same with guitar tones. Do it once for a certain tone, it's that much easier. So I don't see why the hell you're freaking out. I use it on each track individually, so I don't see why I wouldn't use presets for certain guitar tones, drum sets, or voices. It doesn't mean I don't tweak them, it just makes it that much easier.

Ok, well to keep it civil: I think using a mastering-grade, all-in-one plug-in on every track and using presets instead of starting from scratch and building up what the track actually needs is a bit of a cop-out from actually mixing a track and doing so for the enjoyment of music. And if you have to go an tweak everything (which you will, if you're mixing a track to a high standard, as surely everyone experienced in the mixing side of audio engineering knows that every situation calls for a different application of the tools available) I don't even see how that much time is saved... I'd find it quicker to select a plug-in and go to what I want from scratch, rather than loading a preset -> removing what I don't want -> tweaking the settings on what I do want. I can also imagine that using Ozone on every track is pretty CPU-heavy... in my opinion that's a bit of a waste, if it means you're running out of space elsewhere (though I presume you aren't, as you wouldn't do it then) so I would rather have space to use a lot more elsewhere and tailor my tracks my way.

Also, using Ozone and presets prevents you from using a lot of great plug-ins from other people, unless you're selectively using elements of Ozone. I'm much happier using different compressors and EQ's and effects for different 'sounds', and rarely would I use something designed for mastering a full mix on any one track. Additionally, I prefer to master with my own selection of tools, than to use one plug-in that claims to do everything best (Ever hear the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" ?).

Buuuut, I wasn't really flipping out - just surprised that people use mastering plug-ins in such a way.