ok guys, ive been learning parts of this song by guthrie govan (on and off) for months.
im stuck on this lick, that is the most funky jazzy line, but its played very quickly.
if i could learn this lick, it would really inspire me to learn more, because ive been in a baaaad rut with my playing for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc1tFoxTepM

the lick is the 16th note triplets (the fast part for people who dont know rhythms) at 1:20.
ive seen youtube vids of a lesson of this exact lick, but it doesnt help AND it seems guthrie himself only picks the first note, and does hammer ons for the rest of the lick, where in the lesson video the guy picks every note.

my only problem with the lick is the fingering on my left hand (how can the right hand technique be hard its only one picked note lol).
should i slide notes? should i hammer on and pull off every one?

by the way, if you have guitar pro, in the version i have its in measure 30.

TLDR: watch the vid, help me learn the fast lick at 1:20. =]

EDIT: i posted a question about guitar technique in the guitar techniques forum, 42 views and no posts.

does anyone know how to play this lick? even if you cant play the lick but can shred, help me i cant shred haha
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at May 18, 2011,
Firstly, the recorded version is all picked, the legato is a choice that Guthrie makes live only. Secondly, each note is very clearly and separately articulated (again, going by the studio version) there are no slides or anything in it.

Really, I'm of the opinion that if you can't figure out how to play something yourself and you're not an absolute beginner that's probably a sign that you're not quite up to playing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Firstly, the recorded version is all picked, the legato is a choice that Guthrie makes live only. Secondly, each note is very clearly and separately articulated (again, going by the studio version) there are no slides or anything in it.

Really, I'm of the opinion that if you can't figure out how to play something yourself and you're not an absolute beginner that's probably a sign that you're not quite up to playing it.

i am "up to playing it", its just that my practice ussually lacks in the shred area.
i can play challenging stuff, like scale the summit (including some solos that i took the time to learn), a little bit of animals as leaders but thats about as technical i can get.

my philosophy is that i dont need to shred to say something good in music.
i can play 2 or 3 notes and have it "mean more" in music than someone who can play 15 in the time it took me to play those 3 notes.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
When I saw "Wonderful Slippery Thing", I thought you meant the insane tapping.

He uses Hammer ons/Pull offs "Out of nowhere" as Shawn Lane would say, so I would suggest practicing the whole lick without a single pick stroke, or one pick stroke per string with pull offs. You can pick the whole thing, although its all a mix of fluidity, articulation and personal preference.

my philosophy is that i dont need to shred to say something good in music.
i can play 2 or 3 notes and have it "mean more" in music than someone who can play 15 in the time it took me to play those 3 notes.

So why do you want to play these dozen notes?
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at May 28, 2011,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
When I saw "Wonderful Slippery Thing", I thought you meant the insane tapping.

He uses Hammer ons/Pull offs "Out of nowhere" as Shawn Lane would say, so I would suggest practicing the whole lick without a single pick stroke, or one pick stroke per string with pull offs. You can pick the whole thing, although its all a mix of fluidity, articulation and personal preference.

So why do you want to play these dozen notes?

because its an awesome lick haha

i do want to learn the tapping part, because im good at tapping but its sooooo fast
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
because its an awesome lick haha

i do want to learn the tapping part, because im good at tapping but its sooooo fast

The stretch and speed are what make it so hard. What makes it even better is how musical it is.

Govan's four note per string, string skipping arpeggio tapping is crazy, and the left hand E-9h10h14t17 is insane.