Gentlemen, last year my little brother dropped my epiphone Les paul goldtop on it's head, and the mast broke in half. Since then, I managed to repair most things in the guitar, except the pickups.

I bought another epi goldtop, and an ibanez, but I still have my old repaired GoldTop. The pickups got ****ed up when it fell, so I need a new pair. I love Smashing Pumpkins, Audioslave/RatM, a bit of cage the elephant, Pink Floyd, Queens of the stone age, Sound Garden, Them Crooked Vultures and The White stripes. I'd like a pair of pickups that can fit a Les Paul Goldtop and can give me a sound somewhat similar to some of these groups. Cuality is important. I am not sure of how expensive pickups are (I've never gone shopping for them before, I am clueless), so I can't give you a price range.

Any suggestions?
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
What's actually wrong with the pickups - are they not making sound or are they physically damaged? Because if they're not physically damaged there's probably nothing wrong with them.

If you want to replace them I'd say stick a pair of Pearly Gates in it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
They're not making sound. I took them to a friend that has fixed my guitars right up before, but said the pickups would be more expensive than it's worth to repair. Are these Pearly Gates a brand or a model?

EDIT: Ok, found them. Are you sure they'll fit? The guitar currently has a pair of P-90s

MAL
Last edited by Flagon at May 18, 2011,
Its actually very hard to "break" a pickup unless you pull the cover off, remove the tape and wax and physically stab the windings or something. 50+ year old PAFs that have been beat to hell are still alive and kicking. My opinion is it isn't wired up correctly. The chances are you messing up two pickups is very very slim.

The pearly gates pickup will not fit a P-90 slot.
Last edited by al112987 at May 18, 2011,
Perhaps it is, but that guitar already had two dudes have a go at it and it still won't sing. And that's a shame The pearly gates seemed nice...

Any suggestion on any other pickups?

MAL
It's most likely not the pick ups. Try replacing all the pots and stuff.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Yeah, like the others have said, pickups are hard to destroy. Unless they've completely smashed apart I can't see how the windings would have broken.

If you've got a multimeter you could try measuring the DC resistance of the pickup. If you're getting a reading in the region of a few kΩ then they're fine. If there is a break in the wire, the resistance would be too high for the multimeter to read.
I'll probably have it checked by someone else. Shame, I kinda wanted new pickups

MAL
I would check the switch and input jack before the pickups.

If you really want new pickups... Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90s are very good. Wolfetone makes a good P-90 as well, Gibsons are ok, some people like Lollars too.