So today i got what i believe is called a Melodeon. I know absolutely nothing about the instrument but the one i got has a lot of family history behind it, so i would love to learn. As well as the fact it sounds hectic.

Google has failed me, i cannot find any information on how to actually play it, or any tutorials or anything like that.

Does anyone have any good websites? or some pointers or anything!

Much Reguards, apologies if this is in the wrong section
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Isnt it just a shitty organ?
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
That site looks pretty sweet, il give it a go. thanks!

Join The NSW FTW Group
Dempsy the best i can describe it is an acordian without a piano side. Your welcome to think its a "shitty organ" But any instrument can be beautiful with the right training, so as i am also entitled to my opinion i have this to say, **** off, isnt a bass just a shitty guitar? Yes in a way but it is also one of the most important parts of a band. No instrument is shitty and you will never be a great musician with that attitude

FYI i know anything i say is complete bullshit because my avatar is cradle of filth haha, but hey we were all stupid teenagers once in our lives. Mind you im still a teenager

Join The NSW FTW Group
Quote by CoF-Dean
Dempsy the best i can describe it is an acordian without a piano side. Your welcome to think its a "shitty organ" But any instrument can be beautiful with the right training, so as i am also entitled to my opinion i have this to say, **** off, isnt a bass just a shitty guitar? Yes in a way but it is also one of the most important parts of a band. No instrument is shitty and you will never be a great musician with that attitude

FYI i know anything i say is complete bullshit because my avatar is cradle of filth haha, but hey we were all stupid teenagers once in our lives. Mind you im still a teenager

I was just saying shitty organ, as in "sub-par" or "low quality". As I thought it was one of those small, portable organs.

Calm the **** down and dont preach to me about my attitude. There are plenty of shitty instruments, and I collect and play many novelty instruments anyways.
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Last edited by DempseyPunk at May 18, 2011,
Um...Melodeons are the shit man! Learn it! And listen to Bellowhead.
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It looks like an organ, do you know anything about keyboard instruments?

I'm sure it's the same.

So far I've found 3 different instuments that all go by the name of 'melodeon'

The one the TS is talking about is similar to an accordian, but there are also two keyboard instruments that go by that name as well. One, which I think is the one you are referring to, is basicaly just a peddled pipe organ, where the peddles work bellows.

The other, which is actualy a 'terpodion' but is often called a melodeon, actualy works off friction, kinda like rubbing a wet finger on the rim of a wine glass, only in this case it is a rotating cylinder.

Check out this of footage of a terpodion in action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Terpodion2.ogv
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 18, 2011,
That Terpodion thing looks wicked!

@Templar im definitely gonna give it my best, it sounds so cool

And thus far the biggest thing im having trouble getting my head around is the fact the notes are different with reguards to wether you push it in or pull it out, athough i have seem to of figured out a scale on at least 4 notes LOL small steps but good

EDIT: ^^ Yeah, it seems like a really gray area, heaps of different styles of Melodeon seem to go by different names

Join The NSW FTW Group
Quote by CoF-Dean
That Terpodion thing looks wicked!

@Templar im definitely gonna give it my best, it sounds so cool

And thus far the biggest thing im having trouble getting my head around is the fact the notes are different with reguards to wether you push it in or pull it out, athough i have seem to of figured out a scale on at least 4 notes LOL small steps but good

EDIT: ^^ Yeah, it seems like a really gray area, heaps of different styles of Melodeon seem to go by different names

It might help to keep in mind that the rows are based of broken chords - on a G/C melodion, the outer row inwards consists of a broken G chord, the inner row inwards a C, the outer row outwards A minor (interspaced with the major 6th, F#) and inner row outwards D minor (also with major 6th between, B in this case).

edit: and keep in mind that the octaves act differently with regards to in/out since the rows played outwards have one more note than the rows played inwards before repeating
Last edited by descara at May 18, 2011,
Thats actually really helpful, thanks a lot man! Just have to get my head around that now haha

Join The NSW FTW Group