Hey, kids
I've been trying to do some tapping at the minute, but no matter what, I always seem to hit the other strings, so it sounds incredibly rough and messy. Obviously, it's to do with muting, but are there any tips you guys could offer, to improve?
For reference, I've been playing going on two years, and would call myself somewhere between beginner and intermediately skilled.
For reference, a video of my tapping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LfxQg6xd8&feature=youtube_gdata
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Slow it down, focusing on each individual tap/hammer/pull off, making sure each one comes out nicely. Once you can play it cleanly slow start speeding it up.
You should also be sure to practice lots of different patterns, eventually moving on to multiple string taps, using multiple fingers on the right hand to tap cleanly and clearly, etc.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
I think part of the problem is that your fretting hand is at a bit of an odd angle. Your fretting hand fingers should be more parallel to the frets.

Apart from that you should be muting the thicker strings with your tapping hand palm, and the thinner strings with your fretting hand.

You're pretty good though, I think it's mostly a question of hand position and muting...
As soon as I get around to trying out the responses, I must leave for an exam xD I've never thought of my hand as being at a strange angle, that was always how it felt natural to play. Once I return from my English GCSE, I shall examine that.
I have been playing it slowly and speeding it up, I think I've just gotten ahead of myself a little too much xD
And my final question is, Chainsaw, muting the higher strings with my fretting hand? How might I go about this?
Thanks, guys, I appreciate both the help, and the speedy responses :P
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Okay, I appreciate that I need to slow down and learn it better - That's my primary objective. However, I notice that 'unclean-ness' is 50% me missing with my right hand taps, and 50% my fretting hand catching the high E string. The tapping, I can presumably just improve my accuracy on, but what was the technique Chainsaw mentioned about muting the high string with my fretting hand?
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Slow it down and practice. Really concentrate on hitting the notes, and having them come out clean. Also, I would start with something easier. Look up Diamond Heads Am I Evil?. There's a tapping section in the solo of it that's quite easy. Where I first learned to tap.
I'll give that a look, thanks
Rotten Playground

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Slow it down. Don't tap fast until you can slower. Then gradually speed up to the desired speed over the course of a few days to a few weeks. That's what I did anyway.
Quote by HeretiK538
As soon as I get around to trying out the responses, I must leave for an exam xD I've never thought of my hand as being at a strange angle, that was always how it felt natural to play. Once I return from my English GCSE, I shall examine that.
I have been playing it slowly and speeding it up, I think I've just gotten ahead of myself a little too much xD
And my final question is, Chainsaw, muting the higher strings with my fretting hand? How might I go about this?Thanks, guys, I appreciate both the help, and the speedy responses :P

Your index finger to be more precise. It should (almost) always be covering all of the strings higher than what you're on. For example: you should be able to fret the fifth fret of the A string, hit ALL of the strings with your pick, and only be able to hear that D on the A string. Your problem sounds more like you're not muting the LOWER strings with the tip of your index finger, and/or your not muting the lower strings with the palm of your right hand.

Also, in addition to what everyone said, try doing the standard Eruption pattern first on an acoustic, then on an electric with a clean tone, and THEN electric with distortion. Everyone wants to jump right into gainsville all the time, but when they try anything on an acoustic they realise their articiculation sucks. Don't be one of those people
sounds cool to me you are an artist who is expressing themselves u kno? do wat u want d wat u can