This song was one of the main reasons I wanted to play guitar.

The part I really want to learn is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbPNwuIBsOA at 1:25, which is:

I've been playing for 4 months.

I started playing this song tonight, and after 20 minutes, I could play it at a slow, downstrumming speed.

Is this song too hard? How long before I should really start attempting it?
Hey, great effort. I was working on that a lot like a year or two after I first started.

At the moment I'd say it's probably a bit too difficult perhaps since you're attempting it with downstrokes.
Downstrokes won't let you get the same flow as it's meant to be played with.
That part is played with sweeping/economy picking.
I'd say look into some simpler economy/alternate picking licks before attempting this.
You *could* work on it really slow with proper technique, but the time it takes to master it like that can be a bit demoralising.
Not trying to put you down, just saying it's a difficult lick to get right after having played only 4 months!

That said...don't be discouraged trying licks "out of your league", it can serve as inspiration to practice more and harder.
Re-visit this lick in a few months and see how you fare with it.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
to be honest that song is massively out of your league, I've been playing 4 years, play very regularly and I would struggle.

Obviously I know some people practise 8 hours a day and learn certain things faster but I doubt you can sweep pick or accuratly alternate/economy pick, those are the skills you will need for this song

You cant do it with downstrokes because then you will end up with something sounding completetly different.

Its good to push yourself with hard licks and stuff, thats how I learnt but in this case its going a little too far, try working on some more simpler shred licks and learn your techniques first
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
to be honest that song is massively out of your league, I've been playing 4 years, play very regularly and I would struggle.

Obviously I know some people practise 8 hours a day and learn certain things faster but I doubt you can sweep pick or accuratly alternate/economy pick, those are the skills you will need for this song

You cant do it with downstrokes because then you will end up with something sounding completetly different.

Its good to push yourself with hard licks and stuff, thats how I learnt but in this case its going a little too far, try working on some more simpler shred licks and learn your techniques first

Any good famous licks which are easier?
Try enter sandman ?
That particular part you posted isnt hard, but it needs you more time to get to know guitar, achieve faster freting movements and picking.

And, uhm.. you said you downpicked that? Nah... alternative pick it.. if you try to downpick that thing to its original tempo your wrist will just... fall off...
Last edited by DocArunas at May 18, 2011,
Quote by DocArunas
Try enter sandman ?
That particular part you posted isnt hard, but it needs you more time to get to know guitar, achieve faster freting movements and picking.

And, uhm.. you said you downpicked that? Nah... alternative pick it.. if you try to downpick that thing to its original tempo your wrist will just... fall off...

Will do, which part of enter sandman

and I downpicked it because Im having enough trouble getting my left hand to move in the correct positions quickly , especially after 20 mins, I'll keep at it though
Well,

1|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
2|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
3|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
4|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
5|--2---2----/7---------------5-------5--------4---5---4-----------------|
6|--0---0---------6---5------3---0---3---0---2---3---2-----------------|

Most memorable lick of all times :P
Quote by xChRoMaTiCx
Will do, which part of enter sandman

and I downpicked it because Im having enough trouble getting my left hand to move in the correct positions quickly , especially after 20 mins, I'll keep at it though

Not to sound like an asshole or anything and I don't want to be a d*ck, but really. You have only been playing for 4 months and you're asking questions about Tornado of Souls, Master of Puppets and now this. You should really get some basics down before you tackle difficult stuff. That may seem boring if you're only interested in metal, but it will make you an allround better player. It happens so often that I see kids who are only interested in metal playing guitar in guitar shops, but they play it so sloppy, because they have never got the basics down. If your foundations are weak, everything that's going to be built on top of it will be as well. Not to discourage you, but there's is no way you can play this shit accurately after only 4 months. i made the same mistake when I started out and when I really wanted to get good, I had to spent a lot of time getting my basic stuff right. It all paid out though, but I wish I had done that sooner. Good luck.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by DocArunas
Well,

1|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
2|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
3|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
4|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
5|--2---2----/7---------------5-------5--------4---5---4-----------------|
6|--0---0---------6---5------3---0---3---0---2---3---2-----------------|

Most memorable lick of all times :P

Oh I know how to play that I didnt know that was a lick even
Quote by RDSElite
Not to sound like an asshole or anything and I don't want to be a d*ck, but really. You have only been playing for 4 months and you're asking questions about Tornado of Souls, Master of Puppets and now this. You should really get some basics down before you tackle difficult stuff. That may seem boring if you're only interested in metal, but it will make you an allround better player. It happens so often that I see kids who are only interested in metal playing guitar in guitar shops, but they play it so sloppy, because they have never got the basics down. If your foundations are weak, everything that's going to be built on top of it will be as well. Not to discourage you, but there's is no way you can play this shit accurately after only 4 months. i made the same mistake when I started out and when I really wanted to get good, I had to spent a lot of time getting my basic stuff right. It all paid out though, but I wish I had done that sooner. Good luck.

Yeh, you have a point, but remember others also say that you should try harder stuff so that the easier stuff becomes easier
that only works if youre already comfortable with the easier stuff