I want to get a strat or a tele, cheap. I am debating between Fender or G&L. Mexican Fender or G&L tribute (where are these made?).

Anybody got any opinions? (let the debate begin...)
I have a G&L. Its not a tribute but a Legacy Special. This is definitely the best guitar i have ever played, but of course Fender makes great guitars too. You should try both and then decide but i think you cant go wrong really...
They are kinda different in feel and G&L Legacy guitars are supposed to be better than Mexican Fenders, though that's debatable IMO.

You'll have to decide yourself anyway.
G&Ls are great guitars. They sell them in the shop I used to work at, and I always found myself picking them up when it wasn't busy. I really liked the Tribute Strats. Can't recall where the Tributes are made, but they're definitely quality guitars.

On the other hand, MIM Fenders are excellent guitars too. There's not much that separates the MIM from the MIA guitars, other than being constructed south of the border. Similar parts, similar QC, but much lower price.

Either way you're going to get a good guitar. As PapaSchumpf said, try them both out and see which you prefer.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
the tributes are made in the far east somewhere... indonesia maybe? seem to recall that vaguely...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
G&L's have a different feel than a Fender. You can't really go wrong with either one of them though, they both are quality guitars for the price.

I personally prefer Fender to G&L but you could be the total opposite. Try them both out and see how they feel to you, that's all that matters really.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Quote by Dave_Mc
the tributes are made in the far east somewhere... indonesia maybe? seem to recall that vaguely...

they are indeed made in indonesia.
I'd say get the one that you like the most.

There is not an appreciable difference for us forum guys to make the call. They're too similar in quality, and it'll come down to whichever individual guitar you enjoy the most.

That being said, I personally like Fenders because I love the classic styling, as opposed to the more modern G&L look, but I wouldn't turn down a G&L Commanche though.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by monwobobbo
they are indeed made in indonesia.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yep, it's Indonesia. A couple of the newer models are made in China. The older Tributes were originally made in Korea.

I have a G&L Tribute Legacy HB (HSS Strat, not the newer HHH version). IMHO, it blows the MIM Strats out of the water. 2-point floating bridge, better looks, USA electronics/Alnico V pups, smoother feel, yadda yadda yadda.

(Not mine, but same model^)

Some of the other Tributes (ASAT, Comanche, S-500) have G&L's Magnetic Field Design pickups, which I believe are ceramic single-coils. I've played the ASAT Special and Comanche, which have a distinctly "glassy" sound. They're undoubtedly nice guitars, but go for the Legacy or MIM if you prefer a more vintage sound.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Icarus Lives
I heard G&L have better quality control and are better value.

I'm generally not interested in the really big brands, like Fender and Gibson, you pay for the name, its all over-priced.

I've never felt like they are that much overpriced or that you simply pay for the name.
Furthermore I find it hard to find guitars that can compete with Gibson's and Fender's low, mid and high mid range series for the money tone-wise.
Features and comstetic-wise it's a different story: Far East made guitars dominate the EMG, Floyd, coil tapz, fancy quilt tops/inlays equipped guitar market IMO.