I only really fart around with guitar but this question is up there with 'why are we here' and 'is there a god for me'

I am trying to sweep this shape.

e|-------12-17-12-------|
B|----13----------13----|
G|-14----------------14-|
D|----------------------|
A|----------------------|
E|----------------------|

I dont know how to sweep notes on the same string?

I go down and I nail the 12 13 12 I go up and I hit the 12 13 14... and the missing number is the 17? I dont understand how I am meant to include the 17?

My sweeping so far is

9 Practicing rolling the index finger, coming along nicely.

The D chord shape and

14 13 12
9 8 7 etc.

I know there has got to be a trick for me to include the 17 I just have no idea what it is, can anyone enlighten me?
A hammer on and pull off, then either sweep 12, 13 14 up, or just have the 12h17p12 and "sweep" the 13 and 14, depends on whether you want a picked or legato sound on the top e string
Last edited by elvor0 at May 18, 2011,
Pick the first 12 , then hammer on the 17 and pull off to the 12, so you only pick that string 1 time only. Or you could also pick the 1st 12 pick the 17 and pull off the 12 , and you would pick that string 2x.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Either sweep up, hammer on the 17, sweep down the 12 13 14

Sweep up, up pick the 17, pull off, and sweep down the 13 and 14

or

Sweep up, hammer on the 17, pull off to 12, sweep down the 13 and 14
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Yeah! Definitely hammer on. Or a really cool effect would be to tap the 17 with your right hand
I'd advise to sweeping down on 14-13-12 and then go up on 17 pulling off to 12 followed by up on 13 - repeat
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
try this instead
e|------------17------------|
B|--------17----17---------|
G|----17-----------17------|
D|-19-----------------19---|
A|---------------------------|
E|---------------------------|
Quote by JohnGR
try this instead
e|------------17------------|
B|--------17----17---------|
G|----17-----------17------|
D|-19-----------------19---|
A|---------------------------|
E|---------------------------|

Rolling your finger seems much harder for a beginner though...probably best to get that 3 string shape down first, since it's a pretty common shape.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Still haven't progressed

Can do a D chord

can do

Can do a messy F chord. Everyone in 12 times. Hard making the shape of the F and getting the fingers of in time but seperate.

-------12-15-12-15-12------------
----13----------------13---------
-12----------------------12------
---------------------------------

I still fundamentally DO NOT ****ING GET THIS. How in ****S name am I meant to play 3 notes on the e string at the same speed as my speeds, ****ing mc mao who belongs to rofles. HOW??? I cant alternate pick as fast as I sweep so this riff is pretty much out of bounds? How am I meant to do it, what finger position? I start in the D shape but then my pink barely gets the 15 absolute BS
When I palm mute while sweeping the notes dont ring out and it stuffs up my right hand having to do the sweeping motion with my fingers when I dont excess string noise everywhere. You hear my 3 fingers leaving their positions!
i hope youre trolling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbS53hy2JUk

legato/hammer on - pull off the 12-17-12 en high E

you dont ALWAYS palm mute all strings, hit one (G string in your case)-let the note ring out, hit B/mute G with your palm (the muting and hitting the next string is simultaneous), repeat for E string

it seems that sweeping is too advanced for you, since you dont know what hammer on and pull offs are i assume youre a beginner so you should rather stick with clean alt. picking and developing your muting. And when you'll have a hang of those move to sweeping/economy picking
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Jul 11, 2011,
Do you have anyone in your vicinity that do lessons? Perhaps it'd be good for you to get someone to show you all of this? It would be money well spent I think.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass