I dunno if this is a dumb question, but i have an esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe with emg 81+85 pickups. I'm thinking about changing them. I play mostly prog rock/metal (like dream theater, opeth, porcupine tree, btbam, the human abstract etc...) i like the crunchy sound you get with emg's with high gain, but i think they sound weak on clean and with small amounts of gain. Do you guys know about any good pickups? Is seymour duncan's good? I need a rich clean sound, as well as a heavy crunchy tone at high gain.
Last edited by Usernames sucks at May 18, 2011,
Duncans are good, yes. But I'd suggest you check out Dimarzio. They have pickups for all your needs.
Quote by Nugma
Duncans are good, yes. But I'd suggest you check out Dimarzio. They have pickups for all your needs.
Translation: "I own Dimarzios thus they are the best pickups ever"
I use a Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck. I can basically get ANY tone out of my guitar with that set up.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Dude emg's have an awesome clean sound. The higher output gives an awesome kick to it
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Get the 18v mod to deliver more out of your EMGs? And seriously, if your amp isn't good, then you might want to consider upgrading that first rather than changing EMGs into Dimarzios or SDs.
And New_Crisis, probably your pedals and your Peavey 5150 have nothing to do with with your tone. Seriously, the JB and Jazz pups are far from the best pickups Seymour Duncan produces.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Sakke
Get the 18v mod to deliver more out of your EMGs? And seriously, if your amp isn't good, then you might want to consider upgrading that first rather than changing EMGs into Dimarzios or SDs.
And New_Crisis, probably your pedals and your Peavey 5150 have nothing to do with with your tone. Seriously, the JB and Jazz pups are far from the best pickups Seymour Duncan produces.

I have a roland cube 80x amp.
And wich dimarzio's would you guys recomend?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at May 18, 2011,
^I would suggest a tube amp. It has much better cleans than your cube. Probably Laney VH100R with a matching cab could nail the tone you want, since you like Opeth. Åkerfeldt uses the GH series. Also you could consider Blackstar since Åkesson uses Series One amp.
Also, EMGs and other active pickups tend to work better with tube amps.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

SD Blackouts.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
If you're looking to switch to passive pickups, I'd suggest a ceramic bridge pickup and an alnico neck pickup. There are a lot of combinations as well as several brands to choose from, so I'd suggest doing some research and listen to sound clips of different pickups.
people complain about EMG cleans too damn much. eq your shit right and you can get sparkling cleans. yea sure they're high output but i can can a great clean by just rolling my guitar volume on my high gain channel! i even play classic rock with them (btw 85/81 set). youll basically be downgrading if you get anything beside other high end pickups. give the 18v mod a whirl. spend some time with your EQ
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
people complain about EMG cleans too damn much. eq your shit right and you can get sparkling cleans. yea sure they're high output but i can can a great clean by just rolling my guitar volume on my high gain channel! i even play classic rock with them (btw 85/81 set). youll basically be downgrading if you get anything beside other high end pickups. give the 18v mod a whirl. spend some time with your EQ

There is a reason why people use single coils for clean sounds and EMG's for Br00talz distortion..
Quote by al112987
Translation: "I own Dimarzios thus they are the best pickups ever"

Wrong.
Try bare knuckle pups?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by Usernames sucks
But what really does the 18v mod do as a difrence from the 9v?

I'm not really sure but i suppose it boosts the electric signal even more.
Quote by Usernames sucks
I dunno if this is a dumb question, but i have an esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe with emg 81+85 pickups. I'm thinking about changing them. I play mostly prog rock/metal (like dream theater, opeth, porcupine tree, btbam, the human abstract etc...) i like the crunchy sound you get with emg's with high gain, but i think they sound weak on clean and with small amounts of gain. Do you guys know about any good pickups? Is seymour duncan's good? I need a rich clean sound, as well as a heavy crunchy tone at high gain.

Define "rich" - do you mean warm, bright, sparkly, bassy?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dennis_SG
There is a reason why people use single coils for clean sounds and EMG's for Br00talz distortion..

No, single coils don't have a monopoly on good clean tone.... It's a different tone. Some prefer it, some prefer humbuckers.

And the EMG SA is one of the best single coil pickups out there, FYI, so don't lump all EMGs into one category.
im not saying there the best in the world but i can reccomend (strongly) bareknuckle pickups. products are of a high quality and the customer service is second to none.

also from above comments id suggest trying out a tube amp first with your guitar and then decide if you still want to change.
Quote by Sakke

I mean, of course they make a big part of my tone lol. But regardless, I find the JB/59 setup very versatile. I use my volume knob a lot, and can get a good array of tones. That's without using any pedals.

and I don't use the Jazz, Absolutely hate the way it sounds. The 59 on the other hand is wonderful.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by Usernames sucks
I would say bright and bassy. Not like a jazz guitar, more acoustic sounding.

Then you want a Dimarzio Humbucker form Hell in the neck, absolutely no question about that.

And probably a Breed or D-Sonic in the bridge - that'd depend on whether you want fat, warm and chunky or crisp and precise. The Crunch Lab and Steve's Special would be options too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com