I would like recommendations on a book for me to pick up which can educate me on electronics. I literally have little to know knowledge about electronics, so something that takes me from the ground up would be the best. Thanks
I'd start with something like Stan Gibilisco's Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics for the basics. Then if you want to know more or need a sort of cookbook move on to Paul Horowitz's The Art of Electronics. I thought Teach Yourself was good for the layman, and started with the physics concepts before moving on, whereas AoE was (and may still be) a college textbook.

There are also things like http://www.allaboutcircuits.com or MIT's open courses - both are worth looking into.
the Tim Swike books, "Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Hot Rod Techniques For Fender Stratocaster" and "Understanding wiring" are excellent, and explain how the components of guitar electronics work. Only thing is the diagrams aren't in colour.
One of my favorite reference websites is Beavisaudio.com .
The information there is top-notch and easy to understand. I also have another link on understanding the basics of electronics. I'll get it to you later as I am not on my computer right now.

The best way to learn is to have someone teach you. If you are still in high school, there may be an Electronics class. Physics may involve electronics but I'm not to sure about that. At my school there's a course called Electronics but it was taken out for lack of student interest. It would've been one of my favorite classes.

I remember when I was in this position, I spent many nights studying electronics.
Best of luck to you.
--timbit

EDIT: I almost forgot about the Electronics and Pedal building threads here! Look in the GB&C Essential Links thread for them. One thing that may be useful as well is to look at Bubonic Chronic's speaker cab tutorial. It shows how to wire cabs to meet certain impedances.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at May 19, 2011,
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll look into all of it! Fortunately for me my dad does this stuff for a living, but he lives over an hour away from me and doesn't have much time to teach me one on one. Sometimes I think he jumps the gun when answering my questions and I end up lost after the first sentence he utters. Guess I'll teach myself and try to get him to answer specific questions if I have them.
It's probably best to learn some basics before getting someone who's not an electronics teacher to teach you. Your dad probably doesn't have the patience to teach the basic stuff because it's very simple to him.

One thing that really helps with learning anything independantly: Quizzes/tests.
Doing a test shows yourself that you know the subject and are ready to move on. It is alot like school, except the internet full of electronics knowledge is your unresponive teacher who only speaks a foreign language which you don't understand. You have to learn that foreign language.

I just remembered something that I found a while ago. Visit the Youtube channel called Afrotech. This guy has found a way to keep me intrigued with what he's saying by throwing in jokes or completely ridiculous stuff. It's hard to explain exactly. You'll have to watch his videos.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
It's probably best to learn some basics before getting someone who's not an electronics teacher to teach you. Your dad probably doesn't have the patience to teach the basic stuff because it's very simple to him.

One thing that really helps with learning anything independantly: Quizzes/tests.
Doing a test shows yourself that you know the subject and are ready to move on. It is alot like school, except the internet full of electronics knowledge is your unresponive teacher who only speaks a foreign language which you don't understand. You have to learn that foreign language.

I just remembered something that I found a while ago. Visit the Youtube channel called Afrotech. This guy has found a way to keep me intrigued with what he's saying by throwing in jokes or completely ridiculous stuff. It's hard to explain exactly. You'll have to watch his videos.

Thanks for your advice. I'll look that channel up.