want to get my first guitar, but dont know what to get. anyone have any idea's ???
Last edited by emilystrange93 at May 18, 2011,
what's your budget? does that include an amp budget?

what country do you live in (affects prices and availability)?

what type(s) of music do you want to be able to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My budget for a guitar is about £200-£300. this doesnt include an amp budget. and i live in the uk (england)
cool

what is your amp budget?

what type of metal?

(sorry for all the questions but it'll help us to give better advice)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude you might want to buy a Ibanez G0, they are pretty good starter guitars and plus they dont cost much, plus they can be customized really well!
"My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. it is who i am."-Joan Jett
You should take into account that you'll need an amp. Playing electric guitar is no good without even a practice amp. Go for a little cheapy to start you off. And if you go to a guitar shop they will probably give you a discount for buying both at once (this might just take the form of a strap, cable, or strings).

Then there are also started packs which include all the items listed above but for a good price, even if they are low quality. If you practice well and get lessons and stuff, I'd say it would take you a year and a half to out-grow your first starter guitar.

Best quality starter guitar: Yamaha Pacifica
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-pacifica-112v-yellow-natural-satin/16458
Last edited by Icarus Lives at May 18, 2011,
Quote by emilystrange93
Amp budget would be about £300-£400
and any type of metal really.

cool, so what, like hair metal, thrash metal, nwobhm, metalcore, that type of stuff?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I walked into a store and got a ltd f-100fm and a little dinky amp with stand, cable, a variety of picks, and a chromatic tuner for less than 300 dollars.

I have never liked the guitar 'packs' (all comes in the same box), but if you go to a mom and pop music store, they can work you out a bundle and you can get a pretty decent guitar. I still use my ltd.

But either way, a starter kit is a good way to go. You might like the ibanez one. They are pretty good metal guitars.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
will you just be playing at home, or will you be gigging/jamming too?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 18, 2011,
ok, cool, thanks

both gak and richtone have the washburn x50pro for £350... i think they're the newer indonesian-made ones, and I've only tried the older Korean-made ones, but they were excellent for the money. If the Indonesian-made ones are at all similar (someone on here got one and thought it was great, but as I said, I haven't personally tried them), then that's gonna be hard to beat for that kind of money in the UK.

Amp depends on whether it's just for home practice or not. I went slightly over budget on the guitar on the basis that if needs be we can cut your amp budget slightly.

EDIT: for the amp, a modeller would probably be the best call. Tube amps are awesome, and with £300-£400 you're almost within range of them, just high-gain tube amps aimed at metal tend to be more expensive, and you'd have to pay a bit more...

I'd probably get something like a roland cube 30x (the smaller ones aren't as good, don't have the amp models, apart from the microcube, which is nice but very small) or peavey vypyr (i haven't tried that one but it's meant to be good for metal).

You could also maybe consider a blackstar ht5? it claims to be all-tube, but there's a lot of solid state stuff going on too, but for your situation and budget, it actually might be worth considering. I haven't tried it, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any Ibanez S is a good bet.

Or a used Jackson RR3
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
IMO you should try and go to a guitar shop and try out a few guitars and amps to see what suits you. Although Ibanez's are good metal guitars i personally dont like them and i play quite a few genres of metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok, cool, thanks

both gak and richtone have the washburn x50pro for £350... i think they're the newer indonesian-made ones, and I've only tried the older Korean-made ones, but they were excellent for the money. If the Indonesian-made ones are at all similar (someone on here got one and thought it was great, but as I said, I haven't personally tried them), then that's gonna be hard to beat for that kind of money in the UK.

Amp depends on whether it's just for home practice or not. I went slightly over budget on the guitar on the basis that if needs be we can cut your amp budget slightly.

EDIT: for the amp, a modeller would probably be the best call. Tube amps are awesome, and with £300-£400 you're almost within range of them, just high-gain tube amps aimed at metal tend to be more expensive, and you'd have to pay a bit more...

I'd probably get something like a roland cube 30x (the smaller ones aren't as good, don't have the amp models, apart from the microcube, which is nice but very small) or peavey vypyr (i haven't tried that one but it's meant to be good for metal).

You could also maybe consider a blackstar ht5? it claims to be all-tube, but there's a lot of solid state stuff going on too, but for your situation and budget, it actually might be worth considering. I haven't tried it, though.

Bugera's are between £300-400

Or do we need the fire brigade?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at May 18, 2011,
^ hehe

i thought they were generally over £400?

Quote by RockGuitarist09
IMO you should try and go to a guitar shop and try out a few guitars and amps to see what suits you. Although Ibanez's are good metal guitars i personally dont like them and i play quite a few genres of metal.

how does she do that if she doesn't play yet, and know much about guitars?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ hehe

i thought they were generally over £400?

how does she do that if she doesn't play yet, and know much about guitars?

i do play slightly and my boyfriend (fisheth24) has told me a few things about guitars and amps .....
Get a decent modeling amp (Vox valvetronix, Fender Mustang series).
Then, get something like a Yamaha Pacifica.

As a beginner, you need versatility and decent quality, and this setup will give you just that.

Ofcourse, being that your amp budget is just under 400 pounds, you could possibly find a Blackstar HT5 within the budget. This will be slightly less versatile (no built-in effects), but have better overall quality for what it does.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Get a decent modeling amp (Vox valvetronix, Fender Mustang series).
Then, get something like a Yamaha Pacifica.

As a beginner, you need versatility and decent quality, and this setup will give you just that.

Ofcourse, being that your amp budget is just under 400 pounds, you could possibly find a Blackstar HT5 within the budget. This will be slightly less versatile (no built-in effects), but have better overall quality for what it does.

Seem to be confused messages here, isn't the guitar budget under £400?

She is my GF after all so she does confuse me xD
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Seem to be confused messages here, isn't the guitar budget under £400?

She is my GF after all so she does confuse me xD

guitar budget is £200-£300

Amp budget is £300-£400

and thanks
Bugera 333XL
Jackson RR3

good idea?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ the only thing I'd say is that RRs are a pain to sit down with, and also the trem on the jackson pros isn't that great. Aside from that it's a pretty good guitar, made in japan and all that. I have a dkmgt (no trem, same series apart from the emg pickups) and it's a very nice guitar. Is it under budget, though? the jackson prices have skyrocketed recently...

Quote by emilystrange93
i do play slightly and my boyfriend (fisheth24) has told me a few things about guitars and amps .....

ah ok, i didn't realise that. just we often have threads from new players, and people tell them to go and try them out, and they like "wtf, how do i do that, i don't even play yet?!"

Quote by emilystrange93
guitar budget is £200-£300

Amp budget is £300-£400

and thanks

i was just considering the budget as a whole, because e.g. that washburn should be a lot better than most guitars under the £300 mark.

However, you could argue the same thing for the amps- just over £400 would buy you a traynor ycv50b from thomann, and again it's arguably a much better amp than a lot of the cheaper ones. Or even those bugeras, if they don't set you on fire, lol.

It really just depends, and it's really up to you. Generally speaking the amp is more important, but IMO when you're at a lower budget (your budget is pretty good actually), I'd veer towards getting a solid, good guitar, and then worry about the amp. Certainly some of those cheaper modellers like the roland cube are pretty good if you're just starting out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?