Hey guys, so I was checking my wishlist of future upgrades and the next big one is getting a new amp. I have been waiting for this for months, since my cash flow isn't exactly steady.

My budget is 280 euro, which I could ramp up to 330 euro's but that would mean waiting another month and not spending anything in that time. I live in the Netherlands.

I primarily play 80's metal and more classic bands, like Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, etc. I also love clean sounds, with a nice dash of reverb to them.

Important is that it will be gig-worthy without needing a PA, since most of my gigs never had one or aren't likely to get one.

I have been looking at the Fender Frontman 212. I already played it with a humbucker-loaded guitar, and its cleans are great, as is the reverb, but the overdrive/distortion is simply put horrible. It's worse than Line 6 Spider distortion.

Could you make some suggestions ?
wow, i was going to suggest the 212 before i even saw you wrote that. definitely go with 212. i got it about a month and a half ago and i still love it. it's loud, the clean is classic fender, the reverb's decent, and the distortion is actually really awesome you just have to take some time to sit down and mess with it. and again, it's loud as shit for the price.

edit: i play a fender '72 deluxe and a gibson sg special through it and both sound amazing. it's sick with humbuckers, don't worry.
Last edited by assparade69 at May 18, 2011,
The Frontmans are pretty good with distortion pedals, as Fender amps tend to love pedals. I used to have an FM-212R, and it was as good with a distortion pedal than any amp with a distortion pedal is. However, though it's powerful and loud as hell, I wouldn't recommend it for gigging - even with a stompbox, the amp sounds bad when it's played loud enough to gig with, or, at least mine did.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by assparade69
wow, i was going to suggest the 212 before i even saw you wrote that. definitely go with 212. i got it about a month and a half ago and i still love it. it's loud, the clean is classic fender, the reverb's decent, and the distortion is actually really awesome you just have to take some time to sit down and mess with it. and again, it's loud as shit for the price.

edit: i play a fender '72 deluxe and a gibson sg special through it and both sound amazing. it's sick with humbuckers, don't worry.

I didn't really sit down that long with it at the shop, just twisted some knobs on the distortion, changed channels, and then went on to a Blackstar HT-5 the shop worker recommended after hearing me play Raining Blood, of which the cleans weren't what I was looking for and the price is too high for me atm. I'm going back next Saturday anyway though, to see if I can tweak the EQ more to my liking on all channels.
A Frontman?
No!
Its fender's equivalent of my MG
Just my personal opinion, but you can do a LOT better than that.
I suggest a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60/ SS 75.
Also a used Peavey Windsor.
Laney's LC15 is also in your budget, very 80's metal voiced.
Not the HT series either. Its not a bad amp, but IMO a bit too modern voiced for 80's metal.
BLCKSTAR HT-5 !!! BEST AMP EVVUURR!!!

yea the Vypyr would probably the best choice since you have a small budget.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by GS LEAD 5
A Frontman?
No!
Its fender's equivalent of my MG
Just my personal opinion, but you can do a LOT better than that.
I suggest a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60/ SS 75.
Also a used Peavey Windsor.
Laney's LC15 is also in your budget, very 80's metal voiced.
Not the HT series either. Its not a bad amp, but IMO a bit too modern voiced for 80's metal.

pretty much this

I've owned a Frontman 212 and the Vypyr 60 and the Vypyr pwns
I'm having a really hard time trying to find those suggested models. Checked out 6 sites from Dutch shops near Amsterdam and none of the models are available.
I also checked Ebay and Marktplaats, our Dutch equivalent.
In the case of the Vypyr 60, it's relatives aren't available either.
Sucks if you ask me.

EDIT: I just found Thomann, they seem to have a great selection of amps, is it safe to buy amps from them ? My cash flow isn't of the kind where I can easily get my hands on another 280 any time soon.
Last edited by Lord_Doku at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Lord_Doku
I'm having a really hard time trying to find those suggested models. Checked out 6 sites from Dutch shops near Amsterdam and none of the models are available.
I also checked Ebay and Marktplaats, our Dutch equivalent.
In the case of the Vypyr 60, it's relatives aren't available either.
Sucks if you ask me.

EDIT: I just found Thomann, they seem to have a great selection of amps, is it safe to buy amps from them ? My cash flow isn't of the kind where I can easily get my hands on another 280 any time soon.

Go for it.
They are very big company, and are extremely reliable.
Alright, I've found a Peavey Bandit 112 S II TransTube for 340 euro's, which I can pickup next week.
I already checked some demo's on YouTube, trying to find the best demo's ofcourse and found that it doesn't sound like a bad SS amp. Should I take it ?
Can you find a used Laney VC30 at a reasonable price? I know they're cheaper here in the UK than elsewhere, but I sometimes see them go for £275 used on ebay and they're exactly what you need.
Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
I've been looking around, only found 2 VC30's and they only just fit in my budget. It still requires shipping from abroad though, and I'm having a hard enough time to trust web shops and shipping companies with anything I buy as it is.
Can you find a Laney LC15/30 anywhere?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i had a similar budget when i was looking for a gigging amp. i tend to favor amp distortion since my previous amp was a marshall jcm900 50w head with a 4x12 1960A cab and i loved it(was on loan and owner needed it back)

i replaced the Marshall with a Peavey Valveking 100w head and a lopoline 2x12 cab. all told i spent $440 US for the set up including cables and a diy footswitch i made. i'm happy with the valveking and my biggest complaint is it is too high of a wattage. it is very versatile with the "3 channel" its really 2 channel with a boost on the overdrive channel. i wish the reverb was footswitchable. i like how you can switch the output impedence between 4-8-16 ohms. it is plenty loud, the cleans are great with my strat and the distortion is good with my LP but i dont really care for the clean with the humbuckers.