There are various radious fretboards, some are flat and some are quite round. Jackson makes compound radious fretboard. So how does the different radious affects the playing? What kind of radious is good for what sort of playing?

My guitar has 17" radious which is quite flat. It feels good to me for soloing. I found lower radious fretboard to be hard to play leads....
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
A narrower radius just makes fretting more comfortable as the fingerboard's curvature fits the contours of your fingertips better. There isn't really any set rule or the 'correct' radius, as it is all preference. But a disadvantage a narrower radius has is that bent notes can fret out, particularly on higher frets. That's why a lot of shred guitars have wider radii as a lot of lead players want a flatter fingerboard to combat the fretting out problem.

A compound radius (that Jackson and Charvel uses) gives you the best of both worlds as the fingerboard is comfortable for rythm and higher up the neck is flatter, so it doesn't have the fret out problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 18, 2011,
Quote by metalter

My guitar has 17" radious which is quite flat. It feels good to me for soloing. I found lower radious fretboard to be hard to play leads....

yeah that's pretty much it.

obviously personal preference plays a big part too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fretboard of the Musicman JPM seems pretty round.... should be hard soloing on that right??
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by metalter
fretboard of the Musicman JPM seems pretty round.... should be hard soloing on that right??

People can solo on vintage guitars with radii that are sometimes less than 9"... The Music Man JP has a 15" radius, so it's fairly flat and trust me it plays like butter.

If you're doubting the flatness of a 15" radius fretboard, the new JPXI has a 20" radius.
The EBMM JP has a 15" radius as Pac_man said, but that doesn't make it hard for soloing.

The fretboard radius affects bends more than anything else, with a lower radius (more curvature), you need to have the action higher to do large bends, otherwise it will fret out. Flatter radii let you have very low action and still be able to bend without fretting out.

Personally I don't find smaller radiuses any more comfortable, like some people may say they are.
thanks, a different point now.... what about the thickness of the JP6 and JPXI neck? I use a RG1570 which has 18mm thickness at 1st fret and 20mm at 12th fret.. what about the JP6 and JPXI? I did not find it on their website... How does the neck feels comparing to an Ibanez Prestige Wizard neck?
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
Last edited by metalter at May 19, 2011,
I've only got a JP7 so I can't compare the feel, but the necks are a little thicker than a Wizard (in a good way, they have a much more comfortable profile)
Chords tend to be more easy to play on a lower radius, shredding easier on a higher radius. Obviously it's down to preference.

Typically, the lower radiuses will have a narrower fingerboard and a rounder neck, while the higher ones will have a wider fingerboard and flatter neck. This means that the strings are farther apart on a larger radius, making it easier to play leads.
^ yeah, pretty much.

Quote by littlephil

Personally I don't find smaller radiuses any more comfortable, like some people may say they are.

me neither. if anything i find it harder to play barre chords and the like on curved radii than flatter...

like most things it's personal preference.

oh and 15" is near-as-makes-no-difference flat.

it's 10" or less where it starts to get a bit curved.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by littlephil
I've only got a JP7 so I can't compare the feel, but the necks are a little thicker than a Wizard (in a good way, they have a much more comfortable profile)

Yeah the Music Man JP models have slightly thicker and rounder necks than the typical Ibanez Wizard neck.

The old Ibanez JPMs had a neck profile that was nearly identical to the Ultra Prestige- 1mm or so thicker and a bit rounder than the Prestige Wizard is. I think John has used neck profiles like that on all of his signature guitars.
I haven't played an Ultra neck, but my JPM neck was quite a bit thicker than a Wizard. It had a soft V profile too, very different from the MusicMan JP neck, thicker and rounder.

If I had to compare it to anything, the JPM neck was quite similar to a MusicMan Luke neck, with a less prominent V.

That said, my JPM was a P4, and I played a P1 that had a different neck profile, it was more of an even C than a V, but still thicker and not as flat as a Wizard.
radius is just a subjective thing.

i think you need slightly higher action on a smaller radius if you want to do heavy string bends otherwise they'll fret out easier. other than that i don't really find the radius has much of an impact on how i play.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.