I'm building my first pedal and on the PCB, some of the capacitor through-holes have a square or a circle. I think these designate positive or negative, but which is which? Here's an example from what I'm building:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_b69.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Check C1 on the top left corner; I thought the square was positive, but the positive sign is on the circle... do capacitors fit positive with positive and negative with negative, or positive with negative and negative with positive (like a battery would)? Sorry if this sounds confusing =/

THANKS =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
circles are positive, as the diagram shows

I'm not sure what you mean by batteries being connected + to - and - to + though. + on a battery is still +...

but yeah, electrolytic caps are polarized and need to go a certain way around
Sorry the battery thing was just an example... you can ignore it because it was probably more confusing than helpful.

What I was trying to say was in regards to the polarity of the capacitor. For example:

IGNORE THE x's; they're space fillers because the auto-format screws things up

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ capacitor ]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxxx|
xxxxxx(+) lead xx|xxxxxxx|xx(-) lead
PCB (holes)===[+]====[-]=========

OR

xxxxxxxxxxxxx [ capacitor ]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | xxxxx|
xxxxxxx (-) lead x | xxxxx| x (+) lead
PCB (holes)====[+]===[-]=========
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
oh ok... thanks a bunch! hopefully i get to finish this tonight after work =)
will do! thanks!