ok. so i have an LTD ec-400vf that i bought a while ago. it was an impulse buy for when i didn't play as much metal. i like the guitar but i kinda have no use for it. it has a JB/59 pickup set which is nice but they just don't have the metal punch like my other EMG equipped guitars obviously do. it also might need a fret dress. which should only cost 60 bucks at my local tech shop.

BUUUUTT........

im in the market for another more metal oriented guitar preferably a seven string.
im just not too sure what to do.

would you guys fix the frets and drop a new bridge pickup in it and hope that you like it again or would you sell it outright and get a new guitar?

i have two other mild output guitars so if i were to turn this into a more metal oriented guitar it wouldn't bother me

thanks for the opinions
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
anyone?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I would say to you that if you can't get a metal tone out of a guitar with the same pickup set that Michael Amott used until he moved to Dean you're probably doing something wrong.

That being said, if you don't like the guitar then you don't like it.

As an ambassador for The Legion: get a 7 string. They are awesome.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Flog it and put the money in the 7 string pot.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ he's correct.

I'd just like to add that if you don't like a guitar that you own, assuming that it's a perfectly good guitar, which the EC-400VF is, you might be falling out of love with guitar. You should sell your guitar and get a new one to re-energize you. That's what I'd do.

And by the way, only get a 7 string if you range all over the fretboard on your 6 string guitars.
its a tough decision.

i used it at practice the other day and while it sustained like no other it just didn't have the clarity or punch that my guitars with emgs (yeah i know passive vs active) have. i don't want actives in all my guitars either. i was considering dropping a dimarzio detonator in the bridge but im not sure about that.

this guitar gets a phenomenal alice in chains type tone to it which i love and i know that my amp needs new power tubes soon but i figured id see what you guys say.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board