Hello pit

I was wondering when you hold your guitar in a normal standing position gravity pulls on your strings. Now if were are to hold the body vertically that is holding the body parallel to the floor gravity pulls down on the strings but it doesnt pull on the strings in the direction strings vibrate. So this should result in increased sustain?
I was only wondering if the logic in this is sound.
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay

Sound logic.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You'd have to test that scientifically. Of course, the strings are pulled so tight that any difference would be negligible.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
The last space shuttle mission is coming up, send them a well written proposal, maybe they'll bring a guitar with them. Imagine the sustain in the virtually gravity free vastness of the oblivion!!!

The force of gravity will be the same on the strings and there wont be an increase in sustain.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I believe the string tension is too great for gravity.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Jackal58

Sound logic.

I don't know, this might not be sustainable...
poop
Quote by Woffelz
I believe the string tension is too great for gravity.

So what you're saying is if I wind you up tight enough you'll float away?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It would 'increase' the sustain by about as much as it would if you held the guitar facing upwards. Or in virtually any other way.

The thing is, you tend to strike strings 'downward' or 'upward' with the ground being your point of reference, so gravity is always pulling at the strings in the same direction as you are striking them.

The only scenario in which this doesn't apply would be if you're holding your guitar vertically, because then you strike the strings with a left-to-right and right-to-left motion instead of up and down.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
only if you put your new amp facing into the ground so gravity will affect the amplified sound
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Although we think of gravity as being a powerful force because it hurts when we fall down, it's actually very weak.
Carl Sagan observed that you could counteract the gravitational force acting on your body from the entire solar system...Just by sitting down. Moving that tiny bit closer to the center of the Earth will effectively counter the effect from all other bodies in the Solar System.

Although there might be some theoretical effect, it would be far too tiny to be measured.
If you hang your amp from the ceiling facing the ground you'll get louder because gravity will pull the sound out the speaker, right?
Yes, BUT the affect of gravity on the vibration of the strings is negligible. By this I mean there is no point about worrying about this.

It's like the idea that gravity is affecting me more at my feet than at my head. It actually is, but the difference is so tiny, it doesn't matter.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK