Hi there, my current gear is a vox vt40+ and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I play mostly blues, blues rock, Incubus and Red hot chili peppers. I would love a strat for certain types of music but I would also love a tube amp. A les paul is great for a lot of blues/blues rock stuff, as well as the more modern incubus type music. A strat would be great for like SRV, buddy guy type blues and for RHCP esque music.

What do you think would be of more value? as I can only afford one (right now anyway).

If you think amp, could you be so kind as to suggest one. It is for home use, genres above, budget around £400. reverb is great.

Thanks.
Last edited by BF LP 7 at May 18, 2011,
personally i'd get a new guitar, i have a VT50 and it's a pretty decent amp, not amazing but not crap. and the VT40+ is the newer model.

so yeh, i'd get a strat. whichever is up to you depending on budget.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you like to play your current guitar, go for a AMP

Since a AMP is 80% of ur sound
I would invest in a new amp. Amps are very crucial to your tone more so than a guitar. Unfortunately i'm not very familiar with amps in the type of music you play.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
If you're not performing or in a band i'd go for the guitar. The VOX will do great for home use. According to the VOX site the VT series also have a 12 AX7 tube in it aswell so you already have a tube amp right there. :P

Also if you're getting a tube amp you'll have to crank it up or else the tubes can't get warm enough to produce a nice tone.

Sooo i'd go for the guitar if I were in your shoes.
Vision is the art of seeing things invisible to others.
Quote by Eddeh
If you're not performing or in a band i'd go for the guitar. The VOX will do great for home use. According to the VOX site the VT series also have a 12 AX7 tube in it aswell so you already have a tube amp right there. :P

close, it's a modelling amp so isn't 100% tube nor is it 100% SS

it's a 60/40 split of tube/SS

Quote by Eddeh
Also if you're getting a tube amp you'll have to crank it up or else the tubes can't get warm enough to produce a nice tone.

again, close. modelling amps sound like a tube amp with the obvious difference that you don't have to crank it to get the best from the tube(s)

but i agree with this man, guitar is the way forward. besides even if you did gig, mmost places use a PA and boom mic to amplify your amp more so a VT40+ is good enough.
You can always get an HSS Strat and then slap a DiMarzio super distortion into it and it would still cost a lot less than a new Gibson Les Paul. Gibsons are totally overpriced, especially as the quality control is rather suspect for the price, and their headstocks have a history of breaking easily. In fact, pricewise, you would probably be better off buying one of the $699-799 Epiphone Les Pauls and then modifying it.

On the amp question, look at the ENGL Screamer of Thunder series. Really ballsy for the price, they are tube amps and the cleans are more than workable.
Quote by CrawlingHorror
You can always get an HSS Strat and then slap a DiMarzio super distortion into it and it would still cost a lot less than a new Gibson Les Paul. Gibsons are totally overpriced, especially as the quality control is rather suspect for the price, and their headstocks have a history of breaking easily. In fact, pricewise, you would probably be better off buying one of the $699-799 Epiphone Les Pauls and then modifying it.

dude, he's ALREADY GOT a les paul... the first 16 words of your post were probably the most helpful.

again, don't mean to be a d!ck but

Quote by CrawlingHorror
On the amp question, look at the ENGL Screamer of Thunder series. Really ballsy for the price, they are tube amps and the cleans are more than workable.

the VT40+ probably has much better clean settings... especially as he's mostly playing blues he's after pretty good cleans.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at May 18, 2011,
if the Gibby is the only guitar you own, i would say strat because if you gig at all, no matter what, you should have a second guitar for backup, sh*t happens, its always good to be prepared.

if you already have two guitars i say amp. and the valvetronix is nothing near tube sound like some of you are saying. it is digital, i believe somebody spec'd it out and there wasn't even enough current ran through the tube to function as a regular 12ax7 would.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Amp.
You can always put some tapped humbuckers in your LP so you can run them as single coil if you want it to sound more stratty. Won't get you all the way there but probably enough to keep you happy for quite some time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
used Fender blackface reissue.

can probly ebay one for about £500 and you'll never look back. then get a new guitar.

also depending on how your finances/life some stores in the UK offer various interest free financing deals.

as things stand I'm paying interest free monthly repayments on a Gibson LP and have up to a max of 12 months to pay the price of my USA deluxe tele (i have one year to pay the price either in full or bits, if I exceed a year stupid interest rates, no deposit).

it might be worth doing something like using the money you have to buy a used amp and then buy a guitar new on finance. You have both at once but defer payment.

I only recommend this if you're currently liquid or are definitely going to be starting a well paid job or something like that. Don't get carried away.
Last edited by Duv at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Amp.
You can always put some tapped humbuckers in your LP so you can run them as single coil if you want it to sound more stratty. Won't get you all the way there but probably enough to keep you happy for quite some time.

You mean coil split right Cath?

Personally I prefer to install a push-pull for a series/parallel wiring. The twang from a parallel-wired humbucker sounds more single coil than a coil split IMO.

The answer to this question depends on a factors IMO.

1. How happy are you with your current gear?
2. How much have you got to blow on new gear?
3. Why are you getting new gear?

If you're getting gear for the sake of buying gear and you're happy, I'd adobes you to save your money for even better gear. Particularly so if you've not got too much money saved up.

If you're not very happy with your tone or guitar can you trade and top-up for an alternative guitar or amp instead?

Honestly, based on the tone of your post, it feels like you're not too sure what you want. If I were you, I'd save the money until you find something you REALLY REALLY want instead of buying stopgaps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
You mean coil split right Cath?

Personally I prefer to install a push-pull for a series/parallel wiring. The twang from a parallel-wired humbucker sounds more single coil than a coil split IMO.
Yeah. On one of my guitars I have a 3 way DPDT on-on-on switch so I can go between series/parallel/split. It has a full strat style scratchguard so mounting a mini toggle is a doddle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Amp.

still wont sound like a strat though

having said that i do still suggest getting an nice amp
Save your money, £400 won't get you all that far.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks for all the great advice. To clarify a few things.

My budget for an amp for home use would be £400. For guitar would be £650 ish.
My Gibson is my only electric guitar (except my first cheap squier guitar)
I am not totally happy with tone (maybe get new amp and more bluesy pickups like gibson classic 57 cos my pickups are quite modern sounding). I don't like the vox's built in effects and overdrive (would prefer tube amp with good cleans for pedals or good bluesy drive in it).
The amp would need to be quiet for bedroom level (preferably with headphone input for late night jams)

Thanks again.
Last edited by BF LP 7 at May 19, 2011,
Well, you'd cover the wider range of whatever you're playing if you got a Strat and kept your Les Paul. You'd have an overall better tone if you bought a new amp. I recommend saving up more if you go the new amp route.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Only you can decide. If you want a strat sound then you need to buy a strat. Just sayinig you want a tube amp upgrade doesn't speak to anything specific about your needs.
I would stick with the Les Paul if I were you, and look for a Fender Blues Jr amp. They're pretty affordable, and will give you the exact tone you're looking for. Not sure about the headphones though.....
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by BF LP 7
Thanks for all the great advice. To clarify a few things.

My budget for an amp for home use would be £400. For guitar would be £650 ish.
My Gibson is my only electric guitar (except my first cheap squier guitar)
I am not totally happy with tone (maybe get new amp and more bluesy pickups like gibson classic 57 cos my pickups are quite modern sounding). I don't like the vox's built in effects and overdrive (would prefer tube amp with good cleans for pedals or good bluesy drive in it).
The amp would need to be quiet for bedroom level (preferably with headphone input for late night jams)

Thanks again.

if you are gigging or actually be gigging soon, i would still say guitar. i would never gig without a backup. sure, the amp may get you a little better tonally but if you are gigging, you need a backup. is your squier good enough for that backup, probably, but i really don't know, only you know that.

if you are not gigging/wont be gigging soon, go for the amp, a blues jr. would be great, or some form of marshall 18w clone, i know there are a few companies that sell 18w clones on your side of the pond, the 18w i built is one of my favorite amps (not necessarily suggest you build your own, but it could be an option). it will get you a lot better tonally. but just as an fyi, i have never heard a decent sounding tube amp out there with a headphone out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Why the difference in price for a guitar and amp?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
The Vt40+ is a great amp. I tried it and the cleans and overdrive are amazing. The higher gain sounds have also improved from the older VT20s. If u're not getting a good tone, mess with the eq more.

I suggest getting a new guitar. Get a Fender road worn player strat if u can. If not, a Standard strat is good.

If u really want a new amp, a Laney Vc15 and a Ibanez Ts9 will do u good.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt