I play primarily metalcore music (As I Lay Dying, BFMV etc.) and my cousin gave me his 6 month old Fender Road Worn 50s Tele (he was selling it for a modest price). I want to replace the bridge pickup (which is a single coil, Tex-Mex) to a high-output pickup suitable for metal so I can actually play this guitar he gave me, but I realize the bridge pickup slot is specific for single coil only.

Do you know any single coil pickups, or humbuckers that could fit in single coil slots, that are suitable enough to play primarily metalcore?
Ibanez IJX121
I'm not so sure about single coils... I heard that EMG single coils were nice and so were the Duncan ones, but honestly your better off getting a guitar that can fit a humbucker in the bridge. It's way better for metalcore.
There are many, many, many kinds of single-coil sized humbuckers.

Here's just a general lot of them. Do some searching.

EDIT: Did not notice you saying it was a Tele. That changes things.

Here you go. Note: Not all of these are humbuckers. You're going to have less luck looking for Tele pups that do what you want.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at May 18, 2011,
DiMarzio has some single-sized humbuckers, my ex had a Fast Track 2 in her MiM Strat's bridge and it sounded great for older-school metal like Metallica and the like(there was a huge difference between that and the stock pickup, even through her Vypyr 15), it's specced pretty much the same as a Super Distortion, and Yngwie Malmsteen used the HS-4 for 90% of his career(he has a signature Duncan now, I think it came out 3 years or so ago). Duncan makes the Rails series too, but I've never played anything with them. For that matter, you could just buy a HSS pickguard if you don't mind spending an extra $20.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
arent the mexican ones routed hsh?

EDIT: oh its a tele.

One of the Dimarzio ones would be awesome

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Enix165
DiMarzio has some single-sized humbuckers, my ex had a Fast Track 2 in her MiM Strat's bridge and it sounded great for older-school metal like Metallica and the like(there was a huge difference between that and the stock pickup, even through her Vypyr 15), it's specced pretty much the same as a Super Distortion, and Yngwie Malmsteen used the HS-4 for 90% of his career(he has a signature Duncan now, I think it came out 3 years or so ago). Duncan makes the Rails series too, but I've never played anything with them. For that matter, you could just buy a HSS pickguard if you don't mind spending an extra $20.

Now that I think of it, the Fast Track 2 seems like my best bet. Thanks!
Ibanez IJX121
Quote by PunkGuitaristx
Now that I think of it, the Fast Track 2 seems like my best bet. Thanks!

Tele pickups are not the same as standard single coils. This is very important to remember. They will not fit.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I think they Chopper T would be better, its a ballsier Fast Track.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've heard guys in punk bands using the Duncan YJM pickups and it sounded sick. I realize that isn't the same genre you play, but punk and most forms of metal utilize a relatively similar tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Duncan hot rails is probably the favorite
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had a Duncan JB jr modified by my tech to fit my telle, the end result was my tele sounded like a brite LP. It had a lot of good lows but it could cut through super eazy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
bareknuckle piledriver.

if you need a stacked single or a tele sized humbucker

anderson tm3.