Just looking for a little advice, i recently bought a second hand Marshall JCM2000 DSL, which has great tone, but it has an annoying problem... It hums like a BITCH! When i us a guitar with humbuckers, it is slight and not too bad, but using my Strat it is UNBEARABLE! Any ideas how to reduce the hum?
Current Gear...

Fender Mexican Stratocaster

Les Paul Copy w/ Seymour Duncan 59 an JB in bridge and neck respectively (She's a beauty!)

Marshall JCM2000 DSL

Jim dunlop crybaby

Electroharmonix Double Muff
Chances are, if your Strat has single coils, this is what's causing the hum. Single coil pickups are notorious for picking up RFI and EMI, which are Radio Frequency Interference and Electromotive Interference. These are caused by the wiring in your home, flourescent lights, motors and the like. Changing your playing position and even changing the position of the amp can help. Also, make sure you use decent quality cables. You don't need to use ultra expensive boutique cables, just something of decent build quality.
mxr smart gate sounds like what you need

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Before doing ANYTHING I would try shielding the inside of your guitar. As a previous poster stated single coils are notorious for picking up interference which could be causing hum. The best way to reduce this is to shield the guitars cavities. Its cheaper than buying a noise gate. Also roll the gain down a bit and see if it goes away. Then finally buy a noise gate if you need to.
i am going to disagree with those that said use a noise gate. they are definately right about single coils. noise is just wat ur gonna get wenever u use single coils. noise gates arent for everyone. alot of people i know don't like them because of the way they work. i play mostly metalcore and i'm fine with them. i would suggest this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdtS_SNqvY
ISP Decimator. Use a noise gate.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Have you checked the tubes for microphonicity?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.