I got a Peavey classic style 1x12 extension cab for $30 the guy had modified with a 8 ohm Mesa Boogie/ Celestion black shadow 90 watt speaker. I realize now that I cannot run this speaker I need a 16 ohm one. I am putting the speaker up for trade on craigslist, What kind of speakers should I keep my eye out for? I play garage rock, and pop, but I also play metal occasionally, not enough to warrant a major change.
I personally like V30's from Celestion. I also enjoy Eminence Red Coat The Wizard. G12T75s are nice. To be honest man it depends on the amp you are running into it. Any brand name speaker is going to sound GOOD it is just a matter of finding the one that sounds the BEST based on your amp. Do some searching on the web. I am sure there are comments people have made about using different speakers with your amp that could be helpful.
i am partial to K100's (or better yet my English K85's)

V30's are nice for some amps, but they are the most overrated speaker in the history of guitar.

T75's are a little buzzy, i wouldn't go for them, although i do have a quad myself, again mine are English though, so that makes them better.

one of my favorite speakers, although its only 20 watts, is Celestion's EVH sig speaker, its like a greenback but better IMO

then there is the Greenback, which are just awesome, and i am trying to trade some V30's i have for GB's atm on CL.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am partial to K100's (or better yet my English K85's)

V30's are nice for some amps, but they are the most overrated speaker in the history of guitar.

T75's are a little buzzy, i wouldn't go for them, although i do have a quad myself, again mine are English though, so that makes them better.

one of my favorite speakers, although its only 20 watts, is Celestion's EVH sig speaker, its like a greenback but better IMO

then there is the Greenback, which are just awesome, and i am trying to trade some V30's i have for GB's atm on CL.

Pretty much this but 60s/70s G12Ms kick the shit out of modern ones. As do the Scumback clones. K100s are awesome if your amp sounds a bit small.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ Nothing tops a mid-late 60s 20W Greenie.

Nothing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Meh. I like the H magnets better than the Ms. If I didn't feel like I'd miss my Blackbacks too much I'd probably flip them and buy another pair of Scums.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have a classic thirty combo with an eminence private jack and tube tamers, it seems fine, my only gripes a slight tube rattle on lowish volumes, and a lack of bass response. I have to take the thing apart to fix a reverb and boost switch problem, I planned on making this a head and cab when I did it, but with this cheap cap coming to me, I think I'll leave it as is and use the closed back cab to aid in my bass boosting along with some mods I plan to try.
Last edited by askrere at May 19, 2011,
A guy is offering to trade my speaker for a celestion gt12-75 16 ohms how is that?