Hey guys, I figured out that I pick notes before I completely sound a note. I have also noticed that my picking hand can keep speed. It's my fretting hand that I need help with. Ex- I'm playing with a metronome, and on every beat, I pick a note. My picking hand is right where it needs to be, but my fretting hand is a little slower. I was wondering if you all could please inform me on how to correct this. I have tried mostly everything it seems, and I still can't figure anything out. Thanks.
Well... for starters you could try to only concentrate on you're fretting hand while practicing (with your metronome). Or play slower, like one note per beat - you should be able to get that synched.

What is it you're trying to learn? Or isn't there anything specific? ^^
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
Slow down.

Whatever you're trying to learn, start slow. Then slowly build up speed (a couple bpm at a time). Don't speed up till you can play the part perfectly a few times.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
If it seems like one of your hands is "slowing you down" just drop your speed and adjust to the level of the "lesser hand". It's all about coordination: with a few exceptions, there's no such thing as "good exercises for just one hand" -> if you were to practice, say alternate picking with your right hand while fapping with the left (not that I've ever done anything like that, I think) you'd be a fool to assume that, once you've gotten pretty good with your right picking hand, you're gonna be able to play ANYTHING interesting at that speed. That's because your brain hasn't learned how to sync those right hand movements with the fretting of notes that's being done by your left hand

It works the other way around too

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 18, 2011,
slow down and just keep playing

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
it isn't anything specific, it's pretty much anything I play.

And it's pretty much like this. my fingers take too much time to press down a note. like my pick will hit the string every beat with the metronome, but my fingers get there just a tad too late. If that makes sense.
Quote by Danielghero
it isn't anything specific, it's pretty much anything I play.

And it's pretty much like this. my fingers take too much time to press down a note. like my pick will hit the string every beat with the metronome, but my fingers get there just a tad too late. If that makes sense.

Once again, just slow down! Find a speed till you can get both hands perfectly synced. Then speed up.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Slow down. You know the saying you are only as strong as your weakest link? Same thing applies here. The fact that you can pick faster with your picking hand means nothing (for general guitar playing) if you can't sync with your fretting hand.
My way of syncing hands, which are now vitally used as warm ups, is through finger permutations of chromatic exercises (1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 or 1-3-2-4-1-3-2-4). Just practice fretting and picking this way and, as everyone else says, start slow and use a metronome! Aim for both hands on the beat.
We're all alright!
I guess some of you guys aren't really getting what i'm saying. No matter what I play, fast or slow, my fretting hand is still behind. My fretting hand needs to press down the note faster on everything I play.

Does this make more sense?
Quote by Danielghero
I guess some of you guys aren't really getting what i'm saying. No matter what I play, fast or slow, my fretting hand is still behind. My fretting hand needs to press down the note faster on everything I play.

Then it's either not slow enough, or you aren't trying hard enough. This is entirely (!) a matter of practice.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Danielghero

Then you're not slowing it down enough. Why don't you try fretting the note first, then pick it after?
A question about the video

So your supposed to just straight end the note your playing before the next one?

This is what I'm talking about. When I do that, it sounds choppy like 4:45 in the video. I'm trying to make my playing smooth.
Well, you were asking originally about starting notes, not ending them. You want to pick and fret the note at exactly the same time.

After that, you just release the note with the left hand as soon as you want. You can train yourself to play "smoothly" by holding the notes right up until you play the next one, it's up to you.
Yea I was at first asking about starting notes, that's when I realized it could also be the ending of the last note that contributes to something messing up on the next note. Do release the note before you play another one right? And I've also noticed that the sound that I'm hearing is the same sound you hear when picking a note that is already vibrating. Like picking a note twice before releasing it.
You can release the note before starting another or not, it's up to you, it sounds different each way. If you sound choppy you probably want to train yourself to hold each note longer.

And basically, if your hands aren't in synch, there's no point discussing your initial attack, you're probably both early sometimes and late sometimes with either hand, and both have different unpleasant sounds.