Hey, so I'm a young beginning guitarist and I currently have a steel stringed guitar. I am very petite and have small delicate fingers so it has been hurting my fingers a lot. I have been trying to find a guitar that's right for me, but I don't know very much about guitars. I am thinking I am going to buy this cheap one that's around $40 just because I don't want to buy anything expensive when I am just starting it it seems very good.

can you check it out and tell me if it looks good or if you think its worth trying?

http://www.amazon.com/BURST-Classical-Acoustic-Guitar-MODEL/dp/B001MXC85O/ref=lh_ni_t
thank you for any help
Last edited by Laura.J.M at May 18, 2011,
you probably should get something better, for $40 I would expect it's going to explode in a few weeks then you'll be out 40 bucks and need a new guitar...

edit - get the cheapest yamaha, you'll be better off
Last edited by mizxou at May 18, 2011,
your fingers will stop hurting after a while, id consider spending a little extra and getting a guitar that wont be quite so bad.
get a setup or use extra light strings if your fingers hurt. most likely buying this guitar will simply be throwing your money away.

btw, what kind of guitar are you currently playing?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Try a set of Martin Silk & Steel strings. My sister had the same problems as you, and the Silk & Steels helped Alot.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
It will take a week or two to develope callouses (tougher skin) on your fingertips. Every starting guitarist goes through it.

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find, those guitars are trash and will more likely turn you away from guitars. Yamaha makes good quality acoustics for beginners, that's why I have 2 of their guitars.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
It will take a week or two to develope callouses (tougher skin) on your fingertips. Every starting guitarist goes through it.

Don't buy the cheapest one you can find, those guitars are trash and will more likely turn you away from guitars. Yamaha makes good quality acoustics for beginners, that's why I have 2 of their guitars.

I'm not a total beginner. I have played for a year with the same guitar and it still hurts like crazy.
Quote by Laura.J.M
I'm not a total beginner. I have played for a year with the same guitar and it still hurts like crazy.

Ok, that doesn't sound good.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
If it has been a year, then it is time for new strings. I would get a set of coated strings put on and have it set up at a local music store. As said before check out silk & steel strings, D'Addario coated strings, or elixirs. I have never tried them, but i hear cleartone strings are nice.

Also, let's be honest, you have played for a year, but how often? Once a week is probably not enough to build up callouses. If you play enough, callouses will form.
i had that problem for years - i got so frustrated i all but gave up acoustic guitar for a while. two things come to mind that helped:

first, your guitar probably needs a setup. if it's really crappy, it may need to be replaced, but even low end guitars like this one http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Starter-Acoustic-Guitar-Burst/dp/B0037S2EE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1305850706&sr=1-1 can be set up. what that means most likely in your case is that the strings are too far away from the fretboard, and the nut and saddle need to be lowered. there's a chance that your truss rod will also need adjusting. if you have $40, take your guitar to a qualified luthier and have them do it for you. tell them your situation so they can help decide what gauge of strings to set your guitar up with.

second, strings. regular light strings are 12's - they tend to hurt my fingers a little even after decades of playing. try extra lights - they WILL make a difference. as RockinSince1993, you could try silk and steels. i sometimes use the wrapped strings from a set of martin silk & steels, and the unwrapped from a set of d'addario phosphor bronze extra lights.

Quote by Laura.J.M
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
If you want a cheap guitar that will be halfway decent get a Jasmine. They sound halfway decent. Get it new and have the shop set it up as part of the sale. You usually get very high action on these cheap guitars and they generally are a pile of junk.

You can do better if you've got 2-3 hundred to spend and will get a guitar with decent tone.
Hello Laura,

When i started playing guitar about 2 years ago, i got myself a Washburn D10S for $250 (inc. a hard case) from Amazon.com, at the time. I had quite a bit of trouble finding strings that were comfortable, but after a week or two i decided to just throw some medium Elixirs and "deal with it" until it got better. It took about two weeks of steady chord play, and telling myself not to quit, for my fingers to become comfortable with the strings. I'm not saying you should do what i did, but as stated before...the key is to keep going at a steady pace, and allow your fingers to get used to this new "trauma" they're subjected to.

As for a decent budget guitar, i went with the S34C NEX, from the Jasmine brand. I needed something to throw in the back of the truck and kick around outside, while still being able to make it sound half decent. I've had the same Medium Elixirs on it since i got it, and it actually does not sound bad at all, for a cheap guitar. Nowhere near as good as the Washburn, but for the $96 i spent on it, i really don't have any complaints. After reading your post, i actually put some Extra Light Elixir Polyweb strings on there, to see how it sounds, and it still sounds very acceptable, considering the price.

Sure, i agree with what many of the people here say....spending $200-300 would get you "more", but if you're looking for a cheap instrument to practice on, and you're not sure if you're going to keep it up....i understand you don't want to spend a lot. Ultimately, it's up to you...i hope my post helped.
Quote by Laura.J.M

Use lighter strings or change your setup (if your not sure how get somebody who does to help you out)

Or go to a doc, can't say it's normal to still have bad fingers after a year...if it does turn out to be a medical problem however don't put your guitar down

OT: You have been playing a year? I doubt you are going to stop anytime soon, 5 mins - 2 months is usually the time where people put it down for good.

Splash out a little, buy something nice. If it catches your eye buy it, why? It caught YOUR eye, that is the guitar YOU should buy. Treat yourself, this isn't a choice for people on UG to make.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.