Not too long ago i had made an impulse buy and bought the Line 6 Studio UX1. Now I'm selling it as I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting or the recordings . I really should have done more research on it, but its a good lesson learned.

Now I'm trying to figure out a replacement. I've looked into the Pod x3, Vox Tonelab and of course the legendary Axe-Fx . Of course the Axe-Fx probably blows them both out of the water, but there not very affordable. However a pod x3 pro is around the same price. Would it be smarter to just wait and save money up for the Axe-Fx or would the pod x3 pro be much different? I just don't want to make the same mistake twice, and want to get my moneys worth haha!
Thanks!
Last edited by Arcadiagrooves at May 18, 2011,
Save up and get the Axe-FX. You wont regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Save up for the Axe-FX. It just simply is good.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

No question, get the Axe-FX. There's a reason Steve Vai and J.P. use it as their main processors now
NOPE
HEY GUYS! LETS ALL BUY AXE FX!

God, do you people do any research into your products? I doubt any of you 3 have used Axe FX. Honestly, you can do better with the UX1 and free amp sims (hell, I get better results out of Pod Farm). Buy Axe FX when you get to a level where you know you're going to get use out of it, not for just amateur recordings.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If you couldn't get POD Farm to sound decent, you're probably going to get frustrated tweaking the Axe Fx. Anyway, I'd guess the POD X3 Pro uses the same or similar modeling to POD Farm so you'd basically just be buying a rack version. I have no experience with the tonelab, but it looks like a dinky footboard for live applications more so than recording.

I'd definitely try working with what you have a lot more. Upgrading to 'better' gear won't instantly make your recordings sound better. The UX1 is more than capable of professional quality recordings.
Quote by Odirunn
If you couldn't get POD Farm to sound decent, you're probably going to get frustrated tweaking the Axe Fx.

+ 100000

Some of the demos I hear of the axe fx sound like something you could do with a Pod but I've heard some incredible patches that sound just like like a real setup that no other amp modeler/Vst even comes close to. The Axe has the ability for incredible tones but you really really need to know what your doing.

Download the Axe-Edit program to get an idea of all the parameters and settings involved with dialing in a patch.
^Yup. If you talk about only recording though.. I'd probably use head+cab and then shure sm57 to a mixer and mixer to the computer which has a recording program. Don't know if that is "old school", but that's the way I'd want to do the recording.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Odirunn
If you couldn't get POD Farm to sound decent, you're probably going to get frustrated tweaking the Axe Fx. Anyway, I'd guess the POD X3 Pro uses the same or similar modeling to POD Farm so you'd basically just be buying a rack version. I have no experience with the tonelab, but it looks like a dinky footboard for live applications more so than recording.

I'd definitely try working with what you have a lot more. Upgrading to 'better' gear won't instantly make your recordings sound better. The UX1 is more than capable of professional quality recordings.

This. Just this.
Also, there is nothing that limits you to using JUST Pod Farm, there are a lot of free VST's out there that offer great tone as well; think about LePou's plugins (he did a Dual Rectifier - LeCto, ENGL Powerball - Le456 and Marshall head VST's - HyBrit I believe - as well as "LeCab", in my opinion the best free cabinet impulse loader-thingy around, as well as TSE's plugins that simulate the 5150 (X50) and some ENGL Poweramp (X30). Any of these will get you a guaranteed better tone, at least for recording purposes, than Pod Farm; there's no need to buy a $3000 Axe-FX.
Thanks guys! I might just play with it a bit more, I can seem to get a pretty good tone out of it that's not the problem but its the actual recordings. There is a lot of crackling and strange noise when I'm tracking and I can't seem to find a solution.
Quote by Arcadiagrooves
Thanks guys! I might just play with it a bit more, I can seem to get a pretty good tone out of it that's not the problem but its the actual recordings. There is a lot of crackling and strange noise when I'm tracking and I can't seem to find a solution.

Post an mp3 and some of the guys here will be able to pinpoint whats wrong