Classic Series is Mexican.

But if that guitar is what you want in a Strat, why does it matter where it's made?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
^ This. Seriously, if you want a guitar, which side of the border it comes from really doesn't matter. Unless you're a guitar racist, which, like human racism, is baseless and dumb.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Mexican. The price gives it away. You will pay minimum $1000 for a decent American made fender (except the Highway 1 series, but I never liked those and I think they are made in Mexico now anyway).

That being said - go try one at your local shop and see for yourself. Some MIM fenders are true gems once you put better tuners and pickups in them. I would never buy a guitar over eBay - you really need to feel and play it to know if it is worth you money.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Mexican I believe (could be wrong), but there really isn't anything wrong with Mexican Strats. Especially in that price range.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by jwd724
^ This. Seriously, if you want a guitar, which side of the border it comes from really doesn't matter. Unless you're a guitar racist, which, like human racism, is baseless and dumb.

It absolutely matters. The instruments made in America are of notably higher build quality and use better components. If it really didn't make a difference then everybody would be buying $500 Mexican instruments.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I think I'll look into it, but I prefer an american, it's just a traditional kind of thing, nothing racist, just my preference.
Quote by handlerb
Mexican. The price gives it away. You will pay minimum $1000 for a decent American made fender (except the Highway 1 series, but I never liked those and I think they are made in Mexico now anyway).

While yes, you are technically right about the price-giving-it-away thing, but not quite so about your other points. There are a number of American Fender Guitars that chart in well under $1k. Most notably the Fender American Special. Also, the Highway 1's are still made in California, you're thinking of the old California Series guitars that were Mexican guitars (bodies, necks, pickups and hardware) that were made in California when the Ensenada plant burned down in the late 90s.

If it really didn't make a difference then everybody would be buying $500 Mexican instruments.

Also, everybody is buying $500 Mexican Instruments.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 18, 2011,
Quote by handlerb
It absolutely matters. The instruments made in America are of notably higher build quality and use better components. If it really didn't make a difference then everybody would be buying $500 Mexican instruments.

+1
Japan is the only country that consistantly makes as good of guitars as the US, but not everyone can afford the $1000+ price tag that most US and Japan guitars hold.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by handlerb

that only applies in this instance because fender's american models are their higher end models. being made in america is not the reason why they are higher quality - it's because they are built to higher standards with the intention of being sold at higher prices. america, mexico, china? doesn't make a difference to the guitars.

the difference comes from the way most companies use less financially stable countries to manufacture cheaper guitars in large quantities, because it'd be a lot more expensive to do that in the US and they wouldn't profit from it enough to keep the business going strong.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
As it's been said, the location doesn't affect the quality of the instrument. Luthiers in China or Indonesia aren't inferior because they're in China or Indonesia

All that matters is where the higher quality instruments are crafted, and for American guitar companies like Fender and Gibson, that place happens to be America. For Ibanez, ESP, and Schecter, that place is Japan. For Godin, it's Canada. And so on.

Personally, I thought the Americans I played had a nicer feel that the MIMs I've tried. HOWEVER, the best Fender I have EVER tried, in terms of feel, was a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (yes, I know Squier isn't the same as Fender, but they're owned by them and operated upon as if they're the same), which had amazing feel and felt, and sounded, like a great guitar.

So if you're buying on eBay, your best bet is an American, because they'll be more likely to be in good shape, but it's not a guarantee.
ive only ever played one american fender (fender precisionbass) and it kicked the ass out off the lower mexican fenders...which is expected seeing how it costs twice as much

i have however tried the blacktop (a higher end mexican) and found it to be very nice...i would also look into japanese fenders (i have a japanese jag which i love)