Page 1 of 2
What guitars have great quality in this range? Any model/brand is accepted here.
For what kind of music?

LTD, Schecter and Ibanez all make a variety of very solid guitars in the price range. I prefer LTD stuff over the other two in this range, however.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
If you aren't playing metal, I think a Fender Mexican telecaster is a phenomenally versatile instrument. Also, you will notice far less difference in build quality between MIM and the American teles simply because there a fewer moving parts (no crappy trem is the big one).

If you are into metal, check out some of the entry level Ibanez guitars. Just be wary of crappy locking tremolos.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
If you're looking for a kickass guitar on a budget, I'd always recommend Agile. I'm not a fanboy for them, but they've never let me down and they are worth far more than you'll pay for them. I bought an AL-3000 les paul copy, thrown in some Duncan pickups, and I honestly love it more than 90% of the Gibsons I've played.
I recommend buying used. Just saw an ibanez sz720 go for 250. thats like a 600 axe new. if you have to buy new the schecters at that level are amazing. I mean asking a broad question like that here will get you a list of every guitar in the 500 range.

What kind of music do you play? do you want a trem or fixed bridge? and you should neve have a price in mind. there always room to save money on 1 thing and put it towards another. in terms of used? 500 can get you a sick guitar and a solid amp.
Quote by kibatsume
If you're looking for a kickass guitar on a budget, I'd always recommend Agile. I'm not a fanboy for them, but they've never let me down and they are worth far more than you'll pay for them. I bought an AL-3000 les paul copy, thrown in some Duncan pickups, and I honestly love it more than 90% of the Gibsons I've played.

This ^

I have an AL-2000 and It's nice, but the AL-3000 with SDs is awesome!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Besides buying a used guitar (which is the absolute value for money thing to do), I would vote for Hagstrom Super Swede.The quality and the sound of this guitar is just perfect (for me :P )
Blacktop Stratocaster.

More tonal variety than the Telecaster (Dual Humbuckers&Coil Tapping) plus a Synchronized Tremolo, and like a billion and a half aftermarket upgrades for later.

Plus it has that awesome angled output jack, which is the reason 99% of Strat players own a Strat. (The other 1% are just Fender fanboys).

EDIT:
I mean look at that thing!
(Invalid img)
What's not to love?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 18, 2011,
I would say a PRS in that price range is a lot of bang for your buck... but then again, I just love PRS's.
Fanboys being fanboys. I'd break it down like this:

Metal: used LTD Deluxes, used Ibanez Prestiges, used Schecter Loomis sig
Blues/Funk/Alternative/Punk: used Fender Deluxe Player's Strat, used MIM Strat, used Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (this thing is amazing). Save the rest of the money for a new amp.
Rock: Used Gibson LP Studio (It's not too hard to find one for 500), used LTD EC-1000 or EC-400VF
PRS Tremonti SE, I hate Creed/Something Bridge, but this is an amazing guitar for the price, if you can get over the name thing. Used is the best value though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got a used Jackson DKMGT for 400
Best purchase I've ever made. I highly recommend you check around Craigslist and Ebay for either a Jackson or ESP/LTD. I've yet to play an Ibanez I like...
Epiphone Dot.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
Gibson Les Paul Studio on clearance/sale. I got one brand new for $500 something and it feels like a $1000 guitar really
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS Tremonti SE, I hate Creed/Something Bridge, but this is an amazing guitar for the price, if you can get over the name thing. Used is the best value though.

Alter Bridge is an amazing band Creed is shit though.
Quote by Ultraussie
BC Rich, LTD and Ibanez.
BC Rich, LTD and Ibanez.
There you go.

Not really.... Only the used NJ Deluxe BC Rich. Anything lower than that is awful.
My vote goes to Agile. You can get an AL-3100 for under 500$, if that's your thing. I'd highly recommend them, they're amazing quality for the price, and they beat out any Gibson I've played.
What genre are you going for?

For overall bang and versatility, go on eBay and look for a used Schecter Custom series C-1, Solo, or Tempest. Basically same stats on each guitar, different body shapes. Locking tuners, coil tap, Duncan pickups, not too pointy but not too vintage either.
Quote by trueamerican
Alter Bridge is an amazing band Creed is shit though.

Didn't mean to offend you , but it is good you at least half agree with me
but isn't Alter Bridge that band that was Creed and then got the guy that sounded like Creed to sing for them in the band that sounds like Creed , but isn't Creed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Didn't mean to offend you , but it is good you at least half agree with me
but isn't Alter Bridge that band that was Creed and then got the guy that sounded like Creed to sing for them in the band that sounds like Creed , but isn't Creed

Honestly, Creed's music wasn't that bad.. sure it wasn't anything special and kind of sappy, but Scott Stapp just sucked. The new singer has a similar voice, but is far better at everything, especially writing melodies.

I'm not an Alter Bridge fan (I do love the song Blackbird), but I do think they're better. Tremonti is a very good guitarist, and he has some great tones. Always has.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Creed held Tremonti back, as vocals were the central part. In Alter Bridge, the guitar is really the focus, with vocals being a close second. Myles Kennedy is one of the best singers out there, and I think ever, with an enormous vocal range, a great voice, ridiculous guitar skills, and amazing lyrics.
come on guys I'm just having a little fun
And for the record I never said Tremonti was bad, obviously the guy rips, or PRS wouldn't have 2 sig guitars for him. But I honestly neverliked Creed, and the first few AB song that were released sounded like Creed, so it killed it for me at the start.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
come on guys I'm just having a little fun
And for the record I never said Tremonti was bad, obviously the guy rips, or PRS wouldn't have 2 sig guitars for him. But I honestly neverliked Creed, and the first few AB song that were released sounded like Creed, so it killed it for me at the start.

Listen to both of these. Then tell me that they sound like Creed and suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBoHFC4f94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhbcdbkeXY
Quote by trueamerican
Listen to both of these. Then tell me that they sound like Creed and suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBoHFC4f94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhbcdbkeXY

no they don't sound like Creed, But at the same time the music is very forgetful, for the lack of a better word. Now before you rant, the music was well writen, but was lacking for me. But then again you would probably say the same at some of my music. I think Strung Out is one of the best, most tallented bands since Led Zeplin, and the same for Protest the Hero and a few more.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS AN OPINION!

Creed was one of the better rock bands from that era, same goes for Alter Bridge today (saw them in Chicago on the 2nd ). Scott Stapp obviously isn't as wide ranged as Myles Kennedy as a singer, or as good a songwriter, but Weathered was a fantastic album, and Higher is my favorite song to play on guitar. I still miss the old Creed sound that wasn't quite there on Overcome. Mark has definitely come out of his shell as a lead guitarist, but songs like Higher, Hide, My Sacrifice, and One Last Breath had some of his best hooks.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Ghostmaker
WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS AN OPINION!

Creed was one of the better rock bands from that era, same goes for Alter Bridge today (saw them in Chicago on the 2nd ). Scott Stapp obviously isn't as talented as Myles Kennedy as a singer, or songwriter, but Weathered was a fantastic album, and Higher is my favorite song to play on guitar. As much as I love Alter Bridge, I still miss the old Creed sound that wasn't quite there on Overcome.

I have to give Creed a lot of credit for my guitar playing ability. I practiced the shit out of their music when I was 14-15. Never liked Stapp, but always enjoyed playing Tremonti's riffs. They were just fun to play!
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Um guys I think we hijacked this thread, sorry
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
no they don't sound like Creed, But at the same time the music is very forgetful, for the lack of a better word. Now before you rant, the music was well writen, but was lacking for me. But then again you would probably say the same at some of my music. I think Strung Out is one of the best, most tallented bands since Led Zeplin, and the same for Protest the Hero and a few more.

I'm not a fanboy, it's okay lol. It just annoys me when people dismiss them because of Creed.

I must admit I have no idea what forgetful means here....
anything Peavey made in the USA from 1980 to early 1990's. i just picked one up and it blew my mind. most of the time you can find a killer one for <$200 or so. i got mine for $100, i am sure many of you say that recend NGD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trueamerican
I'm not a fanboy, it's okay lol. It just annoys me when people dismiss them because of Creed.

They are not songs that I'll be hearing in my head or fealing the need to hum/sing, Even though the music was well written, it doesn't make me say WOW and want to get it on CD, or see a live show. Basicly I don't like them enough to support them $, and I'm realy not being a dick, just my own opinion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are not songs that I'll be hearing in my head or fealing the need to hum/sing, Even though the music was well written, it doesn't make me say WOW and want to get it on CD, or see a live show. Basicly I don't like them enough to support them $, and I'm realy not being a dick, just my own opinion.

Lol, you're entitled to it. I have different taste than you, and that's okay, you don't have to defend your position. As long as you acknowledge that the guitar work does require talent and AB isn't a Creed clone, then you're correct, and you can like whatever you like. Even Lady Gaga
Quote by trueamerican

It means it isn't memorable, i.e. you can listen to it and forget about it because it doesn't stick out to you as particularly good or bad, just kind of "meh."

What a hijack.
Thanks, but I'm good!! I realy don't like girls with penises.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2