Page 1 of 7
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/16/arab-protesters-israel-borders_n_862270.html

MAJDAL SHAMS, Golan Heights — Mobilized by calls on Facebook, thousands of Arab protesters marched on Israel's borders with Syria, Lebanon and Gaza on Sunday in an unprecedented wave of demonstrations, sparking clashes that left at least 15 people dead in an annual Palestinian mourning ritual marking the anniversary of Israel's birth.

In a surprising turn of events, hundreds of Palestinians and supporters poured across the Syrian frontier and staged riots, drawing Israeli accusations that Damascus, and its ally Iran, orchestrated the unrest to shift attention from an uprising back home. It was a rare incursion from the usually tightly controlled Syrian side and could upset the delicate balance between the two longtime foes.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who heads to Washington at the end of the week, said he ordered the military to act with "maximum restraint" but vowed a tough response to further provocations.

"Nobody should be mistaken. We are determined to defend our borders and sovereignty," he declared in a brief address broadcast live on Israeli TV stations.

A guy at my university was shot in the stomach. Thoughts?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Israelis and Palestinians having violent conflicts? You don't say.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Israelis and Palestinians having violent conflicts? You don't say.

The Palestinians are marching. The Israelis are shooting. It's kind of unfair to characterize the entire event as violent when it's only one side.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Don't know what to say.
End the occupation, hopefully have a 2-state solution. That's not going to happen though, at least in the foreseeable future. It's an unfortunate situation.
I have no idea, honestly. He's critical and getting surgery today. I more meant...you know...thoughts on the article? I found the "several soldiers were wounded, but not seriously" versus the "15 people killed" was interesting to note.

Also, commenting without really reading makes you look like a twat.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by TDS
The Palestinians are marching. The Israelis are shooting. It's kind of unfair to characterize the entire event as violent when it's only one side.

Ok? It's a violent conflict regardless.

Quote by due 07
He was shot in the stomach. What do you think?

He obviously was asking if TS's friend will live.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 18, 2011,
Quote by TDS

Er no.

You're obviously talking out of your ass.

Anyway, I hope no one else gets hurt.
Quote by jimmyled
Er no.

You're obviously talking out of your ass.

Anyway, I hope no one else gets hurt.
You have bias.
Quote by TDS

Lmao, you seem to not know what you're talking about. There's marching, and then there's rioting. Thousands of people rioting at a border merits a few shots. Israel's principal concern is the safety of its constituents. Thousands of pissed off Arabs from Syria rioting at the border? Shoot a few people.
Quote by trueamerican
Lmao, you seem to not know what you're talking about. There's marching, and then there's rioting. Thousands of people rioting at a border merits a few shots. Israel's principal concern is the safety of its constituents. Thousands of pissed off Arabs from Syria rioting at the border? Shoot a few people.

brb dyin of laughter
Quote by trueamerican
Lmao, you seem to not know what you're talking about.

Quote by trueamerican
Israel's principal concern is the safety of its constituents.

Eh, good thing you do know what you're talking about!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by due 07
You have bias.

It doesn't change the fact that violently rioting isn't the same as quietly marching. There's a movement attempting to start a third Intifada (and no, that's not Muslim-speak for a group of dear old ladies drinking tea and sharing stories about Israeli oppression. It's a full on guerilla war), planned for the Nakba day.

By the way, the whole idea of the Nakba is skewed and wrong. I'm not blaming the people themselves, they think they're doing the right thing, but the Muslim authorities, hiding information from the people and feeding them propaganda constantly.
This thread is gonna last about as long as certain other threads wherein the conduct of the Israeli government was brought into question, I think.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Rioting is a subjective term. Besides, you don't know what started first, the "rioting" or the shooting.

However, the more I hear about this the more it does sound like a staged event by the Syrians. Doesn't diminish the plight of the Palestinians though.

edit: here's an article with video http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/05/2011515649440342.html
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Last edited by TDS at May 18, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
This thread is gonna last about as long as certain other threads wherein the conduct of the Israeli government was brought into question, I think.

Duh. Criticizing the Israeli government is anti-Semitic

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Arabs: Give it up. The Israeli's are keeping that land, regardless of what you think and any violent actions you will take.
Quote by TDS
Rioting is a subjective term. Besides, you don't know what started first, the "rioting" or the shooting.

However, the more I hear about this the more it does sound like a staged event by the Syrians. Doesn't diminish the plight of the Palestinians though.

edit: here's an article with video http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/05/2011515649440342.html

Yeah, because Al Jazeera are a great, unbiased network.

Though this article seems pretty fair.

Israel won't simply shoot Arabs (I assume Druze weren't part of the protest, as they tend to be patriotic).
Quote by CannedBullets
The Israelis have it coming for stealing land from Palestinians.

That's a pretty inaccurate view of things...

Quote by CannedBullets
If all that Military Aid America gives to Israel was gone then the Palestinians would have a chance at reclaiming their land.

Not really. The Palestinian Authorities are prone to fight between themselves (Hamas vs. Fatah etc.).

Also, Israel doesn't use its funds to actively try and destroy Palestinians, while it is safe to assume that the Hamas would kill Israelis inconsiderately had they the option.
Last edited by jimmyled at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Lost Dog
Arabs: Give it up. The Israeli's are keeping that land, regardless of what you think and any violent actions you will take.

If all that Military Aid America gives to Israel was gone then the Palestinians would have a chance at reclaiming their land.
Quote by jimmyled
Yeah, because Al Jazeera are a great, unbiased network.

Though this article seems pretty fair.

Israel won't simply shoot Arabs (I assume Druze weren't part of the protest, as they tend to be patriotic).

You're Israeli; you would anything that doesn't show deference to your government's policies. Al Jazeera is well respected by anyone who isn't an Israeli nationalist or a batshit American conservative.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by CannedBullets

Well that shouldn't be ending any time soon. Seems like alot of people there might die in the future, and for no reason. Israel is keeping the land. Just look at the past couple wars.

EDIT:

Quote by Das_Skittles
You're Israeli; you would anything that doesn't show deference to your government's policies. Al Jazeera is well respected by anyone who isn't an Israeli nationalist or a batshit American conservative.

Yea, they might be well respected and less biased than some of the competition, but they still are biased. Every news agency is.
Last edited by Lost Dog at May 18, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles

Yes. Civilians vs. armored and armed soldiers with riot shields totally called for 15 deaths and however many injuries. That, versus "some Israeli soldiers were wounded, but nothing too serious" was totally called for.

I'm not making this into a Palestinian/Israeli conflict debate, I actually more want to know what people think of the thought that goes behind Israel's need to overdo every retaliation. There is no "punishment fits the crime" scenario here, and note that I use the word crime very liberally in this situation. You want to protect your people? Fine. When you get marched on by any armed group, be it Hezbollah or be it the ****ing A-Team, you can shoot. Shooting unarmed protestors is low. It makes you look like you are afraid, or guilty.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Yes. Civilians vs. armored and armed soldiers with riot shields totally called for 15 deaths and however many injuries. That, versus "some Israeli soldiers were wounded, but nothing too serious" was totally called for.

I'm not making this into a Palestinian/Israeli conflict debate, I actually more want to know what people think of the thought that goes behind Israel's need to overdo every retaliation. There is no "punishment fits the crime" scenario here, and note that I use the word crime very liberally in this situation. You want to protect your people? Fine. When you get marched on by any armed group, be it Hezbollah or be it the ****ing A-Team, you can shoot. Shooting unarmed protestors is low. It makes you look like you are afraid, or guilty.

Israel overdoes everything, when someone fires a rocket into Israel the Israeli Military that America has been giving aid to bombs out a Palestinian hospital full of civilians.
Quote by trueamerican

We'll place you in the second category. It's okay; not everyone can be useful for humanity.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles

Dude, Israel's government sucks. I'm not a nationalist, quite the opposite. But the fact remains that Al Jazeera is usually about as reliable as Fox News.
Quote by Firenze

Here's how I understand their overreactions: they're SURROUNDED by enemies. Any sign of weakness could destroy them. At every opportunity, they need to show their strength.

Does that justify anything? No, but it's understandable. I sympathize.
Quote by Firenze

Maybe both. But holy shit. A couple thousand protesters who don't want your country to exist from countries who have tried to wipe your country out before? I would probably do something.
Quote by jimmyled
Dude, Israel's government sucks. I'm not a nationalist, quite the opposite. But the fact remains that Al Jazeera is usually about as reliable as Fox News.

This is basically true, to be honest. When my family watches Al Jazeera it's to watch angry men yell at each other across the table.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Das_Skittles
We'll place you in the second category. It's okay; not everyone can be useful for humanity.

As much as I appreciate being labeled a "batshit conservative," it's not the least bit accurate.
Quote by jimmyled

I guess it's really sad that Al Jazeera is more reliable than any of the American news channels.

I rely on BBC and Al Jazeera for the most part, and sometimes read the Guardian and Der Spiegel if I don't feel like watching anything.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Lost Dog
Maybe both. But holy shit. A couple thousand protesters who don't want your country to exist from countries who have tried to wipe your country out before? I would probably do something.

Okay, you guys should understand something...in terms of military power, Israel is The Hulk and every Arab nation combined is like a dude with a BB gun.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Lost Dog

If everyone who was oppressed (I think that's the word) just gave up, the world would be a lot shitter than it already is. Any why should they?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Das_Skittles
I guess it's really sad that Al Jazeera is more reliable than any of the American news channels.

I rely on BBC and Al Jazeera for the most part, and sometimes read the Guardian and Der Spiegel if I don't feel like watching anything.

I read yahoo news and any other links people post on facebook and then dump a carton of salt on it I'm going through like $4,000 of salt a week.

And I don't think they're any more reliable than NBC, which is the most biased network I have EVER watched. On the whole. Removing Glenn Beck from FOX, NBC is more biased.
Quote by Firenze
Okay, you guys should understand something...in terms of military power, Israel is The Hulk and every Arab nation combined is like a dude with a BB gun.

You don't know what you're talking about....
Quote by trueamerican
I read yahoo news and any other links people post on facebook and then dump a carton of salt on it I'm going through like $4,000 of salt a week.

And I don't think they're any more reliable than NBC, which is the most biased network I have EVER watched. On the whole. Removing Glenn Beck from FOX, NBC is more biased.

NBC's nightly news isn't too awful, but MSNBC makes me want to vomit.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07