Ok so I was thinking of buying a cheap used amp and poking holes in the speaker for a fuzz kind of effect I know I have heard about it before but I don't know how reliable the source was so do you think it would work?
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
i wouldnt buy something with the sole intention of modding it and running the risk of screwing it up. with the mustang u should be able to get just about any tone u want. try googling presets for the tone ur looking for or connect it to ur computer and use the FUSE software for it. aside from that, i dont know how well it would accept pedals but the zvex fuzz box is real nice. that and pretty much any of the way huge pedals are real nice
delta blues tone = acoustic
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Swannie
delta blues tone = acoustic

R.l. Burnside, Junior Kimborough
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Get a low watt tube amp, play it wide open, they didn't have pedals, and the broken speaker was a sun records era thing. depending on your plans and stuff anything from a 1/2 - 30 watts would do the trick. 5 watts and under is generally a bedroom or live mic'd set up. 15 is a garage or live with a mic or smaller room. And 30 watts is generally for live un mic'd or mic'd in large rooms with lots of people. The thing is getting the entire amp to naturally overdrive, no fuzz pedals or any of that. You're sheraton or you're acoustic with a gfs jazz neck mounted pickup would be great for it.
Quote by Swannie
delta blues tone = acoustic+slide

modified and reiterated.

you mean chicago blues?

no need to poke holes, just get an old valco
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Link Wray slit and punctured his speakers to get distortion, but he didn't really have any other options. Your Mustang should model a vintage bassman or deluxe or some such and turn the gain/volume up.
Quote by gumbilicious

you mean chicago blues?

There's a huge difference between Chicago blues and Delta blues.
Poking a few holes may work for some fuzz but most likely the tone you're looking for is acoustic with a slide (a la Robert Johnson or Son House). Outside of that, go with the Crossroads method and clip a pignose to your belt...
An old Fender tweed amp, a bottleneck slide, cheap whiskey and hellhounds on your trail. That'll give you the classic electric Delta blues tone.

Beyond that, I would advise against mutilating your speaker. If it doesn't work, it isn't as if you can undo it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by ethan_hanus
Thank God your not gona do that to a Peavey Delta Blues, I would have to kill you if you were.

Poking holes in the speaker is prolly not the best idea. Just sayen.

I seriously thought this thread was about a Peavey Delta Blues at first. Those are some nice amps right there.

But you can poke holes in the speaker to get a fuzzier sound. Dave Davies from The Kinks slashed the speaker cone in a cheap practice amp with a razor to get the "You Really Got Me" sound. Of course, you can't ever use the amp for any other sound again, which is why it's usually done with cheap practice amps.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass