As the title says cheap-y guitar (ltd m-50 soon to buy another guitar), its currently satin black with some glossy spots (from my arm rubbing on it). the body is basswood. im just in this section asking for some things to go about sanding and repainting it. here we go=

-What kind of sand paper should i use? i was told by a buddy to use 400 grit then detail with 800 grit

- what kind of specific type of paint do i need? (im going for a snow/arctic white)

-what are my options with clear coat?

-what would be easier? a glossy or satin white?

-my dads tools are extensive...including paint guns and just about any tool you can imagine, would this be easy to do at home?

pull through for me again UG!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at May 18, 2011,
Are you wanting to strip it to bare wood and then paint from there?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

what kind of sandpaper?

to take the current finish off, 400 will take you foreever. use 80 or so to scuff up the finish you have on right now, then you can start spraying your new colour
for once you're done spraying you can start with 400, but sand even higher than 800 to get all the small scratches out

for what kind of paint, any kind of automotive paint is usually fine. are you using a spray gun or cans?

for clear, again use something automotive. you can go with poly or nitrocelluloce, but poly is much more common and easier IMO

a satin finish would be easier just because it needs less buffing. with a white finish I think gloss looks better though

there's plenty of helpful tutorials online too, if you want more indepth instructions
Quote by valennic
Are you wanting to strip it to bare wood and then paint from there?

i mean would it be "better" to go down to bare wood? what ever is faster and easier man :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by james4
what kind of sandpaper?

to take the current finish off, 400 will take you foreever. use 80 or so to scuff up the finish you have on right now, then you can start spraying your new colour
for once you're done spraying you can start with 400, but sand even higher than 800 to get all the small scratches out

for what kind of paint, any kind of automotive paint is usually fine. are you using a spray gun or cans?

for clear, again use something automotive. you can go with poly or nitrocelluloce, but poly is much more common and easier IMO

a satin finish would be easier just because it needs less buffing. with a white finish I think gloss looks better though

there's plenty of helpful tutorials online too, if you want more indepth instructions

wait so sand with 80 grit, then paint, then sand over to create the sating finish? (did i understand that right?)

and how would one go about make it glossy, or if you have any reliable links
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
mmmmmm anyone (bump)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Its faster just to rough it up and paint from there, like the guy below me up there said. Theres a tutorial in the stickies of this forum

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you start with 400 grit you'll be working for forever....as stated before..try 80 grit first..once you get all the paint of then you can go detailing...but work your way up...so...

Start with 80

Move to 120

move to 220

Move to 400

then 600

The difference between 600-800 in minimal at best....

If it has a really thick gloss finish..you might want to take a file to part of the guitar to get the sanding process started...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.