Okay so I'm looking to get a stack or half stack, but I can't afford most tube amps I really only have a $700 limit (if I can get some more overtime I might have like $750 or $800, but right now I think it will only be $700, and yeah I know it's not alot to work with ). I plan on getting a different head later, so the most perfect head doesn't matter, as long as I can get something decent.

I play mostly hard rock and grunge and a little metal (the metal isn't really often but sometimes I'll rip out a metalica style riff).

any suggestions? all help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at May 19, 2011,
There is no need for a stack... Ever. For that kind of budget you can easily get a half stack with a tube head used. Check craigslist. Marshall JCM or even some fender heads would probably be fine
a decent half stack usually costs at least $1000. better off just getting the best amp you can find for your budget (which is likely going to be a combo). If you care that much about having a halfstack, you can always buy a cab later and use the combo as your head.
700 will get you something decent if you look on the used market. I'd advise you to look into a head + 2x12" cab, instead of a 4x12". There is a difference in tone, but it's better to have a good head and a good 2x12" than a shitty head and a shitty 4x12". Your budget is limited, but it's enough to get decent stuff, so I don't understand why you'd be content buying crap that you'd want to replace soon, anyway.

What's your nearest major city? Also, any bands/artists whose tone you like especially?
well if you can't afford tube amps, you gotta ask yourself how good that amp + two cabinets is gonna be for $700...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You really dont need a head and cab. Especially not for $700 (you'll be very disappointed). You might think to yourself "But I need a a stack because _______" but you would be wrong. You might think to yourself "But surely sometimes there would be a reason to buy a 100W head and Cab" but you'd be wrong.

For $700, buy a combo. Something 30-50W will be plenty loud and if you buy a valve amp you might even get to crank it every now and then.

That being said though, I'm just about to buy a new 100W marshall head and 4x12. Because I love how wrong it is
I disagree that you can't get a good sounding HS for that budget. You can easily get a Vypyr Tube half stack for $700.

If you're not into modelers, you can also afford a Peavey Ultra/+ or a XXX, which are all good amps, especially for what you're looking to play. Those heads usually go for $300-500, and cabs are easy to find for that cheap. Not the best cabs, but cabs nonetheless.

You can even get a cheap but well built cab now, and replace speakers later, and ultimately pay less than you would have just buying a good cab. Example: I bought a Peavey 412MS for $120. Speakers usually go for like $70 a piece. At the end of the day, that will only be around $400. Where I live, you can't get a good cab for less than $400. For $500 you can usually get something like a Mesa.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You have obviously never had to move/set up a half stack before...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
You have obviously never had to move/set up a half stack before...

You've obviously never seen my profile pic. A half stack would be far easier to transport for me, regardless of how you look at it.

I can easily carry my 4x12 cab, regardless of the fact that it has casters. On the other hand, I feel like my spine is going to break whenever I pick up my 5150.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh, I was referring to TS. I probably should have specified that.

So what's the reasoning behind the combo into the 4x12?

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at May 19, 2011,
dont molest me but id recommend bugera half stack. i own the 333xl however for your needs a 6260 would suffice.
more then enough gain plus its low cost. im not sure how much it retails in the US but over here i got my half stack with the 333xl for £600 so for a 6260 it would be around £450-£500. (prices are brand new so im not sure about used in US)
Quote by guy_tebache
You really dont need a head and cab. Especially not for $700 (you'll be very disappointed). You might think to yourself "But I need a a stack because _______" but you would be wrong. You might think to yourself "But surely sometimes there would be a reason to buy a 100W head and Cab" but you'd be wrong.

For $700, buy a combo. Something 30-50W will be plenty loud and if you buy a valve amp you might even get to crank it every now and then.

That being said though, I'm just about to buy a new 100W marshall head and 4x12. Because I love how wrong it is

Please don't spend all that money on a stack. You will have bad tone. Use that money to buy a smaller amp, a 2x12 combo maybe? The tone will be far superior and you probably don't realise how loud valve amps can be.

The only time you ever need a stack OR half stack is on a stadium tour where you need to hear your guitar over the roar of 50,000 people and your bandmates' equally huge amps.

Are you gigging? Can you actually see yourself humping that much amp around? It will be hell and everyone will accuse you of overkill.

I posted this to save your tone AND you back.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Oh, I was referring to TS. I probably should have specified that.

So what's the reasoning behind the combo into the 4x12?

Im sorry. I'm on my phone, and I thought this was my own thread. Embarrassing.

As for the reasoning, there isn't really - I'm just in a transition stage. Trying to upgrade my combos to half stacks, and this is just how far I am currently. Moneys tough atm.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ahhh, understandable. No worries.

Quote by bogg808