I'm interested in the Bugera 333XL head and a gentleman near me is letting one go with the footswitch on CL for 350 USD. I spoke with him through email conversations and it's from September of 2008, is in great shape, has never had problems, and has recently had the tubes replaced so I'm not worried about the tubes going any time soon.

What I AM worried about though is Bugera's reliability... I've heard many things online and even a friend of mine had trouble with one of his Bugera heads, so I'm rather concerned and I don't know if it's worth it to take the risk and be stuck with a busted head. That said, I love the sound of this amp and, if I could bring myself to trust the quality, would be happy as hell to own it. These are my only concerns...

Should I trust the quality?
Is it worth it for 350 bucks?
It will be my first tube amp, so what do I need to know before I take the plunge?
Also, not really as important and just looking for recommendations, but what cabinets (preferably 2x12) are good without going nuts price wise?

Thanks a ton!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Bugera's quality was never as bad as people said, and it's gotten a lot better, but the improvement was well after this amp was made. I wouldn't like to gig with it without checking whether there are sensitive components next to the tube sockets, but it's not going to burst into flames, and if it's lasted since 2008, it's almost certainly going to keep lasting. Hell, if it does die I'll fix it for $50+shipping!
Also, and realize please that this is just meaningless anecdotal evidence, one of the best bands for tone in my area (I had to specify the tone thing because they're really not very good at anything else) uses three Bugeras--a 1960 for rhythm guitar, a 1990 for lead, and a modded 1960 for bass--and they've never had a failure.

Speakerwise, I recommend you buy some plywood and your favorite pair of used speakers and build the cab yourself. It's usually much cheaper that way. If you wanted, say, an Eminence Screaming Eagle paired with a Warehouse Veteran 30 in a pine cab it would cost like $120, as opposed to $200 for a bottom-of-the-line Bugera with inferior speakers.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Bugera's quality was never as bad as people said, and it's gotten a lot better, but the improvement was well after this amp was made. I wouldn't like to gig with it without checking whether there are sensitive components next to the tube sockets, but it's not going to burst into flames, and if it's lasted since 2008, it's almost certainly going to keep lasting. Hell, if it does die I'll fix it for $50+shipping!
Also, and realize please that this is just meaningless anecdotal evidence, one of the best bands for tone in my area (I had to specify the tone thing because they're really not very good at anything else) uses three Bugeras--a 1960 for rhythm guitar, a 1990 for lead, and a modded 1960 for bass--and they've never had a failure.

Speakerwise, I recommend you buy some plywood and your favorite pair of used speakers and build the cab yourself. It's usually much cheaper that way. If you wanted, say, an Eminence Screaming Eagle paired with a Warehouse Veteran 30 in a pine cab it would cost like $120, as opposed to $200 for a bottom-of-the-line Bugera with inferior speakers.

I kinda assumed that if it made it fine with no problems from 2008, it shouldn't just bust (plus the guy who I'm looking at buying it from actually recorded with it and occasionally gigged with it so it's not like it hasn't been pushed ever). I heard that if they don't show up DOA or break within the first 2 weeks, they usually don't end up giving you trouble at all. I always assumed it was just the whole "only those who have problems post about it" so it's all you hear about. Either way, I'm going to be trying it when/if I strike a deal with this dude so I won't really worry. Also, he's being a good fellow and told me that if it pulls any funny business the first month he'll make a deal with me (but we'll see about that one ) haha

I guess I just have to get over what I've heard about these things...

And yeah, about speakers, I assumed celestion Vintage 30's are a good standby for high gain/metal usage. Any other recommendations?

Also...
Quote by AeolianSeventh
if it does die I'll fix it for $50+shipping!

You serious? Don't be surprised if I take you up on an offer in the future!
Taylor 214CE

The problem with Bugeras is, like I said, they tended to stick sensitive parts right next to the tubes, which would then get overheated and die. They fixed that in 2009, IIRC. It would do it the first time I was run in a hot room for a couple hours. So you're right, the two-week rule's pretty good.

V30s are good--my favorite Celestions, anyway--but I personally like that Warehouse Veteran 30 better. It's a copy of the Celestion, but without as much of a mid spike. Another good option is to go on Eminence's web site and listen to the demos for every single speaker--make sure to bring a pillow and something to drink, 'cause there are a lot. I heard somewhere the Eminence Governor was the same as a V30, and the Red Fang was the same as a Greenback, but I'm not sure about either. I wouldn't use one of their Patriot series for anything high gain, though, unless you've got a warmer speaker paired with it. I've got the Screaming Eagle and it gets a little harsh with really intense distortion.

And yeah, man, if it breaks I'll fix you up.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
The problem with Bugeras is, like I said, they tended to stick sensitive parts right next to the tubes, which would then get overheated and die. They fixed that in 2009, IIRC. It would do it the first time I was run in a hot room for a couple hours. So you're right, the two-week rule's pretty good.

Since the one I'm interested in is a 2008, should I be worried?
Taylor 214CE

Nope. Like I said, first time it was run in a hot room it would have burned up. It still might have a bit more of a heat problem than other amps, but as long as you don't leave it on standby while you drive to Philadelphia for a cheesesteak, you should be okay.
By the way, I just looked at the guitar in your sig...Topanga's a beauty! I've never seen a top like that on an Ibanez. Gorgeous.
my 333xl has never stopped working. mine did go skitz yesterday but that was my fault with poor cables ect and its fine now,
the amp is worth way more then the asking price, if it does go bad you know it will be the plastic connecter and is an easy fix with plenty of resources available on how to do it .
p.s it beats spending much much (MUCH) more on something the same but has the word "peavey" on the front.
pps IMO all your paying for with them is simply to have the word "peavey" on it
Last edited by stig354 at May 19, 2011,
350 used?

Totally not worth it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
350 used?

Totally not worth it.

+1

That's less than $200 off new price, and the new ones aren't as well known for reliability issues as that model. I'd much rather wait for a Peavey XXX or Ultra to show up around the same price.

If you're telling yourself you need to 'get over' concerns with a purchase... You're making a bad decision. That's just a rule with any large purchase. Instincts are usually correct on these things.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!