So I'm looking into getting a good bass for shits n giggles (I'm a guitarist mostly), and I love the look of the 4003S. Problem is, I really don't know anything about basses, what makes one better than the other and such, and if I'm putting this much money into an instrument, I want to know that it's not poorly placed. The style would mostly be heavy, fuzzy, rock stuff. Think DFA 1979 or Muse, for the most part. Is this a good choice for such music?

Side note: What would be a good, cheap amp with enough wattage to play with other people and takes kindly to pedals?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

First, I'll make a few points about getting a Rickenbacker:

1) The 4003S has been discontinued since '95, so you'll either have to find a used one, or go for a normal 4003. Either route will be very very expensive.
2) Ricks have a very particular sound and feel, they're fantastic basses, but they're the kind of bass you only get if you absolutely know you want the Rick tone, and you've tried one before and know you like the feel of it. For a guitarist looking for a bass to dabble on, a Rick is probably one of the last basses I'd recommend being as its such a niche instrument, unless you're absolutely in love with one and you've had a good go on a 4001/4003.

Buying basses is like buying guitars, its very subjective and there are a lot of different kinds out there. The best thing you can do is go to a store and start trying basses out to get an idea of what you like. That being said, we can always give suggestions and help narrow your search down, but to do that we'll need to know your budget.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'd like to keep it under $1,500 used.

What would you say is the Rick's niche? My ability to go out and play one is a bit limited.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
I'd like to keep it under $1,500 used.

What would you say is the Rick's niche? My ability to go out and play one is a bit limited.

Quote by Tostitos
2) Ricks have a very particular sound and feel, they're fantastic basses, but they're the kind of bass you only get if you absolutely know you want the Rick tone, and you've tried one before and know you like the feel of it.

The sound is VERY unique to the Ricks, and they can't really get any other timbre than that Rick sound. They tend to be quite heavy, and all the Ricks I've played have a horrible lacquer finish on the back of the necks. That being said, if I had the money I'd jump on one in a heart beat.

Most of the time the advice for these kinda threads in this forum is to go out and try it, and in this case I can't stress that enough. Rickenbackers aren't exactly the go to instrument for beginners, and it's kinda pointless buying such an expensive instrument for "shits and giggles".
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Not a beginner, I've been playing guitar for years. My guitar rig is all set, so I've got nothing else to put my disposable income towards, so why not go for something nice?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Not a beginner, I've been playing guitar for years.

=/= bassist. If you feel comfortable dropping such an amount of money on it, then go ahead. But I personally wouldn't advise it. Remember to try it out first, or at least some form of Rick!

Edit:

Quote by Tostitos
You have so many options, the best thing you can do is get some hands-on time with as many basses as you can, do a little research, and narrow down from there. Good places to start would be with Fender American Standard Precisions and Jazz's, they're the gold standards of basses. And of course a Rick 4003 if you can.

+1
Quote by skater dan0
Ricks have a very distinctive treble-y punch to them. That's not to say you can't use one for a variety of different genre's/music, but they do have a very distinctive sound. The feel is also a love it/hate it thing. Plenty of people swear by them, and plenty of people hate playing them. It's just not the best bass to buy blind online without trying it first.

You have so many options, the best thing you can do is get some hands-on time with as many basses as you can, do a little research, and narrow down from there. Good places to start would be with Fender American Standard Precisions and Jazz's, they're the gold standards of basses. And of course a Rick 4003 if you can.

EDIT: ninja'd
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at May 19, 2011,
Yeah, I know, but the basic finger skills remain.

That aside, how would you describe the Rickenbacker tone? And while it would obviously fit with the Death From Above sound, would it be good for Muse?

EDIT: ^ Thanks for the tonal description.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at May 19, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xsRgKsG1I

^That's your typical Rick sound, but most people couple with an overdrive of some sort and it get can get very ballsy.

Chris does use a Rickenbacker, but only for Knights of Cydonia. I don't see how it wouldn't work though, just experiment with your technique to obtain that softer tone he uses.
Quote by skater dan0
Thanks, that helped a lot.

So any thoughts on a low cost ($500 or so) amp that would take fuzz well and be heard in a full mix?

Quote by bogg808

Bass amps aren't like guitar amps in the way that they take pedals, there aren't really any specific amps that take pedals better than others.

I'm guessing you're in America? In that case, have a look at some combos (or a half stack if you can afford it, not sure on what the prices are) made by Acoustic, Ashdown, Trace Elliott, Peavey. You're gonna need something that's at least 200 watts, the more you can afford the better. Don't noglect the second hand market, you can get some amazing deals. Avoid Behringer like the plague.
Quote by skater dan0
What's the verdict on tubes vs solid state in bass amps?

Quote by bogg808

Tubes aren't worth it unless you're spending big bucks. The only cheaper tube head I'd buy is the Ashdown Little Bastard, which is still pretty expensive. Solid state bass amps aren't nearly ass bad as they are for guitars, they're much more common in the bass world.

I'm sure somebody else can give you much better answer, I've got an exam to go
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by mcraddict81592
What's the verdict on tubes vs solid state in bass amps?

Its nothing like it is with guitarists and their tube-fetishes.

There are some folks out there who are die-hard tube fans, and love nothing more then a classic Ampeg SVT sound. However, all-tube bass amps are 1) notoriously heavy and 2) extremely expensive in most cases. The cheapest I can think of is a used Traynor YBA and the head alone will still be over your budget. Bassists have widely accepted and embraced solid state amps, and as a result we have awesome SS and hybrid amps which are a far cry from the cheap SS and modelers guitarists love to hate. In fact, most bass amps you'll run across these days are most likely going to be either SS or hybrid.

EDIT: ninja'd again, damnit Conor! It's 3am here, I must be slowing down.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at May 19, 2011,
Okay, 4x10 vs 1x15. What's the tonal difference?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Okay, 4x10 vs 1x15. What's the tonal difference?

The 4x10 is going to have crisper highs with good low end definition while to 1x15 is going to be bit darker in the highs with a loose low end.

EDIT:It's 3AM here so yeah my help isn't going to be all that helpful.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 19, 2011,
You guys have already been way more helpful than most of the GG&A is, I think I'm off to a pretty good start now.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Tostitos
EDIT: ninja'd again, damnit Conor! It's 3am here, I must be slowing down.

Haha, you're answer was still a whole load more informing anyway
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by mcraddict81592
You guys have already been way more helpful than most of the GG&A is, I think I'm off to a pretty good start now.

we are the most helpful board on UG. or were we the friendliest? i dunno, we were one of them in the vote.

anyway nothing I can say that hasn't been said really. but what I would do is go to your nearest guitar center and just play basses untill you find a neck you like. most guitarists get along with the thin necks of fender jazz basses. they would also get the higher end tone of a rick. music man stingrays would be a good bet as well.
no sir away a papaya war is on