Google is being difficult, so I decided I'd just come here.

I'm looking into possibly getting a Line 6 half stack. Specifically, I'm interested mostly in the Flextone and the Vetta. Possibly a Spider Valve, but not as much as the others.

What are the differences between these two, exactly? And differences between different models (Flextone I, II or II, or Vetta I or II)? And how do those amps compare in terms of features, and just straight up sonically, to a Spider?

Lastly, given a hypothetical budget of about $500, which of these models would you recommend?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd recommend not getting a half stack. With $500 you can get a nicer sounding combo that is both more practical for home practice and loud enough for gigs.

What style do you play?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Flextones are older, Vetta are generally better. Vetta II is the best of those. With a budget of $500 though (and providing you're definitely wanting to go with a modeling amp), I'd most definitely go with a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. And not a half stack :P
Last edited by Ultima2876 at May 19, 2011,
I'm aware that there are much more economical options. The budget is hypothetical. This isn't really a what amp thread, more of me just trying to educate myself about these particular amps.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm pretty sure they're all old tech at this stage, man.

I *think* the flextones use POD V2 models, and the Vettas use the X3 models.

The current gen is the POD HDs and the DT-30/50, as far as I'm aware.
Quote by Ultima2876
Flextones are older, Vetta are generally better. Vetta II is the best of those. With a budget of $500 though (and providing you're definitely wanting to go with a modeling amp), I'd most definitely go with a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. And not a half stack :P

+1

Vypyrs are much better in my experience, also consider that half stacks actually take up a huge wad of space where as combo will not and still be plenty loud enough.
Yeah but... combos sounds like combo.... Stacks sound like stacks, and stacks sound BIG.

Maybe it's just a placebo...

Anyway, if it was for gigging, another idea would be to use a POD HD500, and run the jack out into a combo (tube, if you like, for the purists) for your stage noise, and the DI into the front house for your actual sound.

To add my two cents, I love that big wall-of-gain sound you can get from a recto, and in pursuit of it actually bought a triple rec and matching cab, and ended up selling it. It was pretty, it had the mojo, and god did it have the sound, but the pod got so close to the sound as to make it semi-pointless to own both. The pod is 1/10th the weight and space, has a lot more flexibility, and is at LEAST half the price, is not far less. I heart Line6.
They can't be that outdated, can they? I mean, Nine Inch Nails recorded with them, at least for The Fragile and With Teeth, and they've never struck me as ever having bad tone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Basically
flextone 2 = pod 2
flextone 3= some of pod xt
vetta = pod x3 series before the pod x3 series in an amp..
There's nothing wrong with them, but I don't think there's anythign they can offer that the newer tech can't do better.

NIN also have a very fuzzy, lo-fi sound, so crystal-clear reproduction of boutique amps probably isn't that high up on their agenda. Certainly doesn't mean it won't sound good, though.

Without A/Bing them, I certainly can't say for sure, but that would be my surmise. I guess it gets blurrier when you're fusing guitar guitar with tech gear. Like, there's no way you'd buy a 3 year old computer over a new one, whereas people often tend to prefer older gear. I guess it'd probably be a very individual choice as far as Line6 gear goes. They have a lot of haters but I've stuck by them for a decade and never been let down.

Go play a vetta, see if it grabs you.
I guess I should mention, I know basically nothing about Line 6. I'm not even sure what the pods do/are.

=/

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
FWIW I've heard theres some pretty cool third party software mods for the vetta that may be worth checking out.
Do you think the Spider Valve would sound better than a Vetta? More "real", I guess?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No it doesnt.

The best "amp" line 6 did before this new DT is the HD147 IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Oh yeah, I forgot about the HD147. Doesn't that amp not have effects built in though?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X