basically ive seen it a couple of times now and some tablature is blocked due to copyright issues, is it just me or is that bullshit?
Bullshit it is.

Gee, if I lose UG, I don't know what the I'd...wait...what the fvck? This site is for tabs?
Music execs are dicks. I think that's about it. Sadly, they have the power to strong-arm UG.
But what's then stopping you just googling the tab? It'll be on 911tabs or some other place

And preventing tabs from being accessed is stupid, if you can learn the songs of a band you like, the more involved you become - therefore more likely to buy records and merchandise. Which means i concur about this copyright law, it's utterly stupid - and could well cost the people who make the music.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
it's utterly stupid - and could well cost the people who make the music.

They never were the smartest bunch to begin with.
it sucks, i'd understand if all the tabs were copied straight from books but most of them are simply UG users' transcriptions, and i'm not quite sure how they are capable of having them blocked when it isnt their work to block.
Quote by Spud Spudly
They never were the smartest bunch to begin with.

It just constantly annoys me that intelligence is an after thought, as in after employing the scum of the earth (lawyers).
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by beatreebor
it sucks, i'd understand if all the tabs were copied straight from books but most of them are simply UG users' transcriptions, and i'm not quite sure how they are capable of having them blocked when it isnt their work to block.

What if I listened to someone read a book and then I wrote down the words and tried to sell them or market them for some website or whatever? Should that be OK?

(Personally, I'd like access to every tab under the sun. I'm just saying that the "user transcription" argument doesn't really fly - IMHO.)
Quote by beatreebor
This annoys me the most.

Sure UG were always making money off users hard work but it was a two way deal - users provide the tabs which generate income for UG and UG provides somewhere for them to host them. It was a win-win situation.

Now it just seems wrong that you can spend ages working out a song by ear AND writing it down (often for me the writing is the longest part) only for UG to now tell you that you can't access it because live outside the US.

What little motivation there was for people to tab songs is slowly being eroded away. I work songs by ear all the time but I rarely bothered tabbing and submitting them anymore, and it's stuff like this which makes it feel like it's not worth the bother.
Quote by Spud Spudly
What if I listened to someone read a book and then I wrote down the words and tried to sell them or market them for some website or whatever? Should that be OK?

(Personally, I'd like access to every tab under the sun. I'm just saying that the "user transcription" argument doesn't really fly - IMHO.)

It's not selling or marketing though, the contributer gains nothing material for their submission.

If anything it's just community spirit, the contributer does not have to share what they have worked out or transcribed to anyone or for anything, they have done it purely because if someone likes the song, they can learn it. I feel it's relatively disgusting to try and prohibit that.

And as for 'fame', i mean can you really name any contributors? Even if you can, it's just knowledge of a keen contributer and is recognized as such, they still make no profit out of their contributions.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
It's not selling or marketing though, the contributer gains nothing material for their submission.

If anything it's just community spirit, the contributer does not have to share what they have worked out or transcribed to anyone or for anything, they have done it purely because if someone likes the song, they can learn it. I feel it's relatively disgusting to try and prohibit that.

And as for 'fame', i mean can you really name any contributors? Even if you can, it's just knowledge of a keen contributer and is recognized as such, they still make no profit out of their contributions.

The website (UG) is gaining something by hosting it here and getting more traffic from it. Regardless, it's still a matter of the right to copy someone else's work. Just because you do it by ear instead of reading it out of a book doesn't really change anything. Which is too bad because I want tabs too.
Quote by Spud Spudly
The website (UG) is gaining something by hosting it here and getting more traffic from it. Regardless, it's still a matter of the right to copy someone else's work. Just because you do it by ear instead of reading it out of a book doesn't really change anything. Which is too bad because I want tabs too.

But, UG isn't the only site that can host tabs. And naturally, people don't give a **** about the brand of UG, lets be honest. All they care about is the tabs if that's what they come on for, if they can't access the tabs here, they will go elsewhere. They don't pay for UG, so why should they stay if services that were previously free, are now removed? Especially when the services are provided elsewhere.

As for traffic, i think the forums get more traffic than the tabs themselves.

As for copying someone else's work, i don't dispute the argument - but the official tab books are actually someone else working out another artists work then producing iy in a book. It rarely is the musician themselves that does the book. Granted, this is generally given publication rights and so on.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster