So, after couple years playing my cheap Grassroots SG I've decided on getting a new guitar. As I am a "versatile" player, i.e. I don't only shred, so I'd like the guitar to be suitable for both downtuned metal and clean playing. I would like the guitar to have a floyd rose, but it is not necessary if the other specs are good. The model should be superstrat or a similar one. I play stuff like Porcupine Tree, Opeth and Between the Buried and Me...

I have been looking at a couple of different brands. All the guitars would be around 1000 euro's (1400 dollars) give or take a couple hundred.

1. Ibanez, how is the basswood body compared to the other brands I have named? Also the tremolo is a question if it is as good as the other's... RG2570 for instance...

2. PRS SE Torero or SE Custom 24

3. ESP or an ESP LTD.

I will also get a new amp at the same time, you could also give me your thoughts on the amps for the tune I am looking for. Thank you in advance
Fight the evolution, play large intervals!
Last edited by Tupu at May 19, 2011,
the PRS and high end LTD'sare going to be your best bet as far as build quality. Basswood isn't the worst wood to use, but is not as good quality as the PRS and LTD's Mahogany w/ maple cap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What kind of amp are you using now?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A roland 60 cube, and I just can't stand it's tone anymore. I'll probably sell it at the same time as I change my amp.
If you are going to switch tuning inbetween songs: don't get a guitar with a double locking tremolo (such as Floyd Rose-systems). It would take you ages to get it right and can't be done live/whilst practising.

For your questions:

1. Try a Basswood Ibanez in that range to see if you like it. And the trems in that price category are good. You should get it set-up before you leave though, they should do that when buying such an expensive guitar.

2. No idea on this. Sorry.

3. Try it out! I think most of the times the ESP is going to be very expensive and not such a difference in quality, but I've never tried out myself.

Some more advice: just get something you like after you've tried it a couple of times!

What is your budget on the amp?
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
I'm going to try out all the guitars if I just get the chance, and I really have no idea for my budget on the amp, probably less than 500 euroes. And I know the floyd rose's problem with tuning, that's why I won't be selling my current guitar away

And looking at the Ran guitars, I prefer the Cruiser body. But if I would go for a handbuilt custom guitar, I'd probably go for a Amfisound guitar (a finnish producer...)
Quote by Robbgnarly
the PRS and high end LTD'sare going to be your best bet as far as build quality. Basswood isn't the worst wood to use, but is not as good quality as the PRS and LTD's Mahogany w/ maple cap.

fail
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tupu
I'm going to try out all the guitars if I just get the chance, and I really have no idea for my budget on the amp, probably less than 500 euroes. And I know the floyd rose's problem with tuning, that's why I won't be selling my current guitar away

And looking at the Ran guitars, I prefer the Cruiser body. But if I would go for a handbuilt custom guitar, I'd probably go for a Amfisound guitar (a finnish producer...)

the crusher is the only affordable one, since its not neck thru the other ones are about twice the price
i dont think an ltd or prs se can compete with a hand-made in europe custom guitar built to your specs
Ran? I would stay far far away, you hear more horror stories than you do good these days.

Hey TS you have about a 1000 euros you want to spend and your interested in PRS?

Check out PRS CEs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-CE24-Red-Black-Sunburst-1993-Great-Condition-/200608895550?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb538d23e#ht_503wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Paul-Reed-Smith-PRS-CE22-Wine-Red-/290565201840?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a7091fb0#ht_6820wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-USA-Paul-Reed-Smith-PRS-CE22-Gold-Top-/290566098067?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a716cc93

They are pretty bloody awesome and would do what you want perfectly.

Quote by Robbgnarly

Go away if your going to talk shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
As I am a gear noob, I have no idea why you are dissing him. Is basswood really shitty, or what?

Oh yeah, why didn't I even consider buying it secondhand? Stupid me...

And I actually found a Ran Cruiser used for 800 e from a finnish flea market for musicians....
^ he's sorta wrong on several levels (Robbgnarly, not Tom ). First of all, yeah, cheap basswood is crappy, but then most cheapo woods are. Good basswood is pretty good, if you like its tone. Either he's only tried bad basswood, in which case he shouldn't be saying it's bad, or he has tried good basswood but just doesn't like it, in which case he should make clear that that's his own opinion, rather than a fact.

Then regarding mahogany, those cheaper Korean- (or Indonesian-) made guitars aren't gonna be using south american mahogany (the really good stuff), or even African mahogany (pretty good, if not technically really mahogany either), odds are they're using that asian mystery mahogany which isn't even real mahogany. While it doesn't necessarily sound "bad" per se, it's debatable if it sounds any better than basswood, certainly good basswood. And the worse varieties of it (the cheaper mahogany, I mean) don't sound all that great at all.

Further, a lot of those cheaper guitars only use the maple as a veneer, and if that's the case on those guitars, it's not going to affect the tone. Some cheaper guitars use a thicker plain maple top with a figured veneer, and if that's the case then the maple will affect the tone. but if it's only a veneer, it won't.

Finally, PRS SEs and even high end LTDs aren't going to be better in terms of build quality than genuine ESP (i.e. the Japanese-made ones) or even MIJ Prestige Ibanezes.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Ran? I would stay far far away, you hear more horror stories than you do good these days.

that would be my concern, too. Back in the day they had a pretty good rep, but there were a bunch of horror stories over at the seven string forum (i think? I don't go there, just someone said there had been a bunch of horror stories and gave me a link).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 19, 2011,
okay, thanks. The finnish custom manufacturer is quite good, but so is the price. A used v-model sells for 1700 euros...

What does the CE stand for in PRS guitars? Classic Edition?
i should know, but I can't think off-hand

regardless of what it stands for, as far as i'm aware the CEs have bolt-on necks, so they're a bit different to most other PRSes. Nice guitars though, and as far as i'm aware built to the same standards as the custom 22 and 24, just with the bolt-on maple neck instead of glued-in mahogany (which saves a bit of money).

EDIT: I haven't tried the torero, but the SEs I've tried weren't all that great. They weren't terrible or anything but I thought they were pretty meh. Maybe we get the rejects here in northern ireland, but if we don't, and the ones I tried were representative of them all... i think you can get better value elsewhere.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?