So next weekend I'm ordering in my first 7 string. I'm getting the Ibanez RG7321 which I know isn't the best on the market but I just can't afford to go too much higher right now.

My plan is to upgrade the pickups when I have more cash.

I was looking at putting in a set of Dimarzio D activors, but I was hoping to get an idea of what other Pups I could consider.

Ultimately I play progressive metal and stuff so tight low end and clarity at high gain would be great , but I like to experiment too, so some nice cleans would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
Well i dont know what to think of 7 strings, ive owned one for about 2 years now and i must say... Its a lot harder... I have a B.c Rich Warlock 7 string with an ibenez head stock and honestly, its actually a great guitar, tho if you try to play something that is for that 6 string then you are up for quite the challenge! If you need some advice, the most helpful thing i can find about it is.... The highest string for a 4 string bass, it can be used to replace your bottom string!

BTW: seven string players should have their own group... what do u think?
"My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. it is who i am."-Joan Jett
I just put in blackouts in mine. You COULD do EMG's but you will have to route out the pickup cavity. Seymour Duncan makes a passive shaped pickup for seven strings. That also depends if you want active pickups. It's not hard to get used to a seven string either. Just takes a week or so if even that.

Also I don't know if there is a group but there is a thread. The link is in my sig.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Last edited by xkreedx at May 19, 2011,
You get used to the 7-string after a while, I adapted to it quite easily which surprised me, being a person who's played C-shape Strat necks every time before that.

Take a look at some other DiMarzios as well, a common pairing that's been recommended by tons of people I asked was the Air Norton 7 and a Blaze in the bridge. I may plan to do this with my RG 7421, but I've been looking around a lot for better options because I want to have those nice cleans like yourself!

If you're into prog, then I'm guessing you've heard of Periphery, but in case you haven't, they get a lot of really nice cleans along with their "djent" tones. Misha swears by a brand called Bareknuckle pickups, which actually sound quite good. Look up their website, they've got a ton of sound samples up there for listening.
Musical things I do
http://www.youtube.com/user/CGuitar2112

GEAR
Ibanez RG 7421
Ibanez S470DXQM - Viking Red
Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 828 RN
Greg Bennet Custom
Peavey Raptor I
Atomic Reactor 112 Amp
Line 6 POD HD w/ MkII Express
I recomend you get an Ibanez RG7421 or RG7621 rather than the RG7321. They are both discontinued and they were made from 97-2001 IIRC. Your probably thinking, why would I get a used old guitar rather than a brand new one? The Ibanez Prestige's made today (You know, the expensive ones) are made in Japan. Most of Ibanezes guitars were made in Japan before 2002 and they are much higher quality.

But anyways, whatever you get, unless its an RG7621 will need a pickup upgrade. I have D-Activators in a 6 and I like them. I don't recommend the neck D-Activator though. It's quite harsh. I'd recommend a Liquifire in the neck.

Passives can get get kind of muddy in 7's so you have to be careful. I like my tone SUPER clear and bright. The basswood is pretty bright naturally so the muddiness cant be too bad. Although, I find even the Evo to be a bit un clear in low tunings (Drop G#) so I'm trying to get another 7 with actives for lower tunings.
I'd suggest looking for a used RG7621/7421 instead... you can get one for less than you can buy a 7321 new. My RG7421 was $350 with Dimarzio pickups, straplocks, and a hardshell case.

As for pickups, yes, Bare Knuckle is good, but not necessary. You can get great tone out of regular Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, etc. without spending like $250 just for new pickups.

If you're looking to play progressive, I wouldn't recommend the D-Activators.

For the bridge pickup I'd suggest a Crunch Lab or Evo 7.
For the neck pickup I'd recommend the Liquifire, Evo 7 neck, or Blaze 7 neck.

I'm currently running a 6 string RG570 with the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo and it sounds great. The Crunch Lab is aggressive and driving but retains clarity very well at high gain and low tunings (it's in D standard with a drop A tuning at the moment). The Liquifire is a pretty literal name- it's hot, but alnico so not biting, and it's smooth as butter.

My 7 string RG7421 has the Evo 7 bridge and Blaze 7 neck pickups. I was kind of unsure of how good they'd sound for progressive metal, but I was pleasantly surprised. The Evo 7 has a somewhat mid-y tone which works really well for progressive, and the Blaze 7 is also a fairly smooth neck pickup. It's ceramic, but is very tame.

EDIT: Damn, Levi beat me to it this time!

I swear I always see the both of us posting in the same threads recommending that someone look into used, MIJ Ibanezes.
If you're keeping it in B Standard tuning and you play lead at all then the Evo 7 is good for the bridge. The 7th string will get terribly muddy if you use a really heavy string gauge and down tune but for regular 7 string B tuning it's great for leads and well above average for rhythm. They've got a little more mids and a little more classic tone than the 6 string Evo which is a lead-only pickup. The Evo 7 is the perfect prog metal pickup.

Seymour Duncan JB 7 and Custom 7 are both good for rhythm. The JB has slightly less harsh treble but its 7th string can get muddy if you down tune. The Custom 7 is better with heavy string gauges and down tuning but the highest strings can sound very bright. Jazz 7 is a great neck pickup for any style that needs a smooth neck tone but which keeps the 7th string clear.

The D Activators are okay but they're very bland and boring. They'll offer a clarity and response upgrade from the stock pickups but that's it. Don't count on them to give you any particular lead or rhythm tone. If you want the same tone as stock pickups but just higher qualityt hen go with them. If you have a particular kind of lead or rhythm tone in mind then there will be something else better for you.
Quote by Pac_man0123
EDIT: Damn, Levi beat me to it this time!

I swear I always see the both of us posting in the same threads recommending that someone look into used, MIJ Ibanezes.

On a budget, they are basically the best you can get until you get to guitars $800+ new IMO, that is, if you like Ibanez.

I think my next guitar is going to be something different though, I'm thinking I'm going to grab a Schecter Hellraiser 7 C7 as soon as I get some more cash together. For lower stuff like Drop G# and below, I think the active pickups and extended scale length would be beneficial. And I want to kind of play the field with 7's.

Quote by grohl1987
The 7th string will get terribly muddy if you use a really heavy string gauge and down tune but for regular 7 string B tuning it's great for leads and well above average for rhythm.

This is true.

Quote by grohl1987
The D Activators are okay but they're very bland and boring. They'll offer a clarity and response upgrade from the stock pickups but that's it. Don't count on them to give you any particular lead or rhythm tone. If you want the same tone as stock pickups but just higher qualityt hen go with them. If you have a particular kind of lead or rhythm tone in mind then there will be something else better for you.

This is not true (IMO), I've had 8 or 9 (not counting stock ones unless they are high grade) different bridge pickups in guitars over the 3.5 years I've played. The D-Activator and the Bill Lawrence XL-500 (yeah, Dimebag phase) were the ones that changed my tone the most. The D-Activator is bright, tight and has alot of midrange to it. This makes it perfect for drop tunings and "Djent". I have had it in Drop B and it was basically the answer to my prayers. I love the bridge pickup, but wouln't recommend the neck.
I've got D Activators in two guitars. They're very bland pickups. If you think they have a lot of mids and are bright then god knows what you'd make of a JB or an Evo 2. The closest D activators can be called is thin and harsh.