Of a guitar that may go up in value in the future, will it lose value if the pickups hve been swapped ( assuming i'd still keep the original pups ).

Does value decrease as soon as electronics have even been touched?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
As long as you keep the original pickups it won't make a difference - it's not like it's an irreversible modification.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Unless you have a highly vintage collectable instrument with sought after pickups, then it does not decrease the value at all. But do keep the originals just in case.
Great thanks! If i swap out a tone pot to put in a killswitch ( but keep the pot and wiring ) that's still an easily reversible mod?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
it only decreases when it a sought after thing...something rare or discontinued...you might actually get more if you put in nice pickups

i think anyway
^unfortunately, aftermarket pickups don't really increase the value of a guitar either. A used les paul studio is going to cost you about $700-$800 on average, but no one is going to pay $1000 for one just because someone threw some Seymour Duncans in there. When you swap pickups and you keep them in when you sell the guitar, expect to take a loss on the value of the pickups.

Quote by bluezombie
Great thanks! If i swap out a tone pot to put in a killswitch ( but keep the pot and wiring ) that's still an easily reversible mod?
That's fine, no one will care about the pot and wire, that's about $6 worth of parts. And it's a reversible mod so you can always revert it back to the way it was.
Last edited by al112987 at May 19, 2011,
It would have to be a really great upgrade for you to get any value back when you sell it.
yeah, generally keep the old pickups... for some reason guitars tend to be worth more in their original state (even if the stock pickups were terrible and the upgrades great), or at very least, aren't worth any more with pickup upgrades.

so you might as well keep the upgraded pickups and either sell them separately for more cash, or put them into your new guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies, all!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
If you changed the electronics, then changed them back, who would ever know anything was changed at all? That's a good way to look at it, IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Aftermarket pickups never raise the value but they can lower it unless you can prove they were installed perfectly. If you take them out and put the stock ones back in then that can still devalue the guitar too unless you can reinstall them flawlessly with no signs they were ever changed.