Hey guys. I need to get my guitar a full set up. what's a reasonable price. Don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks

btw. my guitar is a schecter damien 6
Depends... ask around your area. A setup usually cost about $40 or so depending on what they actually do. Some will run more than that.
the most expensive one I ever got was 65 (I think) bucks from an awesome place in phoenix. It was amazing though. My guitar has never played so well!
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
A setup at my music shop ( action, intonation, new strings etc...) usually runs me around 40-50
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Depends on where you are. I just got a full setup + strings for $65, but that was from one of the top luthiers in New York City. $65 is actually pretty reasonable in that area.
Every setup is overpriced. You can learn to do it yourself for free... it's quite easy, actually.

Not trying to put you down, just giving some good money saving advice. Why spend hundreds through the years for something you can do in less than an hour?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Every setup is overpriced. You can learn to do it yourself for free... it's quite easy, actually.

Not trying to put you down, just giving some good money saving advice. Why spend hundreds through the years for something you can do in less than an hour?

i agree with this, but it's something you've gotta learn how to do properly really, and it's best to practice on an old beater guitar than your main axe

although the problem with paying a guitar tech to do it is, a guitar tech probably has a different idea of how a guitar should be set up, to how you actually want it set up. i'm willing to pay a tech to set up guitars that i'm not too comfortable setting up myself, but i usually have to take the guitar back several times and say "the action is still too low!" even though the local guitar tech knows me and knows exactly how i like my guitars to be set up they take pride in their low action, these techs
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube

although the problem with paying a guitar tech to do it is, a guitar tech probably has a different idea of how a guitar should be set up, to how you actually want it set up.

Yes, this too I forgot to say.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Blompcube
i agree with this, but it's something you've gotta learn how to do properly really, and it's best to practice on an old beater guitar than your main axe

although the problem with paying a guitar tech to do it is, a guitar tech probably has a different idea of how a guitar should be set up, to how you actually want it set up. i'm willing to pay a tech to set up guitars that i'm not too comfortable setting up myself, but i usually have to take the guitar back several times and say "the action is still too low!" even though the local guitar tech knows me and knows exactly how i like my guitars to be set up they take pride in their low action, these techs

I agree too that setups are a lot but I feel like it was worth it. Besides the fact that I don't really know how to do it and don't have all the tools, it's also about building a relationship with a good luthier. Now that I know this guy and he's worked on my guitar I can go back to him for anything and I have his cell number and can call him for advice or whatever. That for me is really the best part about it. (I also had him replace a broken tuner on an old acoustic and restring that for $25.)

As far as him knowing what I like, I just told him and he did it. He also guarantees setups for 30 days so if I play it and don't like I can take it back for free adjustments.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at May 19, 2011,
$65 in Fl too, but if it has a Floyd then it jumps to $100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The last time I got a full setup on a new guitar it was $30 from my local guitar store.