I have been playing for about a year and a half. I have quite a bit of experience playing black/doom metal but very little when it comes to death metal.

I am looking to start playing some death metal and I thought doing some covers and just getting to grips with the genre that way would be cool.

Some of my favourite DM bands are: Edge of Sanity, Death, Opeth, In Mourning, Bolt Thrower and Carcass.

I have picked out 2 songs so far but am looking for about 10ish.
Deicide - Lunatic of Gods Creation
Crytopsy - Graves of the Fathers.

Thanks.
I know this isn't your typical brutal death or anything but seeing as how you like Carcass and Opeth, maybe some At the Gates?
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I Cum Blood. not even joking.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I wouldn't say that Opeth is simple. You could try Heartwork by Carcass, it isn't that hard.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Just start out with the classics. Anything off the first 2 (or first 3 if you have a 7 string) Morbid Angel albums, some Autopsy, Entombed, Dismember, Suffocation.
Spirit Crusher is one of the easy song by Death, as for the solo I didn't find a tab for it and you may want to wait before you try to do it.

Also some Kalmah, CoB, and Insomnium songs are easy enough
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Kataklysm is amazingly easy to play, especially the rhythm stuffs. The leads aren't too hard if you can get past the speed/tremolo picking.

Like Angels Weeping

and

The Road to Devastation
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Boss Fender 65 dlx reverb pedal
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
I'd go for some polish oldschool, Decapitated, Vader and probably Behemoth.
They are reasonable to play and (especially Vader) give a good feeling of playing DM from the first second on.
Quote by londoncalling!
I have been playing for about a year and a half. I have quite a bit of experience playing black/doom metal but very little when it comes to death metal.

I am looking to start playing some death metal and I thought doing some covers and just getting to grips with the genre that way would be cool.

Some of my favourite DM bands are: Edge of Sanity, Death, Opeth, In Mourning, Bolt Thrower and Carcass.

I have picked out 2 songs so far but am looking for about 10ish.
Deicide - Lunatic of Gods Creation
Crytopsy - Graves of the Fathers.

Thanks.

the band Death isn;t Death, it's thrash. DEicide is the king of religious death metal. Cannibal corpse is the king of gorey death metal. Morbid angel is THE king of death metal
Quote by MegaSteelMaiden
the band Death isn't Death, it's thrash.

I'm sorry what? Blasphemy! Chuck must be rolling in his grave right now.
On topic, I suggest learning any song from Death's album Symbolic, some Obituary, Suffocation, Morbid Angel... Any old school death band
Quote by MegaSteelMaiden
the band Death isn;t Death, it's thrash. DEicide is the king of religious death metal. Cannibal corpse is the king of gorey death metal. Morbid angel is THE king of death metal

Go to hell. Even I don't need genreists.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 19, 2011,
But to be fair, he is right. Musically, Death is much closer to Thrash than it is what came after it.
Quote by MegaSteelMaiden

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by andyscoot
But to be fair, he is right. Musically, Death is much closer to Thrash than it is what came after it.

Not really. I would say of the three "original" DM bands Necrophagia and Possessed are much more similar to thrash metal. Death's first three or so albums are pure OSDM in my opinion.
All 3 of them are. Compare the likes of the first 3 Death records to Obituary, Morbid Angel, Autopsy or even the Nihilist demos. They're the link between Thrash and Death, leaning more to Thrash in my opinion.
Quote by andyscoot
All 3 of them are. Compare the likes of the first 3 Death records to Obituary, Morbid Angel, Autopsy or even the Nihilist demos. They're the link between Thrash and Death, leaning more to Thrash in my opinion.

All early death metal was thrashy sounding, because death metal was born directly of thrash. Listen to "Zombie Ritual" by Death and then "Rapture" by Morbid Angel. If you'd call one of them trash over the other, I fear for you. The idea of calling Death a thrash metal band boggles my mind.
Quote by dudetheman

You need to listen to more early Death Metal then. Zombie Ritual has the thrash beats, Rapture has blast beats. Zombie Ritual has the shrieked vocals wheras Rapture has the deep gutterals. That's a very good example of showing how Thrashy Death actually were.
Quote by andyscoot
You need to listen to more early Death Metal then. Zombie Ritual has the thrash beats, Rapture has blast beats. Zombie Ritual has the shrieked vocals wheras Rapture has the deep gutterals. That's a very good example of showing how Thrashy Death actually were.

Old-school death metal is pretty much the only death metal I listen to. Early Death is obviously thrashy. Any numbskull would tell you that. But the idea of actually classifying it as thrash instead of death metal is, frankly, moronic.
Quote by dudetheman

Well where do you draw the line? Just because some critics said it dosen't make it true. If you do that, then you start wondering where bands like Sepultura, Morbid Saint or Exumer fit into it, as they're just as Thrashy as Death are.

EDIT: But really, compare it to say, Obituary's debut. Not that far in time off Scream Bloody Gore, but it is leagues closer to the Death Metal sound.